Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

NRFD Votes To Defer Raises

28 posts in this topic

BROTHERHOOD

Hopefully this will be what's needed and won't only be one more thing they give up as the City continues to slash from essential services.

Neither jobs or raises should have to be voted on by the brothers, these municipalities can find the money, they just choose not to.

Hopefully 2010 is better for all!

Neither jobs or raises should have to be voted on by the brothers, these municipalities can find the money, they just choose not to.

Hopefully 2010 is better for all!

Agreed. However, look at the other municipal union's vote; explain to the three employees being laid off that their union voted to take the money and see you later....sayonara. That sucks. I don't know the inside particulars, but judging by the vote that union was forced to choose between sticking together for the sake of three brothers/sisters or taking their raises. Not a proud day for that local AT ALL.

Compare it to NRFD's membership and what the brothers did for the six guys to keep their jobs. There is no comparison in my book.

Excellent example of Brotherhood!

Just curious,was there any threat to the NRPD during this "crisis"?Congrats to the Brothers from NR for sticking by their own.

Edited by gss131

As far as I know, NOT AT ALL!!

As far as I know, NOT AT ALL!!

I believe the 3 members of the C.S.C.E. that will be layed off work as community service officers (CSO's). They are the civilian employees in the P.D. This means less parking, city code and quality of life tickets will be issused unless the police officers issue them. They also are the police dispatchers, which could now force a police officer off the street to dispatch. Also the NRPD has been effected by the hiring freeze and they also will not have position filled as members take retirement this year. However they were not put into the 'rock and a hard place' position the NRFD was.

All this reduction in services, employees having to chose whether to defer pay increases that will benefit their families, or to do much more with less. Work in a more dangerous job due to the lack of proper staffing (city wide services), all to save the average New Rochelle taxpayer less than $100 in tax increase in 2010. We are still getting a tax increase, add the additional onto the bill and keep the level of service at the 2009 level!!!!!

Doesn't make much sense.Were you able to restore the open spots as well, or is that situation going to remain unchanged.It gets scary whenever open positions match company manning,makes it too easy to cut company out.

Edited by gss131

Doesn't make much sense.Were you able to restore the open spots as well, or is that situation going to remain unchanged.It gets scary whenever open positions match company manning,makes it too easy to cut company out.

No department was able to restore any open positions. The city budget also calls for about 12 addtional postions to be vacated during 2010. This means that in theory if 12 firefighters retire in 2010 and no one in any other city department retires, the NRFD could be down 12 additional postions. Within all of the city departments, there must be 12 employees retire, otherwise there could still be lay offs. Hopefully the retirements will be evenly distributed over all city departments.

Mark my answer was for shall I say "real" officers being laid off but that is true, the PD was not put in our position. I think we will be the first to tap into those 12 positions next yr with 2 FD members. I have not heard of any PD going in 2010 as of yet.

Edited by Firediver

Once again, the New Rochelle guys stood up and showed that this brotherhood thing we talk about is not just talk.

Look back at the last few years and remember what brought you to this point.

Trump and Capelli have your raises in their wallets.

Mark my answer was for shall I say "real" officers being laid off but that is true, the PD was not put in our position. I think we will be the first to tap into those 12 positions next yr with 2 FD members. I have not heard of any PD going in 2010 as of yet.

Understood about the 'real' officers. The P.D. has more low level positions that can be trimmed before they actually get to the street cops. The down side is the street cop has to replace/do the work of those positions getting laid off. I believe I heard Commissioner Carroll state during the budget hearings that they would be losing positions due to retirement in 2010. How many and what positions was not discussed. In any case everyone suffers. Hopefully Albany will streamline all disability retirement applications and get those guys off the payroll. That will help stave off layoffs in 2010. I just hope that conditions improve, even slightly, in 2010.

Great news for NRFD-I am sure that the cuts projected were not voluntarily given to the city by the Fire Chief unlike a neighboring dept that proposed demoting 9 officer positions to butter his own bread! Real fire service leaders don't cut! Especially when it took hard work from previous Chiefs and union leaders to bring the staffing up for the past 25+ years and you are one of the busiest departments in the region! Happy New year to all!

efdcapt115 likes this

Now that NRFD is "giving back" to the city a raise that was negotiated and agreed to by the city, which city is going to use this strategy next? I'm thinking of another city that is closely compared to NR, just got an arbitrated contract, and who's city provided huge tax incentives to big developers.Does anyone know who I'm thinking of?

Now that NRFD is "giving back" to the city a raise that was negotiated and agreed to by the city, which city is going to use this strategy next? I'm thinking of another city that is closely compared to NR, just got an arbitrated contract, and who's city provided huge tax incentives to big developers.Does anyone know who I'm thinking of?

NRFD did not give back their contracted raise for 2010. They have agreed to defer the raise until the member retires. As I understand it, all parts of the contract are in place, just that the members will not see the cash for the 2010 increase in 2010.

Edited by LTNRFD

Maybe a better word in my previous posting should have been a change in contract instead giving back. Its still a change in a negotiated contract and I believe similiar Municipalities will attempt the same tactic to re- negotiate contracts due to their past financial mismanagment.

Maybe a better word in my previous posting should have been a change in contract instead giving back. Its still a change in a negotiated contract and I believe similiar Municipalities will attempt the same tactic to re- negotiate contracts due to their past financial mismanagment.

Point taken. Although it was not a give back, it was a change to the contract. Changes to contracts happen from time to time for the right reasons. i.e. changes to work charts that benefits both management and labor. I hope all other municipalities see this change for it's true meaning and not an open door for the municipalities to take back from labor.

NRFD did not give back their contracted raise for 2010. They have agreed to defer the rasie until the member retires. As I understand it, all parts of the contract are in place, just that the members will not see the cash for the 2010 increase in 2010.

With inflation rising ever so subt'tly, and the members paying increased taxes themselves (yes firefighters live within and pay property taxes to the very city they are employed by) the hit on the individual members themselves will be felt; with less purchasing power all around, in the near term.

However, the demonstration of solidarity with the younger members (who probably gave up other career paths to join the fire service) cannot be overstated in it's significance, it's simple decency, and the proof it provides that the members who are with you in the crawling heat of a fire attack, are also there for you when the flames go out and other problems arise. These six members should never forget what their local did for them.

Come what may with other municipalities. Every other IAFF Local or PBA, might or might not be confronted with a similar situation; the ripple effect of the financial crisis and housing bubble is slowly making it's way through all levels of gov't. How significant it hit's your particular district is dependent on numerous factors; the stability of the tax base, housing values, percentage of default property owners, rise in pension or health care premiums, etc.

I'd be honored to be associated with a Local that stood by ALL it's members (in fact I am, it's 916 in my case); for that is the true test of the union; regardless of the financial implications it has for all members, they are in it together, and share the pain to lessen it for their newest blood.

Edit: decided not to edit.

Edited by efdcapt115

"I'd be honored to be associated with a Local that stood by ALL it's members " judging by the word "ALL",who are you comparing to?

If i understand this correctly--no raise for 2010 for the membershp--it is deferred until the member retires?? So if a member is retiring in 2010 --will he get the raise?? will it be claculated in his retirement??

It is a blod step and for this they should be congratulated but an eye on the politicians, they are a slippery bunch for sure.

If i understand this correctly--no raise for 2010 for the membershp--it is deferred until the member retires?? So if a member is retiring in 2010 --will he get the raise?? will it be claculated in his retirement??

It is a blod step and for this they should be congratulated but an eye on the politicians, they are a slippery bunch for sure.

YFD unions proposed this last year to the city and they declined.In essence you are borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.The deferral would be put off till the member retires with a lump payment (prorated) upon retirement.It would be an unknown obligation to be payed later.

Edited by gss131

"I'd be honored to be associated with a Local that stood by ALL it's members " judging by the word "ALL",who are you comparing to?

No other in particular Lieu, I associated myself with my local in the same sentence. I'm speaking in the hypothetical. If you want an example of another outcome, check the report here of the other municipal union's vote in this case in the link above. I don't have any inside information, other than what has been reported on this site; I'm in Florida, and I'm not rah-rahing having to give ANYTHING back out of a contract. But when faced with hard choices, unions have to make tough decisions. I didn't vote here, have no vested interest in the outcome other than to say I'm proud as an IAFF member to see how another Local faced adversity. And it's just my opinion, nothing more.

This website has a pretty comprehensive breakdown of demographics, trends in housing prices, population statisitcs, pretty much everything. Check it out:

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10801.html

YFD unions proposed this last year to the city and they declined.In essence you borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.The deferral would be put off till the member retires with a lump payment (prorated) upon retirement.It would be an unknown obligation to be payed later.

How would it an unknown ??? If a firefighter would have received a $100 raise in 2010, then when that same firefighter retires in 2015 the city would put into his final paycheck an additional $100. This would benefit the retiree in the long run (a boost to final year average). The firefighter just has to get through the short run.

How would it an unknown ??? If a firefighter would have received a $100 raise in 2010, then when that same firefighter retires in 2015 the city would put into his final paycheck an additional $100. This would benefit the retiree in the long run (a boost to final year average). The firefighter just has to get through the short run.

According to the comptrolers office (pension div.) the $100 is credited in the year it was earned not the year it was paid. That means if it is earned in 2010 and you retire in 2015 you get a $100 check at retirement that does not count towards the final year average. Since the city agreed that the raise is still inplace and we are just defering the payment, the % will go into the base that will be included in final average. Anyone retiring in the next 2 years the cast will be creditied towards final.

According to the comptrolers office (pension div.) the $100 is credited in the year it was earned not the year it was paid. That means if it is earned in 2010 and you retire in 2015 you get a $100 check at retirement that does not count towards the final year average. Since the city agreed that the raise is still inplace and we are just defering the payment, the % will go into the base that will be included in final average. Anyone retiring in the next 2 years the cast will be creditied towards final.

I stand corrected. That was not how it was explained to me when I was going through the process. The fact that it didn't effect me, it was a non-issue for me.