Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

The Shoutbox Is Back! (Incident Alert Live)

37 posts in this topic

Members,

You've probaly noticed the "Incident Alert Live" box at the top of the forum index.

We're experimenting with this feature. It is still in beta stage.

It is to be used for putting out incidents in real time, even minor incidents. For example, someone can post in the box "Ardsley responding to a car fire on the New York State Thruway" or to inquire about incidents, such as "What does Somers have?".

Please also note this DOES NOT replace the Incident Alerts!

Please let me know how you like this feature. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

(NOTE:If you don't like it, click on "My Prefs" on the box and you can choose not to display it)

-Seth G.

Director Of Development, EMTBravo

firedude likes this

Great Idea for those of us who leave EMTbravo on the screen a lot

Just added a new feature...when an Incident Alert is posted, it will add a notification of a new IA posted with a link to the IA in the box.

I liked it - obvious abuses aside.

There were mixed feelings about it and abuses notwithstanding, the number and quality of IA's suffered because people just dumped info into the shoutbox instead of starting an IA.

We'll see what happens, you know nothing is forever (except taxes)! B)

I'd like to hear what the membership has to say about the shoutbox.....post away!

All in favor of bringin' it back, say AYE

I liked it, I thought it was a nice addition.

They ALL come out of hiding for this Seth! :lol:

Aye... What kind of abuses were there?

x129K likes this

I think there should be a test before someone is permitted to post in the Shoutbox.

Quite a few people were reminded MANY times the PROPER uses for the Shoutbox, yet filled it up with updates for the same incident instead of starting an IA, filled it up with nonsense posts/"incidents" etc...

Needs to be a screening tool, such as a "test" so that people can prove they know the proper uses before they use it. Oh, and specific members should have privileges revoked for abuses...

I think there should be a test before someone is permitted to post in the Shoutbox.

Quite a few people were reminded MANY times the PROPER uses for the Shoutbox, yet filled it up with updates for the same incident instead of starting an IA, filled it up with nonsense posts/"incidents" etc...

Needs to be a screening tool, such as a "test" so that people can prove they know the proper uses before they use it. Oh, and specific members should have privileges revoked for abuses...

I dont know about a test, but you MODS should be to unleash the fury of your keyboards to the select offenders...warn once, then drop the hammer...it's been a long time since s good public banning! :D

Aye... What kind of abuses were there?

BS posts...BS jobs...and hot jobs that would get an actual IA...dudes being lazy..

AYE. I like it a lot. Thought is was a nice addition to the sit.

I dont know about a test, but you MODS should be to unleash the fury of your keyboards to the select offenders...warn once, then drop the hammer...it's been a long time since s good public banning! :D

Dan,

The issue we run into is this:

If we go nuts with moderating and "banning", we get people crying "censorship".

If we back off, we get people crying about not enough moderating, and allowing bashing and free-for-alls.

And if we single any one person out over an issue, we are "picking on them", instead of making a general statement.

Seems we cannot win...

Dan,

The issue we run into is this:

If we go nuts with moderating and "banning", we get people crying "censorship".

If we back off, we get people crying about not enough moderating, and allowing bashing and free-for-alls.

And if we single any one person out over an issue, we are "picking on them", instead of making a general statement.

Seems we cannot win...

Thats the problem with this world....instead of dealing with the trouble makers, the whole class has to put their heads down on the desk....

QTIP

I liked the shoutbox, I do agree that it was abused. However I think it should be brought back and there should be a thread on how to post in the shoutbox, and if a person post's something not shout box worthy they get a warning and a link to the thread on how to use it, and if the person persists they should be banned from using the shoutbox for a certain amount of time and be told why they were banned.

If you do bring it back, how about an option to not ahve it show up. i know that I can minimize it each time I visit the page. I am talking abotu a setting, so one never sees it. I find that it slows down the page way too much. And I never read anything in it anyway.

One thing I did like the shout box for was the "Hey, what is going on in (insert town name)??" freed up a lot of the misc. posts for that and worked good for some one to listen in and start an IA up.

I'm listening.....

Is it collapsable for members who wish to NOT see it?

I think the collapsable idea is a good one. I like the shout box because it allows people to chat real time while listening to incidents in real time. The abuse is annoying but might very well be worth it.

I think the collapsable idea is a good one. I like the shout box because it allows people to chat real time while listening to incidents in real time. The abuse is annoying but might very well be worth it.

Yes, the collapsible idea is not a bad one...

But that doesn't solve the frequent abusers who cannot follow the SIMPLE rules of it, and spam it, and ruin it for the guys who DO like to keep tabs on it...

Due to popular demand, it's back!

It is to be used for putting out incidents in real time, even minor incidents. For example, someone can post in the box "Ardsley responding to a car fire on the New York State Thruway" or to inquire about incidents, such as "What does Somers have?".

Please also note this DOES NOT replace the Incident Alerts!

Please let me know how you like this feature. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

(NOTE:If you don't like it, click on "My Prefs" on the box and you can choose not to display it)

-Seth G.

Director Of Development, EMTBravo