Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Police riding as volunteers while on PD time

18 posts in this topic

I just wanted to hear what people think about an issue that was brought to my attention. There is a police officer that also is a volunteer EMT. During the day when his VAC tones out a few times for an EMT, he drives in his patrol car to the VAC and takes the call as an EMT while on PD time. I understand that the argument can be made that he is preserving life but I also understand that he is leaving the town he works for down a police officer. Thoughts?

Edited by PFDRes47cue

I just wanted to hear what people think about an issue that was brought to my attention. There is a police officer that also is a volunteer EMT. During the day when his VAC tones out a few times for an EMT, he drives in his patrol car to the VAC and takes the call as an EMT while on PD time. I understand that the argument can be made that he is preserving life but I also understand that he is leaving the town he works for down a police officer. Thoughts?

I guess as long as he has permission from the supervisor on duty and/or the chief, it probably isn't much of an issue. I'm sure if the town he works for was concerned about it, they'd have told him no from the get go.

fire departments use highway workers during the day when there is manpower problems. This is the same situation. If the supervisor let's them why not?

I believe that if all of the parties involved don't have a problem with it then there isn't really a problem. If people are complaining then it should be brought up with the police department and the VAC. To me I think it is a good way to help the community because an ambulance is getting out to help the taxpayers (and possibly saving a bill from a paid ambulance service).

I've seen, on a few occasions, members of law enforcement who are also volunteer firefighters (in another town) help out on a scene. I won't mention names or departments, but the help was much needed on those occasions where he helped out.

I seriously doubt that he would jeopardize his "day-job" and go out-of-service to do an EMS run, or would do anything similarly, without the knowledge and approval of his superiors.

And so what, if the town/village is paying him his salary while doing an EMS run? That's their business.

I don't think the patient the ambulance was dispatched to, cares, that he was on "company time".

I'd leave it alone. Obsess on something else. He's one for you. Y do they call it an Egg Cream if there's no EGG in it?.. Work on that one for awhile.

fire departments use highway workers during the day when there is manpower problems. This is the same situation. If the supervisor let's them why not?

My Volunteer FD does exactly that. For example, we'll get called to an MVA in the middle of the day, and be short manpower. The town Highway dept will show up and help run tools back and forth and maintain traffic flow.

My Volunteer FD does exactly that. For example, we'll get called to an MVA in the middle of the day, and be short manpower. The town Highway dept will show up and help run tools back and forth and maintain traffic flow.

If his dept allows it, why not!

It is not the same issue. If a town goes down a police officer it is quite different than highway being down a person. Also fire calls take significantly less time than ambulance calls.

I personally do not see it as much of an issue if all parties are aware of the situation. I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions.

I'd leave it alone. Obsess on something else. He's one for you. Y do they call it an Egg Cream if there's no EGG in it?.. Work on that one for awhile.

Y do they call it lobster sauce when there is no lobster in it?

Edited by PFDRes47cue

This a personnel issue that should be discussed with the parties/departments involved, not here. Just my two cents.

Mt thoughts exactly...If you have a "concern", bring it to the chain of command and not to the "chain letter".

Mt thoughts exactly...If you have a "concern", bring it to the chain of command and not to the "chain letter".

I agree. I am not complaining about it, I just wanted to hear opinions and whether this happens frequently.

Greenburgh does it all the time. Actually, the Police department provides the EMS, and is frequently down officers when they go out on EMS calls.

I think this is a department issue....if his department is OK with it, then there isn't an issue. I'm sure there isn't any abuse or malicous intent in this. Especially if the department is staffed properly.

The only issue I see is this is another "band aid fix" to Westchester's "Wait and Bleed" EMS system. This just continues to cover up major issues that will never be properly noticed or fixed.

It is not the same issue. If a town goes down a police officer it is quite different than highway being down a person. Also fire calls take significantly less time than ambulance calls.

It is actually the same issue. It is a municipal employee providing what is, arguably, a municipal service. If the PD, VAC, and member in question don't have a problem with it, why should we?

I'd also contend that fire calls may take a substantial amount of time and you don't know that from the time of dispatch. "Automatic alarm" calls may take only 15 minutes but what happens when that "alarm" is due to a FIRE? Long time, sometimes hours. Ambulance calls usually take less than an hour (depending on transport times obviously). But that's irrelevant to this discussion.

It really isn't like being down a PO either. If the PO is dispatched to the aided case and has to wait until a mutual aid ambulance arrives, he'll be out of service almost the same amount of time just waiting for an ambulance.

I have to agree with x635 also. This is just another bandaid fix to a major systemic problem in EMS, adequate staffing.

What is the issue here? Like stated if his supervisor/chief, and the town officials dont have an issue with it why dose everyone have an opinion?

Is there any underlying issue here? Do you have any "beef" with said Police Officer? If so, bring it up with the PD, VAC and Town/Village/City Board.

I personally dont have any issue with it as this officer is still serving his community.

As stated, if his superiors have no issue with it, so be it.

As Chris192 stated, if he was assigned to an aided case and had to wait for an m/a ambulance, you could be talking a long OOS time. So, if he rides the call, it helps everyone all around.