Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Any Dept.s with Fire Police only members?

11 posts in this topic

Question to the Volunteer dept.s out there...does any Dept. accept members as Fire Police status only? Can they join as a Class B for fire police duties only?

I think most dept.s with a Fire Police unit, the unit is a squad and members are part of the other firefighting companies and were at one time class A status f/f's.

Anyone allow members for just Fire Police???

Thanks, and be safe all.

What does Class A and Class B refer to??

Sorry...Class A is scba qualified interior f/f...Class B is exterior only status, probably only Volunteer depts would know this. I guess in a career dept it would be light duty members, doing support only work.

Beekman Fire does. Some were past Interiors or Exteriors and then we have some who retired, joined BFD and just wanted to give back to their community and help out.

We have Fire Police only members.

Did the Fire Police members enter the dept as Fire Police only? Or were they at one time Interior, then retired to the rank of Fire Police.

I am getting some interest from people in the community that are not able to be interior f/f's, but as Beekman stated want to help out the community in some way, and have an interest in the fd. We have never done tis before, you had to have been an interior f/f prior to joining the fire police squad.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

We've had two fire police only members that were never firefighters, just wanted to do what they could to help out. Their kind of a strange fit, as they don't seem to fit the same typical firefighter mold around the firehouse, but they have consistently been proven to be valuable members on numerous occasions.

Did the Fire Police members enter the dept as Fire Police only? Or were they at one time Interior, then retired to the rank of Fire Police.

I am getting some interest from people in the community that are not able to be interior f/f's, but as Beekman stated want to help out the community in some way, and have an interest in the fd. We have never done tis before, you had to have been an interior f/f prior to joining the fire police squad.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Ossining Fire Police is considered a separate company and members can join there directly.

I know of at least one other departments where typically the Fire Police are ex interior FF's but they do have some that joined the department just to become Fire Police.

I don't see any issue with you opening up the department to allow members to join directly as Fire Police.

Chelsea has started allowing members to join as fire police only. They have to complete scene support and fire police classes within the 1st year, We try to

keep this to the older members of the community who just want to help out. Younger members are still encouraged to become f/f's

The Ossining Fire Department has 9 companies and one of them is Ossining Fire Police and Emergency Squad. It is a Fire Police Company. It's members are elected to membership by the company members and then their name is fowarded to the Village Board of Trustee to be be put on the rolls of the Ossining Fire Department. They are required by law to take a different oath of office because they are granted limited peace officer powers when activated. You can reach them at 914-941-9897 Their President is Heather Evens.

We have about 2/3rds of our members who joined as fire police/support/exterior/etc. members. The other 8 or so of us have FF1 minimum to go into a building for salvage during fires. At times we are used by law enforcement agencies to assist with traffic, lighting, etc.