Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x152

Bridgeport FD - LODD

85 posts in this topic

Media outlets in Connecticut are reporting that at least 1 Bridgeport FF has died and another is in critical condition as a result of a late afternoon fire on Elmwood Avenue in Bridgeport. More info to follow.

Thoughts and prayers are with the fallen and the Bridgeport FD.

Edited by x152

Thoughts and prayers. I hope the media is wrong about the LODD.

Many reports now confirming 2 Fire Fighters dead in Bridgeport as a result of fire this afternoon.

Many reports now confirming 2 Fire Fighters dead in Bridgeport as a result of fire this afternoon.

Two Bridgeport firefighters killed in the line of duty this afternoon, reports mayor's secretary Elaine Ficcara RT @WFSBnews

Prayers for our Bridgeport brothers and sisters.

Edited by batt2

If I am not mistaking this incident is not far from the Wood Ave fire station.

Please keep them in your prayers. I know many firefighters in BPT. I will let you know more when I get any information.

Sad day........... :(

Sad day R.I.P. brothers. Our truck comm spent the day there[Woods Sta.] and they treated us like gold.

Edited by PCFD ENG58

2 Bridgeport firefighters die in line of duty

Updated: Saturday, 24 Jul 2010, 7:23 PM EDT

Published : Saturday, 24 Jul 2010, 6:13 PM EDT

Bridgeport, Conn. (WTNH) - Two firefighters have died in the line of duty this afternoon, Mayor Bill Finch's spokesperson Elaine Ficarra tells News 8.

At least two other firefighters were taken to an area hospitial.

A fire broke out at a multi-family house at 41 Elmwood around 4 p.m. today.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/fairfield_cty/firefighter-dies-in-bridgeport

elmwood_fire_pic_2_20100724184411_320_240.JPG

House fire on Elmwood in Bridgeport (Photo courtesy: John Early)

Video with evacuation tones sounding:

http://doingitlocal.com/ray/modules/movie/files/290.mpg

Edited by RocklandFires

Rest in peace Brothers. Condolences to family and Brother / Sister Firefighters.

RIP Brothers!!! Stay Strong Fellow Brothers and Sisters!!!

Thomas

WTNH.COM (Channel 8) is reporting that a firefighter and an officer made the supreme sacrifice.

WTNH.COM (Channel 8) is reporting that a firefighter and an officer made the supreme sacrifice.

I'm like....stunned. We were here just chatting up the great stop in Pelham, and now to hear about this tragedy is, shocking.

This can't be happening again?

Rest in Peace....my God.

R.I.P. Brothers, and peace to their families.

RIP thoughts and prayers to their families and the Bridgeport Fire department

On behalf of Local 628 , Yonkers Firefighters, I would like to express my condolences to the Bridgeport Fire Dept

for their tragic loss of two firefighters.

May God be with all of you and the families of these two brave firefighters.

José A. Caraballo

President

Local 628

IAFF-AFLCIO

batt2 likes this

Sincerest condolences to the families, friends and the BFD

May they truly rest in peace

My thoughts and prayers are with these two heroic firefighters, their families, and the Bridgeport Fire Department. May God be with them and may they Rest in Peace.

RIP to the two BFD firefighters who made the ultimate sacrifice, you will not be forgotten.

BRIDGEPORT -- What several firefighters described as an ordinary house fire at 41 Elmwood Ave. Saturday afternoon left two firefighters dead.

Lt. Steven Velazquez and Firefighter Michel Baik were found unconscious on the top floor of the house, after they sent out May Day calls. They were found by the department's rapid intervention team, and were given CPR at the scene. However, Mayor Bill Finch said, they were unable to revive the men and they were pronounced dead at the hospital.

At a press conference Saturday night, a somber and distraught Finch talked about the two, both family men with young children. Velazquez was Finch's neighbor, and the mayor recalled pinning his badge on him when he was promoted to lieutenant in February. Baik, he said, was a rookie with two years on the job.

Fire officials were too upset to attend the press conference, Finch said, adding Chief Brian Rooney, who was out of state when the fire hit, sped back to Bridgeport to be with his men. "They're just too emotional to talk about it," Finch said.

The last time the department lost a member was in 1999, when Walter Flyntz died in a fire on Fairfield Avenue.

The initial report of the fire at the multi-family wood structure was called in to officials at 3:53 p.m.

Deputy Fire Chief Robert Petrucelli said he arrived on the scene 15 minutes into the fire and found heavy smoke coming from the second and third floors.

"Firefighters were making progress on the fire," Finch said, "knocking down the flames."

He said Velazquez and Baik were the furthest inside the house, doing search and rescue and ventilating the house.

There's no immediate word on what caused the fire and Finch said the State Fire Marshal's office will be investigating not only the cause of the blaze, but are also looking at the equipment used by the deceased firefighters..

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Bridgeport-blaze-leads-to-2-firefighter-deaths-589614.php

No Greater Love Hath Man,

Than He Lay Down His Life,

For His Brother.

Not for millions....

Not for glory....

Not for fame....

For One Person,

in the dark,

where no one will ever know,

or see.

post-1020-037403800 1280024976.jpg

RIP Brothers

Rest in Peace Brothers...may God watch over your families, friends and fellow Firefighters during this tragic time...