x635

Repairs needed after Clinton's new fire truck hits station

14 posts in this topic

Repairs needed after Clinton's new fire truck hits station

Accident occurred during training

By REBECCA CRONISER

Observer-Dispatch

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

CLINTON — A new fire truck that cost more than $1 million is in the shop, and repairs are being made on a Clinton fire house after a portion of the truck hit the building during weekly training.

http://www.uticaod.com/police_fire/x2092792261/New-Clinton-fire-truck-in-the-shop-after-fire-house-collision

That truck was in the big inspection bay down at Ferrara when I was inspecting my engine down there.. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Edited by 38ff

"He said the only parts on the rig that need to be replaced are compartment doors, which were left open when the truck was pulled out of the fire house bay and struck the brick wall entrance."

We've been there, but not since we switched to roll up doors 10 years age

$1.06 Million... and no audible or visual alarms for an open door?

And I hope they are right, but if the doors snagged the building and did that much damage, I wouldn't be surprised if the body is tweaked.

Oh, and please tell me who they're getting parts from that will put this rig in service by 9/1, because we have an Engine that had an accident on 6/23 and it is still sitting in the firehouse unrepaired! :angry:

$1.06 Million... and no audible or visual alarms for an open door?

We had this happen on our 1994 Pierce TL... There was a visual alert -- a flashing red light on the cab's ceiling. The day after this happened, I added a small piezzo speaker (alarm) to the light ($1.50 at Radio Shack). The good thing was that if a compartment door was open, you heard the alarm. The bad thing was that when a door was opened (and left open) you also heard the alarm.

IMHO there should be an alarm for compartment doors being open that activates when the truck is put in gear, and a seperate alarm for a door open.

As for the damage to the building..... that's an aweful lot of damage. The door is likely aluminum and should have just continued to fold rather than the bricks breaking apart.

IMHO there should be an alarm for compartment doors being open that activates when the truck is put in gear, and a separate alarm for a door open

All of our rigs have this....or something like it. Door and compartment doors are on the same system, but the alarm is not activated until the parking brake it taken off.

All of our rigs have this....or something like it. Door and compartment doors are on the same system, but the alarm is not activated until the parking brake it taken off.

Pretty sure that's now the NFPA requirement. Our issue and many others is that with so many electronic sensors, the rate of failure is too great. We're constantly getting lights and buzzers on our two newest trucks, yet no open doors. This conditions you to start ignoring the alarms! Our Spartan chassis-ed rescue pumper is currently experiencing door alarm issues that cause the alarm to activate while in park with the brake set and no actual doors open. Certainly not convinced of multiplexing yet. And new diagnostics? Yeah right, everything says it's working 100%.

A few years back we looked at a new E-One MM tower on it's first day in-service as part of a research trip. My chief was riding in the truck with them and I was following them in my POV, as we found them out painting hydrants. I noticed they had a rear compartment open and called my chief's cell and told him. He replied they were getting the alarms, but due to frequent issues (1st day in service!)they ignored the alarm as they were "sure" it was a false reading!

Forget the buzzers, bells, lights, whistles,,,Nothing beats a pre-flight visual check: the driver walks around the rig before putting it in gear.

No more crunched doors.

efdcapt115 likes this

And I hope they are right, but if the doors snagged the building and did that much damage, I wouldn't be surprised if the body is tweaked.

Thats an unreinforced cinderblock wall. Very little lateral strength. Easy to do that much damage.

Forget the buzzers, bells, lights, whistles,,,Nothing beats a pre-flight visual check: the driver walks around the rig before putting it in gear.

No more crunched doors.

In the late 1980's we had a rear mount with those gull wing doors and 3 were open (they were about 8 feet in the air. Alarm came in and 3 members ran underneath the open doors on there way to get in the rig. The Engine pulled out 1st and the driver of the truck said he never heard the buzzer or noticed the red flasher because of the engines siren & lights.

No more crunched doors.

I 2nd that!!!Did this million dollar truck come with mirrors? I know he was pulling out, but i do take a fast look in my mirrors before or as i am rolling/pulling out.

I 2nd that!!!Did this million dollar truck come with mirrors? I know he was pulling out, but i do take a fast look in my mirrors before or as i am rolling/pulling out.

The driver might have, remember these doors are only two inches thick or less, not the most visible thing in the mirror.

The driver might have, remember these doors are only two inches thick or less, not the most visible thing in the mirror.

Regardless of mirrors, as an apparatus driver he should have done a check of the truck before moving it. Even if he told someone else to close them, the driver should always do a visual check around the apparatus, all sides before even getting into the driver's seat. Warning bells, lights and displays are nice but nothing is better than doing a visual check yourself.

In the late 1980's we had a rear mount with those gull wing doors and 3 were open (they were about 8 feet in the air. Alarm came in and 3 members ran underneath the open doors on there way to get in the rig. The Engine pulled out 1st and the driver of the truck said he never heard the buzzer or noticed the red flasher because of the engines siren & lights.

And the guy in the jump seat (the best driver in the department) had to duck under the open door to avoid hitting his head.