Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x152

Bridgeport FD - LODD

85 posts in this topic

LT Steven Velasquez, FF Michel Baik, may you both rest in peace.

Can't believe this happened so close to home. May you both rest in peace and may the world be thankful for your contributions and sacrifice.

I don't know if this has been posted, but Bridgeport Local 834 has established a fund for the fallen brothers at

Bridgeport Fire Department Employees Federal Credit Union

3115 Madison Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06606.

Attn: Bridgeport Fallen Firefighters Fund.

Credit union phone #203-374-8120.

Edited by Alpinerunner

r i p my brothers of bridgeport my condulances go out to both of there families and the bridgeport fie department my they watch over you guys when you go out.

For those attending the mass funeral for the fallen brothers in Bridgeport, you might want to consider Metro North, since the station is located across the street from Harbor Park.

CRK830 - Captain, thank you for posting the information.

Also, I am still hearing there is going to be a public memorial at Harbor Yard Friday afternoon after the private funerals for both men. Information will be posted as it becomes available.

The correct funeral info is at www.iaff.org, click on the upper left corner.

CRK830 - Captain, thank you for posting the information.

Also, I am still hearing there is going to be a public memorial at Harbor Yard Friday afternoon after the private funerals for both men. Information will be posted as it becomes available.

I do believe as you will see below that the funerals are not private any more. As I get more "official" information I will try and pass it on. City's all through lower Connecticut from Greenwich to West Haven up to Danbury are covering the Bridgeport stations so that all of their personal can attend the service.

All personnel who plan on attending the funeral should stage at Steele Point at any time after 0700 hrs. Members will be bused to the two funerals from Steele Pointe and will be transported to the post funeral gathering at Harbor Yard and final transport back to Steele Point.

Directions from I95 Northbound

Take exit 28 for CT-127/E Main St

0.2 mi

Turn right at CT-127 S/E Main St

Continue to follow E Main St

0.2 mi

Turn right

240 ft

Steel Point

Bridgeport, CT 06608

Edited by crk830

Youtube of the dispatch audio from the Bridgeport LODD Fire.

Rest in peace brothers. May God bless your families and the BFD.

This was the latest update from the BFD Facebook page.

UPDATED: Services information for LT Steven Velasquez and FF Michel Baik are as follows:

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The viewing for LT Steven Velasquez will be held at the Klein Auditorium, 910 Fairfield Avenue, Bridgeport, from the hours of 12:00PM - 4:00PM

The viewing for FF Michel Baik will be held at the Abriola Parkview Funeral Home, 419 White Plains Road, Trumbull, from the hours of 4:00PM - 8:00PM

Both viewings are open to the public.

Friday, July 30, 2010

All visiting public safety communities that will be attending all services on this date will adhere to the following information:

Parking for ALL visiting public entities will park their vehicles at Steel Point on Stratford Avenue, Bridgeport. Transportation from this site will be provided to the services. Please arrive at the parking area at a reasonable time before services.

Directions:

Northbound I-95 (to New Haven)- Exit 29, left off ramp onto Seaview Avenue. Left at 1st stoplight onto Stratford Avenue. Parking area will be ahead.

Southbound I-95 (to New York)- Exit 29, left off ramp onto Seaview Avenue. Right at 1st stoplight onto Stratford Avenue. Parking area will be ahead.

Services:

The funeral service for LT Velasquez will be held St. Augustine Cathedral, 359 Washington Avenue, Bridgeport at 10:00AM. Directly after the service, all parties will then be transported to the service for FF Baik.

The funeral service for FF Baik will be held at St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church, 5458 Park Avenue, Bridgeport at 2:00PM. Directly after the service, all parties will then be transported to the service at Harbor Yard.

A Ceremony of Firefighters will be held at the conclusion of all services at the Arena at Harbor Yard, 600 Main Street, Bridgeport. Directly after this ceremony, all parties will then be returned to Steel Point to retrieve their vehicles.

I do believe as you will see below that the funerals are not private any more.......

Sorry about that Capt, had my information crossed. Thank you again for the correct information.

It's truly heartbreaking to see tragedies like this. My sincerest condolences to both of the ff's families and FD families.

I took a ride down to the "7-11 House" and the guys are holding up well. There is a very nice memorial set up in front and around Ladder 11's bay. Also there are many chalk writings on the apron and on the bay floor. I was afraid to smudge any of the writing tributes as I walked over the apron to the bay.

Services today. God Rest.

I just returned from the first service. Couldn't make the second one due to child care issues. There were many departments there that had members attend. Charleston S.C. must have had at least ten or more. Quite a few from DC and Kentland . A few from Toronto, Calgary. Along with Boston, Worcester. FDNY had a great turnout along with Yonkers and other Westchester departments. I would be surprised if any Ct. departments were there. So many others that came to show what a brotherhood we have (Policer officers were well representative in the crowd also). FDNY had a team there (along with Waterbury) that seem to run the funeral at the churches. Talking to one of the Lt's from that team he estimated that 3,500 to 4,000 people attendee the first funeral. The first mass didn't get over till almost one o'clock but considering the amount of people the transportation seem to go fine. It is always a sad day when we have to bury a Brother and two on the same day is worst. May the two brothers Rest In Peace and always watch over the rest of us!

Edited by crk830
IzzyEng4, x635 and efdcapt115 like this

Just as the good Captain said in the previous post, there was a great turnout today at Lt. Velasquez's funeral. Unfortunately I too could not attend FF Baik's funeral but watching on the news there is still a great contingent of fellow firefighters in attendance.

A fitting tribute for both men and the show of support for thier families, friends and for the brothers and sisters of the Bridgeport Fire Department.

efdcapt115 likes this

I was unable to attend the services, I had to work with OEM today for my internship, but I know ALOT of New Haven Firefighters went down, including a duty engine and truck for coverage. I wish I was able to attend, my condolences to everyone in the BFD and the families of the Fallen Brothers. I know the BFD will continue on stronger and more united than ever after this terrible tragedy.

A Great showing of support for the Bridgeports Bravest. I noticed members from as far away as Seattle,Wash., and Calgary, Canada. In addition I noticed depts in to cover all of Bridgeport's Firehouses from Milford, Fairfield, Westport, Stamford, Danbury, New Haven, West Haven, Waterbury, and Hartford, so that all of the Bridgeport Members could attend the services. And there might have been more.

A very Sad day in Bridgeport for its firefighters and family members. It was a very Sad day for the citizens of Bridgeport and all those firefighters who attended the services. I hope that the families and Bridgeport Firefighters will find the strength to accept what they can NOT change.

These Brave firefighters died in a type of building that most cities have today. Fighting fires will always be a dangerous business as long as burning buildings have to be searched for occupants. That's what Steve and Mike were doing when something went wrong.

I guess you could say that "I'm on the outside looking in now". And I have the highest respect for what firefighters do. You really are "Americas Heroes"

Edited by nfd2004
SageVigiles likes this

I went to the services today and I have to say Waterbury and fdny did a tremendous job with the services. It was a very sobering reminder of what can happen at any given time to any one of us. All I can say is I hope and pray that this was the first and last time anything like this will happen.

I apologise for not posting sooner but we have been busy up here as of late.

Thank you for your support during this terrible time. We appreciate all the members coming up and giving our fallen brothers a fitting sendoff.

For anyone interested Bridgeport Firefighters Local 834 has set up a fund for the families at www.local834.org

If people are interested in buying memorial shirts for $15 with all profits going to the families let me know. We are talking about doing sales thru the mail via PAYPAL.

Stay safe

Lt Nick Esposito

Bridgeport Fire Department

I apologise for not posting sooner but we have been busy up here as of late.

Thank you for your support during this terrible time. We appreciate all the members coming up and giving our fallen brothers a fitting sendoff.

For anyone interested Bridgeport Firefighters Local 834 has set up a fund for the families at www.local834.org

If people are interested in buying memorial shirts for $15 with all profits going to the families let me know. We are talking about doing sales thru the mail via PAYPAL.

Stay safe

Lt Nick Esposito

Bridgeport Fire Department

The Local834.org web site is now taking on line orders. Here is the link that should bring you to the page.

http://www.local834.org/index.php/2010/08/last-alarm-memorial-t-shirts-now-for-sale-online/

RIP

May GOD watch over there families.

The Bridgeport Fire Department will be at the Bridgewater Fair on Friday August 20 and Saturday August 21 accepting donations, as well as selling shirts and stickers. Come out and support our fallen Brothers.

Went to Archie Moore's in Derby last night and there was a great showing!