Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers FD Station 11 Closing?

19 posts in this topic

I just saw a banner hanging outside of Yonkers Fire Station 11 (Where Squad 11 and the Collapse Rig are housed) indicating something like "Save our Firestation from closing, contact the Mayor". I know of several residents in the area (this is area of Yonkers that I am originally from) that have also heard that this station is earmarked for closing. Now I remember reading that the Mayor and City Council were talking about drastic cuts in both

Police and Fire, but that no specific Fire Companies and/or stations have been selected. Has Station 11 been pinpointed as one that would be closed if these cuts were to do through? YFD just accepted delivery of their New Squad 11 and this unit is critical for Emergency Rescue Service and Engine PPumper supression on the east side of Yonkers. I can't imagine that Station 11 and Squad 11 would be cut. Last year they were talking about elliminating Ladder 70 and mover TL 75 from Station 12 to Station 14. Are they now thinking about ellminating Ladder 70, closing Station 11 and moving Squad 11 to Station 14? Is the City nuts for even considering this? Does anyone with YFD know anything about this and could post something on here for us to be brought up to date?

That would really be terrible if the cuts caused an entire station to close. And beyond the obvious perils to jobs and public safety of closing any station, it's too bad that it may be 11 because architectually, that one is very impressive. I've always liked that Yonkers has lots of very differently designed stations, and 11 is one of the coolest. 8 wouldn't be as much of a loss! :P

I did. I made sure it was clear I was talking about architecture. Is that not clear?

That would be a big blow to fire protection in Yonkers if this happens!!! Hopefully the city will come to it's senses and reconsider!!!

The potential loss of jobs and the potential closure of station(s) is a highly emotional subject and one that should be discussed with sensitivity and concern. Off-topic remarks in which members "flamed" each other for their opinions were removed from this thread. If you have personal issues with someone they should addressed via PM or e-mail NOT in a public thread.

If you have issues with this, address your concerns to a moderator or administrator for a solution. Posting such things in a thread is not the appropriate venue to have your concerns addressed and these too have been removed.

This thread is to discuss the station closing concerns/issue in the City of Yonkers. Feel free to discuss this as you wish.

batt2 likes this

That would really be terrible if the cuts caused an entire station to close. And beyond the obvious perils to jobs and public safety of closing any station, it's too bad that it may be 11 because architectually, that one is very impressive. I've always liked that Yonkers has lots of very differently designed stations, and 11 is one of the coolest. 8 wouldn't be as much of a loss! :P

I'm picking this thread up, I don't know what was removed according to Chris, but I'd like to pipe in here. If there is "chatter" of a firehouse closing (I haven't heard about anything like that in Yonkers myself, except here in this thread) then let's please not be offering up thoughts like this one. To reduce the idea of a fire station closing to the simple idea of one being architecturally superior in your opinion, is quite insensitive to the idea that there might be firefighters, human beings and good ones at that imo, whose jobs could be jeapordized as a result.

I've followed your postings in the Stamford thread, you seem to have lined up with this FPCoggs fella, so you might be expressing your talking points that you believe in regarding the Stamford situation, but try not to let it bleed over into Westchester County.

Everybody is facing challenging financial situations right now. Municipalities are doing things, they are making cuts, they have laid people off; the fire service and the police departments are always first on the target list when the times get tough. It received little attention here when a post showed the tax collection revenue breakdown for Westchester County. The school budgets are incredible. Well over 50 percent of every tax dollar collected in Westchester goes to schools. 2 percent goes to fire districts. Cities break down from their own budgets. The percentages are different, but the attacks are always the same.

The gains that professional firefighters and cops have made over the decades are impressive. We and the generations before us, fought and went to courts and built our jobs into respectable careers. Naturally, when the economy goes down, and it always eventually goes down, just like it always eventually goes up, the "civil servant" comes into the headlights when things go down, and governments run their budgets down. The politicians, and their supporting casts of political appointees protect themselves by pointing a finger at cops and firemen who they just sat across a table from and negotiated a contract a few years ago. Everything was rosy for the economy, the plans were large, etc. And then the pile on begins. People are outraged by their tax bills on their homes in Westchester. Fair enough, but come up with smart solutions. Emergency services should be DEAD LAST on the target list for politicians. But, people forget. Their memories are short. They forget about 9/11, they forget about the homegrown terrorists who are spreading all over the country planning to do harm on our citizens again.

But, complacency on the part of the general public eventually leads them to point the finger at the firehouse. The disgruntled guy down the street who got screwed out of his job by the greedy corporation he worked for, who sent his job overseas to Bangladesh, he's usually the first guy complaining about the cops and firemen. Then there's the envious, the ones who couldn't make it, couldn't score well enough, whatever. You can count on a percentage of those guys to be loudmouth whiners about civil servants, complaining about taxes, etc. Then there's the "monnied" amongst us. Suprising how the richest, the elite, wind up holding most of the political seats. Nah, I'm not saying they "buy" their positions of power.

It's funny though how so many times, a firefighter local ends up sitting down across the bargaining table from the well heeled crowd. The "elected." Laughing out loud.

Okay, so that's my soap-box entry, good luck YFD, keep safe out there.

batt2, mlcougar2001 and JAD622 like this

News 12 reported last night that the city is considering the closing of Squad 11.

It appears that all YFD stations have that sign out front.

News 12 reported last night that the city is considering the closing of Squad 11.

The company or the building in which the company exists?

I know that this is a very sensitive subject with many here on Emtbravo.net. With Yonkers FD just accepting a New Squad 11 and how vital this piece of apparatus is to the East Side of Yonkers (Basically representing the Rescue Services of YFD for the East-Side as well as Pumper Supression), it just doesn't make much sense. I certainly hope that we do not see 1976 revisited (That year YFD Engine 1, Engine 2, Truck 3 and Rescue 1 were all disbanded, with Truck 3 (at Station 11 at the time) replacing Truck 6 at Station 13 (Truck 6 permanently taken out of service), and Engine 1 and Engine 2 never to come back. (Rescue 1 was not in service from 1976 until 2000 when it was recommissioned). Let's all pray that we don't see that again.

I've followed your postings in the Stamford thread, you seem to have lined up with this FPCoggs fella, so you might be expressing your talking points that you believe in regarding the Stamford situation, but try not to let it bleed over into Westchester County.

Funny because the first thing I thought when I saw the (now deleted) posts in this thread was, well I'm on the S-list on this board, and everyone will associate me with the Stamford thread and jump on every post from now on.

My personality leads me to use humor to diffuse a tough situation. Obviously this is a terrible situation and I publicly apologise for a joke at an inopportune time that offended some people. I always support what I believe in, and if there is ever a petition to sign or donation drive with regards to Yonkers, I'll be there.

If my memory serves me correctly, I recall back in the 1980's that Engine 11 was disbanded, and that Ladder 14 (current ladder 70) was moved to station 11.

Support Yonkers and all IAFF Locals in their fight to save jobs!!!!!!!!!!

These are very serious and sad times in America. I think that monies have dried up and politians are now saying no to almost everything. Budget cuts, I fear, will be come fast and quickly and will affect many americans. I have a feeling that in relationship to this topic, we might be seing 1976 all over again, with companies being cut and manpower being laid off.

If my memory serves me correctly, I recall back in the 1980's that Engine 11 was disbanded, and that Ladder 14 (current ladder 70) was moved to station 11.

Steve - To my memory, I believe that you are correct. Back in 1971, the Yonkers Fire Department had 13 engine companies, 7 truck companies, and 1 rescue company (The Largest In Service Fleet of Apparatus in the History of YFD).

The Station/Apparatus Assignments back then were as follows:

Station 1 (Headquarters - New School Street) - Engine 1, Truck 1, Rescue 1

Station 2 (Vineyard Avenue) - Engine 2, Truck 2

Station 3 (Vark Street) - Engine 3

Station 4 (Radford Street) - Engine 4, Truck 4

Station 6 (Oak Street) - Engine 6

Station 7 (Central Avenue) - Engine 7 (and the Repair Shop)

Station 8 (Walburton Avenue) - Engine 8

Station 9 (Shonnard Avenue) - Engine 9

Station 10 (Saw Mill River Road) - Engine 10

Station 11 (Bronxville Road) - Engine 11, Truck 3

Station 12 (Fortfield Avenue) - Engine 12, Truck 5

Station 13 (Kimball Avenue) - Engine 13, Truck 6

Station 14 (Central Park Avenue) - Engine 14, Truck 7

In 1975, YFD renumbered the Truck (now Ladder) companies to conincide with the respective Engine Companies to which they were housed with. Thus Trucks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 became Trucks 1, 9, 11, 4, 12, 13, 14. Due to a fiscal crisis, on January 1, 1976, Engine Co. 1, Rescue Co. 1 and Truck Co. 11 (Formaly Truck 3) were removed from service. (This was the FIRST of 2 Major Budget Cuts made to the YFD, with the 2nd coming in 1982)

On March 10, 1978, the apparatus numbering was changed "to conform with the numbering system of the County". In order to eliminate confusion during mutual aid, all apparatus in Westchester County were given different numbers. Yonkers' Engines received numbers in the 300's and its truck companies (now called ladders) received numbers in the 70's. In 1979, Engine Company 305 and Truck 7 6 were commissioned and placed into service. So in 1979, this is the level of apparatus that was in place within YFD (along with redesignated crossover):

Old Designation New Designation

Engine Co. 2 Engine Co. 302 (Station 2 - Vineyard Ave - then to Station 9 in 1980)

Engine Co. 3 Engine Co. 303 (Station 3 - Vark Street)

Engine Co. 4 Engine Co. 304 (Station 4 - Radford Street)

Engine Co. 6 Engine Co. 306 (Station 6 - Oak Street)

Engine Co. 305 (Station 2 - Vineyard Avenue then to Station 1 in 1980)

Engine Co. 7 Engine Co. 307 (Station 7 - Central Avenue)

Engine Co. 8 Engine Co. 308 (Station 8 - Walburton Avenue)

Engine Co. 9 Engine Co. 309 (Station 9 - Shonnard Avenue)

Engine Co. 10 Engine Co. 310 (Station 10 - Saw Mill River Road)

Engine Co. 11 Engine Co. 311 (Station 11 - Bronxville Road)

Engine Co. 12 Engine Co. 312 (Station 12 - Fortfield Avenue)

Engine Co. 13 Engine Co. 313 (Station 13 - Kimball Avenue)

Engine Co. 14 Engine Co. 314 (Station 14 - Central Park Avenue)

Truck Co. 14 Ladder Co. 70 (Station 14 - Central Park Avenue)

Truck Co. 1 Ladder Co. 71 (Station 1 - New School Street)

Truck Co. 9 Ladder Co. 72 (Station 9 - Shonnard Place)

Truck Co. 13 Ladder Co. 73 (Station 13 - Kimball Avenue)

Truck Co. 4 Ladder Co. 74 (Station 4 - Radford Street)

Truck Co. 12 Ladder Co. 75 (Station 12 - Fortfield Avenue)

Ladder Co. 76 (Station 11 - Bronxville Road)

So, at this time, YFD had 13 Engine Companies and 7 Ladder Companies in full time service.

Then in 1982, due to the fiscal crisis in 1982, Engines 302, 305, 311 and Ladder 76 were disbanded, with Ladder 70 being moved from Station 14 to Station 11. In June 1983, Engine 302 and 311 were reactivated, however one month latter they were disbanded once again. 1984 saw the reactivation of Engine Company 311 with Ladder 70 being moved back to Station 14.

In 1992, Squad 1 (Haz Mat Unit) was activated and quarted at Station 1 and in 2000, Squad 1 was changed over to Rescue 1 when the Rescue Company was reactivated, after being ellminated back in 1976.

There was a ladder in station 7 in the mid 70's I dont recall its designation. It was an Alf, possibly the one they recently restored. I rode on it as a kid many times with a family friend.... no names of course!

Sorry, but there was no Ladder Company (aka Truck) at Station 7 in the 1970's. Truck 5 (Ladder 75) was housed at Station 7 back in the 1960's but was moved to Station 12 in the 60's. What it "might" have been would be a Truck/Ladder Company in for repairs as Station 7, which back then was home for the Repair Shop until it was moved to the current DPW Repair Shop along side the Saw Mill River Parkway. Also, it was NOT the current Vintage ALF that YFD had recently restored (that was a restored USAF ALF Mid-Mount). Although YFD has designated this Vintage Restored Ladder as "Truck 5" (in Memory of the Original Truck 5) it is not the same rig.

There was a ladder in station 7 in the mid 70's I dont recall its designation. It was an Alf, possibly the one they recently restored. I rode on it as a kid many times with a family friend.... no names of course!

Edited by 61MACKBR1

Looking back at the long storied history of Station 11, having grown up just down the street from it, it will be hard to imagine that great station might be closing. From those days back in the 1950's/1960's when that "War Horse" Ward LaFance proudly wore the Circle 11 on its front along side the Great 1950's ALF Mid-Mount Truck 3, with its Gold Leaf YFD 3 on its doors. The time when the Viet Nam war ended and both rigs came out of thier respective bays and blew the siren in celebration. Then the sad ellimination of Truck 3 (then Truck 11). Then the happiness to see Ladder 76 being brought into service to see it sadly go away as fast as it came. To those days when both A A Ambulance or Empress housed their East Side Ambulance there. To the evolution of Engine 11 into Engine 311 (The Old Mack C Engine 1 running as Engine 311, to the Lime Green Compac Continential, to the various Mack CF's, and then Engine 311 turning into Squad 311 then Squad 11, now with the Collapse Unit. The Citizens of the Armour Villa, Birch Brook, Iraquis Road, Mountainvile Road, Lawrence Park West Communities will certainly suffer without a front line rig running out of that station, especially as it relates to the First Responder Program. Call up the Mayor and City Council and voice your complaints. Don't let this happen

Edited by 61MACKBR1
efdcapt115 and batt2 like this

Steve - To my memory, I believe that you are correct. Back in 1971, the Yonkers Fire Department had 13 engine companies, 7 truck companies, and 1 rescue company (The Largest In Service Fleet of Apparatus in the History of YFD).

The Station/Apparatus Assignments back then were as follows:

Station 1 (Headquarters - New School Street) - Engine 1, Truck 1, Rescue 1

Station 2 (Vineyard Avenue) - Engine 2, Truck 2

Station 3 (Vark Street) - Engine 3

Station 4 (Radford Street) - Engine 4, Truck 4

Station 6 (Oak Street) - Engine 6

Station 7 (Central Avenue) - Engine 7 (and the Repair Shop)

Station 8 (Walburton Avenue) - Engine 8

Station 9 (Shonnard Avenue) - Engine 9

Station 10 (Saw Mill River Road) - Engine 10

Station 11 (Bronxville Road) - Engine 11, Truck 3

Station 12 (Fortfield Avenue) - Engine 12, Truck 5

Station 13 (Kimball Avenue) - Engine 13, Truck 6

Station 14 (Central Park Avenue) - Engine 14, Truck 7

In 1975, YFD renumbered the Truck (now Ladder) companies to conincide with the respective Engine Companies to which they were housed with. Thus Trucks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 became Trucks 1, 9, 11, 4, 12, 13, 14. Due to a fiscal crisis, on January 1, 1976, Engine Co. 1, Rescue Co. 1 and Truck Co. 11 (Formaly Truck 3) were removed from service. (This was the FIRST of 2 Major Budget Cuts made to the YFD, with the 2nd coming in 1982)

On March 10, 1978, the apparatus numbering was changed "to conform with the numbering system of the County". In order to eliminate confusion during mutual aid, all apparatus in Westchester County were given different numbers. Yonkers' Engines received numbers in the 300's and its truck companies (now called ladders) received numbers in the 70's. In 1979, Engine Company 305 and Truck 7 6 were commissioned and placed into service. So in 1979, this is the level of apparatus that was in place within YFD (along with redesignated crossover):

Old Designation New Designation

Engine Co. 2 Engine Co. 302 (Station 2 - Vineyard Ave - then to Station 9 in 1980)

Engine Co. 3 Engine Co. 303 (Station 3 - Vark Street)

Engine Co. 4 Engine Co. 304 (Station 4 - Radford Street)

Engine Co. 6 Engine Co. 306 (Station 6 - Oak Street)

Engine Co. 305 (Station 2 - Vineyard Avenue then to Station 1 in 1980)

Engine Co. 7 Engine Co. 307 (Station 7 - Central Avenue)

Engine Co. 8 Engine Co. 308 (Station 8 - Walburton Avenue)

Engine Co. 9 Engine Co. 309 (Station 9 - Shonnard Avenue)

Engine Co. 10 Engine Co. 310 (Station 10 - Saw Mill River Road)

Engine Co. 11 Engine Co. 311 (Station 11 - Bronxville Road)

Engine Co. 12 Engine Co. 312 (Station 12 - Fortfield Avenue)

Engine Co. 13 Engine Co. 313 (Station 13 - Kimball Avenue)

Engine Co. 14 Engine Co. 314 (Station 14 - Central Park Avenue)

Truck Co. 14 Ladder Co. 70 (Station 14 - Central Park Avenue)

Truck Co. 1 Ladder Co. 71 (Station 1 - New School Street)

Truck Co. 9 Ladder Co. 72 (Station 9 - Shonnard Place)

Truck Co. 13 Ladder Co. 73 (Station 13 - Kimball Avenue)

Truck Co. 4 Ladder Co. 74 (Station 4 - Radford Street)

Truck Co. 12 Ladder Co. 75 (Station 12 - Fortfield Avenue)

Ladder Co. 76 (Station 11 - Bronxville Road)

So, at this time, YFD had 13 Engine Companies and 7 Ladder Companies in full time service.

Then in 1982, due to the fiscal crisis in 1982, Engines 302, 305, 311 and Ladder 76 were disbanded, with Ladder 70 being moved from Station 14 to Station 11. In June 1983, Engine 302 and 311 were reactivated, however one month latter they were disbanded once again. 1984 saw the reactivation of Engine Company 311 with Ladder 70 being moved back to Station 14.

In 1992, Squad 1 (Haz Mat Unit) was activated and quarted at Station 1 and in 2000, Squad 1 was changed over to Rescue 1 when the Rescue Company was reactivated, after being ellminated back in 1976.

Interesting bit of YFD history there. Once again, it would be a horrible decision if the city decided to close Squad 11!!! I hope the city gets enough protesting complaints to change their minds!!!