Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Camera Lens Fogging Up

7 posts in this topic

OK, here's a problem I've never had before and I hope you guys can help.

Today, I went down to south Austin to photograph Quint 27 (http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=37913). It was in the 70's, with higher than normal (usually none) humidity.

My Canon 40D DSLR sits in my office in a nylon bag in a shelf in my closet of my office, in the cold A/C that I keep my office at. I hang a Damprid bag in the closet to keep out any moisture.

Today, I drove down to south Austin from Round Rock (about 40 minutes) with my A/C going.

I take the camera out to ph0otograph the quint, and my lens fogs up. Wipe it off and clean it with a solution, stillo fogged up. Luckily, I had my backup Canon Powershot 12MP digital camera.

How do I prevent this?

Same problem I have with my binoculars in the summer - they get cool from being inside the air conditioned truck...when i step outside to use them they fog from the heat...

Solution...keep the lens at the same temp you will be shooting in....or...drivie with the windows down and not the AC...LOL

OK, here's a problem I've never had before and I hope you guys can help.

Today, I went down to south Austin to photograph Quint 27 (http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=37913). It was in the 70's, with higher than normal (usually none) humidity.

My Canon 40D DSLR sits in my office in a nylon bag in a shelf in my closet of my office, in the cold A/C that I keep my office at. I hang a Damprid bag in the closet to keep out any moisture.

Today, I drove down to south Austin from Round Rock (about 40 minutes) with my A/C going.

I take the camera out to ph0otograph the quint, and my lens fogs up. Wipe it off and clean it with a solution, stillo fogged up. Luckily, I had my backup Canon Powershot 12MP digital camera.

How do I prevent this?

Here's something I learned in Aruba -- cold A/C in the room and 90 degrees with 90% humidity outside.

Take a Ziplock bag and put the camera in it.

Remove as much air from the bag as possible.

15 minutes before you plan to use the camera, put the zipped bag into the temp/humidity environment you're going to shoot in

Take the camera out of the bag.

That's it. No fog.

Mind you, a vacuum bag machine (like a FoodSaver) works the best for this.

I laughed when someone told be about it after 4 days of major fogging on my Nikon D5000. Sure enough -- it didn't fog after the bag trick!!!!

Good luck.

Jeff.

Thanks for the tip guys!

For some reason, it only happens when it's humid out, which is rare in this part of the state.

Keeping the glass very clean also helps to prevent this, but if the camera and the ambient temp are the same you shouldnt have a problem. ;)

Here's something I learned in Aruba -- cold A/C in the room and 90 degrees with 90% humidity outside.

Take a Ziplock bag and put the camera in it.

Remove as much air from the bag as possible.

15 minutes before you plan to use the camera, put the zipped bag into the temp/humidity environment you're going to shoot in

Take the camera out of the bag.

That's it. No fog.

Mind you, a vacuum bag machine (like a FoodSaver) works the best for this.

I laughed when someone told be about it after 4 days of major fogging on my Nikon D5000. Sure enough -- it didn't fog after the bag trick!!!!

Good luck.

Jeff.

Just tried this with my binoculars; from inside air-conditioning out into the oppressive humidity. Used a zip-lock, squeezed the air out of it. Worked like a charm! Thank you. :)