Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

Favorite Apparatus Make?

46 posts in this topic

Just wonderign what everyone's favorite Make of Apparatus was and what there Least Favorite was? What do you like about your favorite? What do you dislike about your Least Favorite?

Happy Holidays!

Favorite: E one

Least: Can't say I have one. Even despite the major issues experienced with the Pierce apparatus he had in our department.

ems-buff likes this

Favorite: Without a doubt, MACK (All those built in Allentown, PA followed very closely by Ward 79)

Least: SMEAL - Piece of trash. Out of service more than it is in service. Three (3) engines in the city & non of them can pump capacity.

Favorite would have to be the old Open Cab Maxim F series, followed by the Mack CF's.

FWD's for antiques, more modern E-One or Rosenbauer. Least is either American LaChance probably, although little experience with them, merely heresay from other Jakes.

They don't say built like a MACK truck for nothin'.

While CFs are great and true workhorses, I loved our old open cab '63 C model.

Of what's available today it's a toss up between Seagrave and Pierce...both are generally dependable, well built and relatively durable, but both are costly as well.

As for least favorite: Either of the "ME"s (K or H), Smeal or any other bargain basement hunks rolling around.

Cogs

Favorite Seagrave

2nd favorite Sutphen

and least favorite i really dont have one

Favorite: American LaFrance - Our department has an engine and tower ladder built by them, both are well built and reliable.

My favorite would have to be Sutphen, but Pierce is right behind them. Im more or less talking about favorite look and design rather than how the apparatus performs as I haven't really had the opportunity to use hardly any of the models some of you are talking about.

We have an HME/Saulsbury, Seagrave, ALF, Pierce and two Internationals. The ALF had it's share of issues in the beginning, but has been solid since. The Seagrave and the HME/Saulsbury have been solid rigs and rarely are out of service for mechanical issues.

Aesthetically speaking, I love old rigs - Old ALFs, Macks, Maxims and Ward LaFrances are images that will stay with me forever as "Real American Fire Trucks." I can't get enough of looking at photos of 60s, 70s and early 80s rigs, especially those in the FDNY. Those Mack CFs & ALFs were the best!

My favorite is easy, Hahn. It seemed like the harder we beat on it, the better it preformed. My least favorite, Sutphen tower ladders.....the bucket is useless for anything other than a water tower, and the ground ladders can be a pain to get on and off. The specs have a lot to do with it though. a well planned and laid out apparatus will succeed where a rig not thought out will fail even when made by the same manufacturer

Edited by grumpyff

My favorite is easy, Hahn. It seemed like the harder we beat on it, the better it preformed. My least favorite, Sutphen tower ladders.....the bucket is useless for anything other than a water tower, and the ground ladders can be a pain to get on and off. The specs have a lot to do with it though. a well planned and laid out apparatus will succeed where a rig not thought out will fail even when made by the same manufacturer

Did anyone else notice the Sutphen Tower Ladder as his profile picture? LOL

Did anyone else notice the Sutphen Tower Ladder as his profile picture? LOL

Hence his screenname "Grumpy FF". ;)

Never had the plesure to operate or drive .. S model Maxim

My favorites....that I have operated.... 1973 R model Mack, 1977 Sutphen Tower and 1997 E-One Cyclone.

Least favorite... 1994 Spartan/Smeal

Edited by CHIEFPHIL

Hence his screenname "Grumpy FF". ;)

Hehehe.... I an the lieutenant responsible for Patterson's ladder. Doesn't mean I have to like it....insert sarcasm .....being Lt or being responsible

Mack CF hands down. We ran them until the bodies rotted off from abuse and after that, many were purchased, refurbished and placed back into service by other departments. There are still many in front line service today. Great rigd ... REAL fire trucks ...

Maxim, Seagrave, and Marion are my top 3 favorites

I have the same problem. Have to drive it but hate it. My favorite would be anything Mack and dislike E One and Ferrara

Hehehe.... I an the lieutenant responsible for Patterson's ladder. Doesn't mean I have to like it....insert sarcasm .....being Lt or being responsible

My favorite is probably Crimson.

KME sucks. We have two and we hate them. Plus the service sucks

My favorites:

1) Young.

2) RD Murray.

3) Saulsbury (Tully, NY that is :) )

4) Pierce.

5) Maxim.

6) LTI

7) Sutphen.

8) Crimson.

Least favorites:

1) E-One.

Past:

Maxim

Saulsbury

Mack

Young

Hahn

Crown

Modern Day:

Crimson

Seagrave

Pierce

KME

Gowans Knight

4-Guys

For the money in a suburban department that is not running the wheels off, a Ferrara on a Spartan chassis. Great metal work by Ferrara, and the Spartan cab & chassis is a time proven performer. I liked the body fabrication on a 10 year old Saulsbury Spartan pumperi saw, but do not believe the same folks are still buidling them. Does Alan build metal bodies besides Plastisol?

Favorite, Mack CF, followed by Pierce.

Don't really have a least favorite.

Hey Grumpy, why is it that Patterson seems to have such a love affair with the Sutphens, and when do they plan on replacing the present 22-5-1??

My favorite old fire apparatus is no doubt Mack only. Learned how to drive a firetruck in a MACK. Nothing is meaner than an old CF. No seconds, thats it.

My modern day favorite is Pierce. I think they make one of the meanest looking and solid fire apparatus hands down. I am excited to see what KME builds for us with the new tiller and the delivery of that will end a streak of Spartans that has gone on for too long in my opinion.

Hey Grumpy, why is it that Patterson seems to have such a love affair with the Sutphens, and when do they plan on replacing the present 22-5-1??

Not sure what the attachment to Sutphen was other than the fact they bought one, developed a relationship with them and never went out to bid again. That has since changed and we put our Rescue (which is a Mack / Saulsbury by the way) out to bid and are now expecting delivery of our new SVI Rescue Shortly. Going on our final inspection trip on the 25th this month and should be in service soon thereafter.

By the way, anyone looking to buy a "slightly used" Rescue (see link below) Looking for a good home very soon. Spread the word.

http://www.pattersonfiredept.org/2261.htm

As for the Tower Ladder, No plans at this time to replace it (unfortunately) Would love to get a stick in there instead. I think Grumpy would agree.