Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - Royal Carting Corp - East Fishkill Fire District - 08/29/09

28 posts in this topic

The East Fishkill Fire Department was dispatched by DC911 for a reported structure fire at the "paint shop" at the Royal Carting Corporation on Rte 82 this morning. First arriving units found very heavy smoke pushing from the front of the building which appeared to be the general maintenance garage for Royal Cartings truck fleet. The building was approx 60' w x 100' d and had several vehicles in the same at the time of the fire. The fire produced very heavy smoke which blanketed the local area and provided firefighters with many challenges...... Burning waste motor oil exited the rear of the structure and much of the water runoff contained the oil which contaminated hoses and threatened the environment forcing firefighters and Royal Carting personnel to lay down absorbent booms and pads in an effort to contain the threat........ Here's one photo for now.... More Later........

633558792_SBHFs-X2.jpg

What a Tease!

I'm curious, from an environmental standpoint, just how much waste oil was on the property and how it was stored, that it managed to escape containment and flow freely on the ground...?

Come on Bill...you are killing us herrrre...we wanna see them. Great job to all the Boys and Girls that came out and help, Thanks.

Thomas

I'm curious, from an environmental standpoint, just how much waste oil was on the property and how it was stored, that it managed to escape containment and flow freely on the ground...?

It is speculation on my part but I suspect the oil MAY HAVE been in 55 gallon drums which may have fallen/ruptured/etc...... With large trucks requiring tens of gallons of oil for an oil change I would not consider it unreasonalble to have several 55 gallon drums of fresh and/or waste oil on hand.....

I also didn't post the single photo to tease anybody although it probably may seem that way...... I just haven't had the time to go through them yet and I figured one was better than none.......

It is speculation on my part but I suspect the oil MAY HAVE been in 55 gallon drums which may have fallen/ruptured/etc...... With large trucks requiring tens of gallons of oil for an oil change I would not consider it unreasonalble to have several 55 gallon drums of fresh and/or waste oil on hand.....

I also didn't post the single photo to tease anybody although it probably may seem that way...... I just haven't had the time to go through them yet and I figured one was better than none.......

first one's a great shot, Bill Take your time, when you have time, will be fine. Looks like it was quite a fire!

Here are some more......

634213769_NvHNd-X2.jpg

The truck's in first...... EFFD 39-46 pulls up to the front of the structure....

634214162_cTkAi-X2.jpg

EFFD 39-11 is right behind the truck and it's crew gets to work......

634214956_rMyFB-X2.jpg

Stretching the first line.....

634214555_7PfVj-X2.jpg

Crews wait for water.......

634102274_TrQzo-X2.jpg

Crews encountered heavy fire behind the door.....

634103183_NPfD3-X2.jpg

Giving it a shot......Their line seems as if it's no match for the volume of fire but.....

634216373_gW7n6-X2.jpg

Less than two minutes later, they had the fire knocked down..... Problem was there was plenty more that they couldn't get at..... (The guy in the green is from Royal Carting)

634107553_Yvc3h-X2.jpg

Crews tried to cut the roll-up doors but they proved to be quite the challenge even for the excavator that would be used later to rip them off.....

634227208_rBqu3-X2.jpg

Things are really cooking inside as fire and heavy smoke blows out from behind the heavily distorted roll-up door....

634222007_2cmuU-X2.jpg

Village of Fishkill firefighters removed numerous Acetylene tanks from the uninvolved section of the structure.....

634222165_rLp4e-X2.jpg

Firefighters go on a re-con mission looking for anything that should be removed..... Oddly enough, this area remained virtually unscathed even though their is a significant amount of waste oil on the floor....

634108885_kiLDq-X2.jpg

It's hot..... Flames blow out the front as firefighters wait for more water.....

634223949_wXGj8-X2.jpg

Royal Carting employees were on the scene in force..... Here they move their trucks away from the strucure....

634224836_63A7t-X2.jpg

The view from the rear as burning waste oil flows out of the building....

634225047_jMaGz-X2.jpg

The building was glowing red..... It's amazing it didn't collapse......

634113182_J9eb3-X2.jpg

Hitting it hard..... Firefighters used the towers streams to get at the fire through the front doors.....

634226201_JPiqN-X2.jpg

Making progress......

634225850_s2xA6-X2.jpg

A Village of Fishkill firefighter checks the conditions with his Thermal Imaging Camera.......

634122357_6ubTG-X2.jpg

Pulling the door.......Firefighters shouldn't feel bad, even the excavator had a tough time with the door......

634124151_ZsXGY-X2.jpg

The root of the problem.... One of several burning vehicles is pulled from the structure.....

634226458_DFKdv-X2.jpg

Royal Carting employees put down booms and pads to limit the spread of the waste oil run-off.....

634226898_7ekzu-X2.jpg

One of several porta-tank operations that fed the scene....

People shots.....

634222693_9ht6q-X2.jpg

634112057_2jyM6-X2.jpg

634112687_Me7MV-X2.jpg

634113043_uwDbV-X2.jpg

634117588_nicAW-X2.jpg

634118053_PdtUg-X2.jpg

634120947_DKgYe-X2.jpg

634125383_A2K6t-X2.jpg

Edited by Photounit

Fantastic shots Bill!!!! I'm guessing trash pickup might be a little late this week! :D

good shots bill does anyone know the cause of the fire

Oh my LORD! Amazing fire! AMAZING SHOTS BILL!!!!!!!!!

OODLES of truck work!

Good work by all!

Great shots Bill, as always... great job by all FD's in tough conditions.

Once again, Bill Awesome shots!! Hreat jon by all involved under some extermely tough congitions!!!

post-16297-1251725171.jpg

Looks like one big culvert pipe, great shots as always Bill, thanks for sharing.

Great shots as always Bill. Great work by all that were there. Especially my old house of Hopewell Hose. Keep up the good work all.

Here are some more......

634107553_Yvc3h-X2.jpg

Crews tried to cut the roll-up doors but they proved to be quite the challenge even for the excavator that would be used later to rip them off.....

Great Pictures Bill! This one in particular should be submitted for a Media Contest Award. Mr. Savino.....I would hope you'll have this hanging on your wall (after supporting Bill with a nice photo purchase of course).

Bill,

Once angain...GREAT photos, love to see your dedication, from getting there as the first attack line is being charged, right to the end of the fire.

Joe

There were so many cover quality pics from this job.....

What kind of camera does the photographer use? Aside from being a very good and comprehensive series of photos; covering overviews to up-close personel shots, I don't think I've seen better QUALITY photographs of ANYTHING maybe ever!

Nice job.

What kind of camera does the photographer use? Aside from being a very good and comprehensive series of photos; covering overviews to up-close personel shots, I don't think I've seen better QUALITY photographs of ANYTHING maybe ever!

Nice job.

Some of the best I've ever seen on this site. I especially like the photos of forcible entry and the initial attack. I think OFPC my be looking for photos for their manuals.

Nice job.

Last I heard, Bill uses a 21.4 MP Canon 5D MK II.

Professional level equipment, to say the least.

I don't know what lenses he is working with, but the glass is just as important as the body for capturing good quality images.

Then there is the post production image editing software and the time invested in pulling it all together for publication.

Bill has a unique knack (say that three times fast) for capturing and delivering the intensity of his subjects, and we're very fortunate that he is so generous about sharing his photos with us.

Bill has a unique knack (say that three times fast) for capturing and delivering the intensity of his subjects, and we're very fortunate that he is so generous about sharing his photos with us.

Amazing shots. I just wish we had someone who takes as good as shots as Bill does down here in westchester.

Yes we are very lucky to have Bill along with JetPhoto and JMuller (I think that how you spell it) in the area, they awalys get great shots, some better then other. I awalys know that I'm at a good alarm when one of them are there. Great job once again Bill.

IMHO, some of Bill's best work ever! The man also has the best timing!