Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Temporary Ban On Dutchess County EMS Discussion

29 posts in this topic

Members,

I am putting a temporary ban on ALL discussion relating to EMS in Dutchess County related to commercial providers, and some discussions related to commercial providers. I am removed from the situation, but it seems there is a lot of animosity and drama especially in Dutchess and Putnam for some reasons caused by turf wars, egos, and commercial EMS providers that has nothing to do with this forum, except for the fact people discuss it on here.

These threads serve no purpose, and I'm sick of reading about how horrible each company is, people posting rumors, etc. This forum will not tolerate or play host to those types of threads. The bad outweighs any of the good in these threads.

This whole situation needs some time to cool down and settle itself outside the boundries of this forum before I consider even allowing further discussion.

-Seth

EMTBravo

Before anyone cries "censorship", there's a very good reason for this action. It was brought on by some slanderous and outright criminal comments have been made lately. It is one thing to be opinionated (not that I'd know anything about that :lol: ) but it is completely another to outright bash people and agencies for the sole purpose of inciting animus toward them.

We really need to find an outlet for hostility besides this forum! Perhaps a dart league or something (oh wait, sharp objects that won't work).

Lighten up, everyone!

Seth, you've taken away my number 2 source of entertainment. :lol: At least you've also taken away the desire to make posts that were inappropriate.

It is one thing to be opinionated (not that I'd know anything about that laugh.gif ) . . . . . . . . . We really need to find an outlet for hostility. . . . . . (oh wait, sharp objects that won't work).

Lighten up, everyone!

RATFLMAO!!!!!! blink.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Mark Z

Seth, you keep doin stuff like this and all the fun, joy and entertianment will be gone! What will we do with ourselves man?!?! Have you no pity on us mortal souls?!

delete the slanderous comments and for christ sake lets us talk about something a little controversial. This forum is not what it use to be. Save the money making it fancy and let us converse!

SmokeAndFlames likes this

It's sad this forum has came down to have to censor stuff like that. I understand you own the site Seth, but if you keep censoring peoples posts, people will move elsewhere. We have very good discussions on here, and yes some get controversial, but it needs to be able to be discussed without Administrator intervention...

It's sad this forum has came down to have to censor stuff like that. I understand you own the site Seth, but if you keep censoring peoples posts, people will move elsewhere. We have very good discussions on here, and yes some get controversial, but it needs to be able to be discussed without Administrator intervention...

GOOD! I don't want members here who make direct, criminal threats towards EMS providers. And I also don't like when people make ignorant accusations.....there's a lot more that goes on that meets the eye! We've been tolerant of A LOT of discussion recently, and many members have given us heat for allowing these discussions to take place..we've kept them open and allowed them to be discussed...when I have to close one down because of a serious situation caused by a MEMBER, I get other members like you who cry about "censoring" who have no basis to their claim. I KNEW someone was going to chime in and use this as an oppurtunity to try and slander the staff who works very hard to keep this forum online, settle conflicts between members, complaints about threads, etc. I/we can't win no matter what I do. Ugh!!

GOOD! I don't want members here who make direct, criminal threats towards EMS providers. And I also don't like when people make ignorant accusations.....there's a lot more that goes on that meets the eye! We've been tolerant of A LOT of discussion recently, and many members have given us heat for allowing these discussions to take place..we've kept them open and allowed them to be discussed...when I have to close one down because of a serious situation caused by a MEMBER, I get other members like you who cry about "censoring" who have no basis to their claim. I KNEW someone was going to chime in and use this as an oppurtunity to try and slander the staff who works very hard to keep this forum online, settle conflicts between members, complaints about threads, etc. I/we can't win no matter what I do. Ugh!!

Seth,

Disclaimer: I'm not from Dutchess and I'm not EMS. I've read none of the threads in question. I have however been involved in internet discussions for more years than I care to remember.

Whenever things get heated or nasty, there are basically three options:

1. Let it run and devil take the hindmost.

2. Shut down discussion on the most controversial topics.

3. Shut down the members making the most egregious comments.

Maybe, just maybe, you've reached for option 2. when option 3. would have been more effective?

Otherwise the lesson taught is, getting seriously out of line gets the discussion shut down. Getting the members in question kicked out might be a better lesson.

Mike

SETH,

Thank you for doing this!!!!!!! While many members will cry about it and say they will post elsewhere, those of us who are dedicated members and understand where you are coming from, will stand behind you...............ALSO, members are going crazy about the ban, they have to open their eyes and see that this is a "TEMPORARY BAN", not permanent.

Before anyone cries "censorship", there's a very good reason for this action. It was brought on by some slanderous and outright criminal comments have been made lately. It is one thing to be opinionated (not that I'd know anything about that :lol: ) but it is completely another to outright bash people and agencies for the sole purpose of inciting animus toward them.

We really need to find an outlet for hostility besides this forum! Perhaps a dart league or something (oh wait, sharp objects that won't work).

Lighten up, everyone!

Slander is spoken, libel is written. Many topics on here basically bash people or groups soley for the purpose of inciting animus. While I did not read this topic due to lack of care, why is this topic banned and others permitted??

SmokeAndFlames likes this

Slander is spoken, libel is written. Many topics on here basically bash people or groups soley for the purpose of inciting animus. While I did not read this topic due to lack of care, why is this topic banned and others permitted??

This one happened to have one specific case of a threat made by a member, as well as getting no where constructively in the forum.

This one happened to have one specific case of a threat made by a member, as well as getting no where constructively in the forum.

That was exactly my position.

We're always open to topics that stir debate and passion. Those generate the most interest.

That's how we all learn.

There is a fine line, and that line is sometimes vague, but when crossed, often it becomes difficult to decide if there is any redeeming value to continue. Other times there is no question.

We strive to allow free discussion, as our community can only grow with shared knowledge.

Has the member who made the THREAT been removed from the site????

It's not censorship, it's management of the site. One topic has been specifically identified as problematic and it wasn't because of passionate, intelligent discussion about a controversial topic. It was because the thread had become nothing more than a rant about certain agencies that was 100% counterproductive.

I am one of the staunchest advocates for letting discussions go even when they become controversial or empassioned but this particular thread was no longer controversial, it was over the line.

Consider this a "cooling off" period and we will go back to our regular programming of discussions shortly. B)

As for how members are dealt with in situations like this, that is between the offending member and the administration of the site. We will not discuss such actions publicly. Rest assured that appropriate action is taken in all cases.

Where did the topic about BLS ambulances responding to emergencies go?

I second that motion...

If it was deleted I'd like to know by which moderator...and for what reason.

In fact I dare anyone who read that thread to find one bash or inappropriate comment that was in it and post it.

I'm all for having a positive site but if your gonna have forums about emergency services discussions then either expect some things to come up that aren't going to be liked by everyone or rename them the touchy feely post only good cake eating stories threads.

Either that or let me know this is how its going to be...cause I've invested 3000 posts and several years into this site for this to start happening.

NurseMedic likes this

They shut it down and put a cease and desist on all Dutchess/Putnam EMS discussion....something about criminal and inflammatory comments...not sure what they were referring to but someone made a post about it...

Edited by Goose

Seth shut the topic down after the discussion turned irrelevant, and numerous complaints were made from staff and members alike.

Sorry...but the posts that were in violation should have been removed and that person banned from the site.

Also...sorry you are "tired of" some of the things you stated...but facts are facts and many of us who are tired of the same old BS day in and day out are proving why it is so. Not all of us and I certainly can speak for myself post anything related to work related issues I encounter based on ego, turf wars or company vs company BS as mentioned. I for one don't work for a company...I work for a damn good department I'm proud of and don't have to worry about someone out bidding me...but I find it offensive that the entire forum was taken down.

Whoever posted some sort of threat...you need to have your head examined and grow up. While your at it find another profession to toil in because you are certainly not a colleague of mine. How's that for facts.

NurseMedic likes this

Somebody, please explain to me why I should disregard the rules and purpose of this forum and allow members to openly trash each other and the companies they work for? What would be the constructive part about that? Why should I allow this forum to be used to escalate already existing tensions, spread rumors, and breed hatered between members? There were a lot of aspects as to why these threads were removed.

Also, blame your fellow members for taking the thread downhill, not me. If I had removed the offending posts immediately, portions of the discussion would not have made sense. I am also reacting to the majority of complaints about this thread. I am trying to do my best for all members, and I don't like having to shut down discussions, nor is the decision made lightly.

Sorry for right now, the drama in Dutchess is not going to play out on here any longer until I have time to review the threads and situation and decide on the best course of action so that this can be discussed in a civil, respectful, and constructive way.

And, for the record, blame the Dutchess decision on me, not the rest of the staff here. The staff here does a damn good job moderating these forums. It's not an easy task, and each staff member sacrifices hours of their personal time each day to deal with the stress of running this site for all of you.

I don't condone violence written or real. That said, anyone who posted saying they would induce harm on another for their opinions posted here needs to be booted. Plain and simple and the post deleted. Censorship? Perhaps. But it IS a private board so whatever. I'm not a big fan of censorship in any form but again, whatever. I don't agree with the idea of nuking the entire darned thread. That's all I have to say about that.

Hello? Anyone there? Are my posts invisible? Is anyone reading what I am writing?

What reason would we have to "censor" these threads, and what are you defining as censoring?

A comment was posted, a threat to a company was included in that post, a complaint was made, and the threads removed. All I have to say is::: Seth, Thank You! Your actions were appropriate. Now maybe it's not my place to say this...but if anyone is offended by these topics being removed, then stop reading, stop posting, and just simply ignore the topic.

Everyone, be safe out there, and have a VERY Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 67R93