Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

S.C. Mayor Bans Police Pursuits on Foot

23 posts in this topic

S.C. Mayor Bans Police Pursuits on Foot

Officer.com/WSPA-TV

September 21, 2009

The mayor of Wellford, S.C. is defending a policy she issued earlier this month which bans police officers from chasing suspects on foot, according to WSPA-TV.

On Sept. 2, Mayor Sallie Peake issued a memo to all of the city's officers that read: "As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever."

Just when you thought you hated YOUR mayor...

This might be the dumbest thing to come out of a politician's mouth this week... I believe another article said this department also has a policy banning vehicle pursuits as well. The lawsuits that will come of this are going to cost a helluva lot more than $20K. Some people just don't think before they come up with policies. Whats REALLY hilarious is this idiot's exchange with the news reporter.

Hopefully the County Sheriff's Officer or the State Troopers can help the Officers in this city do their jobs.

Wow, just... wow.

Edited by SageVigiles

I am appalled. plain and simple. what could her reason possibly be?

Peake told the news station that she issued the mandate because several officers have been injured during chases, driving up insurance costs for the town.

That's as ridiculous as saying you're going to sell off all the snow plows because one got into an accident. Typical knee jerk reactionary policy.

Instead of, as someone else said, improving training and/or fitness to reduce the likelihood of injuries, this is their solution.

HALT! or I will yell HALT! again.

That mental image is going to crack me up all day! That and the image of said bad guy thumbing his nose at the cop as skips to my loo off to his homey's house.

The police "chief" said that if they ID someone, they can get warrants, etc., but what happens when they go to the persons house to arrest them and they run again? Get a double secret warrant?

Solution: Get K9s... "But Ms. Mayor, I didn't chase after the suspect, I was chasing after my dog!"

LOL Bill..........

Once the bad guys realize this (as if the actually READ the paper...) things are gonna get UGLY.....

Too bad that homicide suspect from Mount Vernon didn't run here, he would have been free and clear! Just have a good pair of running shoes, and you can stay on the streets forever!

After suspects start getting run down by police cars she'll rethink the policy. "But, madame mayor, I didn't run after him; I just hit him with the police car."

Epic Fail on the Mayor

What happen IF a Firefighter ends up hurt? No more firefighting in the city :o

Reporter=Owned.

"you are so saweet"

"you got your story, Haleluia"

"I am SO proud of you"

"Ohhh...may God Bless You, God Bless You, God Bless You!!!"

She gave the reporter an Epic Southern-lady-style-curse-out:

STOP or I will keep yelling stop until I lose sight of you and then I will scream STOP so you can hear me as you are running further away from me.

I would love to see the ads her opponent will run for the next election!!!

Peake told the news station that she is not happy about resuming chases, but now, "Officers can do whatever they want."

Really, there are so many ways you can respond to a comment like that,

Epic Fail on the Mayor

What happen IF a Firefighter ends up hurt? No more firefighting in the city :o

Don't give the lady any ideas! :(