Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

Idea for FDNY Res1cue

18 posts in this topic

Found this while playing on Google today, the site is incredible and has some of the wierdest Fire Fighting vehicles Ive ever seen. I have always wondered what it would look like to have a Tractor Drawn pumper or rescue and this isnt a bad looking truck. Orange, California Rescue Truck

Heres the link to the site - Pa Firefighters Gallery of Extreme equipment

Wouldn't work for a pumper, as the pump is actually powered by the engine, therefore needing a driveshaft between the engine and the pump.

Wouldn't work for a pumper, as the pump is actually powered by the engine, therefore needing a driveshaft between the engine and the pump.

In other industries there are trailers with pumps that take there power with a drive shaft. The operator has to connect the shaft prior to pumping. I don't know if it would would specifically with at fire pump at high rpm's.

In the early 1980's San Bernadino CA (I think) experimented with 3 tractor drawn engines. It obviously never caught on.

In the early 1980's San Bernadino CA (I think) experimented with 3 tractor drawn engines. It obviously never caught on.

post-1020-127279669735.jpg

Found this while playing on Google today, the site is incredible and has some of the wierdest Fire Fighting vehicles Ive ever seen. I have always wondered what it would look like to have a Tractor Drawn pumper or rescue and this isnt a bad looking truck. Orange, California Rescue Truck

Heres the link to the site - Pa Firefighters Gallery of Extreme equipment

I would need an additionsl truck company so I could get stuff off the top shelf

post-1020-127279669735.jpg

The rigs I was refering to were white and were triple combination units, with Ford tractors

I meant to quote this with the photo of the Super Pumper, not Captain Nechis. Sorry for the mix-up. :)

No, not as a pumper, but there are some tractor drawn quints out in CA currently. I forget whose I've seen, but I think LA County might be one of them.

No, not as a pumper, but there are some tractor drawn quints out in CA currently. I forget whose I've seen, but I think LA County might be one of them.

The units I saw in 1981 or 1982 were engines. The tractors were Ford commercial cabs with 3 man seating on a bench seat. The tank was above the 5th wheel, the pump was rear mounted right above the back step and the pump was a direct drive diesel. The hose bed was directly above the pump panel. Part of the concept was that the pump is rarely used and the tractor can be seperatly replaced. Also with a fleet of them a spare tractor can be kept at the shop and swapped with one needing repair.

It was also more manuverable than a standard engine of the day. I'm sure it was harder to train drivers. I do not know what the reasons they dropped the program.

Way too big, it would never fit in the firehouse. It's a pretty tight fit with the present rig.

ALF did two "Quint" TDA's I think they are in CA I have pics and would have to find them. Tandemn tractors with 2000gpm pumps I will look for photo's

There are a good number of TDA Quints in Southern California. Seth has a bunch of pics I believe on his X635 photos site. JBE may have a bunch too from one of his trips. Here are a few from emergencyrigs.net - Credit to the original photographers.

post-163-127290409185.jpg

post-163-127290410502.jpg

post-163-127290411578.jpg

Yikes....a tiller AND a quint...

...seems like someone set out to win the most over complicated apparatus award. At some point, IMHO, we're trying to do too much with one vehicle. We're getting so complex that we get to a point where we have something that does everything, but nothing well. It carries tons of equipment, but it's too big to manage, ect. ect. There are other examples for sure. Tillers are lousy for the volunteer service, as it's difficult enough to get drivers. Now we need two? Not a good plan. Tractor trailers are too big for most urban environments. They're just too ungainly to navigate during emergency response. A tractor trailer unit might make sense for a special unit designed for limited responses or prolonged operations, but thats it. An example of another approach would be Hazmat 1 in NYC. They simply use two rigs for a response.

Lastly, Quints suck. They are little more than a band-aide that allows politicians to give us fewer pieces of equipment and short change us on manpower. They fall into the over-complicated catagory. Is it an engine? Is it a truck? From the firefighters perspective, what is your job a particular fire? From a management perspective, "who's doing what?" When you have engines and trucks coming in, the chief knows what is happening because everyone's positions are clearly defined. Most bread and butter jobs are well underway before the chief even arrives.

Okay....rant over.

x129K and antiquefirelt like this

Yikes....a tiller AND a quint...

...seems like someone set out to win the most over complicated apparatus award. At some point, IMHO, we're trying to do too much with one vehicle. We're getting so complex that we get to a point where we have something that does everything, but nothing well. It carries tons of equipment, but it's too big to manage, ect. ect. There are other examples for sure. Tillers are lousy for the volunteer service, as it's difficult enough to get drivers. Now we need two? Not a good plan. Tractor trailers are too big for most urban environments. They're just too ungainly to navigate during emergency response. A tractor trailer unit might make sense for a special unit designed for limited responses or prolonged operations, but thats it. An example of another approach would be Hazmat 1 in NYC. They simply use two rigs for a response.

Lastly, Quints suck. They are little more than a band-aide that allows politicians to give us fewer pieces of equipment and short change us on manpower. They fall into the over-complicated catagory. Is it an engine? Is it a truck? From the firefighters perspective, what is your job a particular fire? From a management perspective, "who's doing what?" When you have engines and trucks coming in, the chief knows what is happening because everyone's positions are clearly defined. Most bread and butter jobs are well underway before the chief even arrives.

Okay....rant over.

I sure agree with you there "M". Really not a good idea if you ask me.

I am pretty sure that Empire H & L TDA quint has a larger pump that 250 gpm. I know that was the pump size on there old Seavrave TDA. I could be wrong thought.