Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

What Makes A Great Firefighter?

18 posts in this topic

Good day to all. This question "What makes a great firefighter" was put forward in a private conversation by a respected member of this forum (I don't think he'll mind if it is brought forth and hopefully inspires some interesting posts).

Those of us in fire departments have all known a person, or people who we consider to be "great firefighters". But why do we think that? What are the "traits and characteristics" that make us feel that way?

This question really got me to thinking about those I've known who I did consider to be great firefighters, and the various reasons why I thought so. Go for it, it's a challenging question, and have fun with it! (many thanks to the brother who posed it initially). :)

BALLS and BRAINS

Not nececcarily book knowledge. He has a feel for the everyday fire and make on-the-spot decisions

It starts as a probie, the way you conduct yourself between the things you need to learn, as well as the stuff you have to deal with in that role. Self control, self discipline and a sense of humor (a must). Being a team player, respecting the chain of command and "pecking" order both formal and informal. Giving 100% all the time, taking responsibility for mistakes and always learn from them. Never forget you dont know it all, and never will, so keep your eyes and ears open. Just a few off the top of my head...good topic.

Edited by spin_the_wheel
efdcapt115 likes this

heart, determination, community pride, love of what you do, dedication to your company/department, selflessness, corage, ability to think "outside the box", willingess to go the extra mile,

I will take a shot at this, I dont like the term great firefighter, I will hit it as what is a good firefighter, someone who comes prepared to do whatever needs to be done without being told when to do it. A good firefighter doesnt shirk his duties, firehouse, fire scene, or fire dept function. He is quick to share his knowledge, and what he doesnt know he asks or finds out. He is the guy you can always count on to remain calm, yet be able to break tension in a moment. Like was said he has a real feel for the job, and doesnt act like the fire service owes him anything.

We have a ton of "good guys", but as I told a graduating class of probies, if after you end your career you are remembered as a "good firefighter" you did the right thing while you served.

FD7807 likes this

Let's not forget the term firefighter is gender-neutral.

I am certain there are many great female firefighters with all the requisite qualities, including "balls".

A member who thinks of others before themself makes a good firefighter. I always found that the whole thing starts falling apart when people worry too much about themselves and forget about the team, company, firehouse. If a guy shirks his duties when it comes to house work are we really going to trust him to get the roof.

FD7807 likes this

ok im down for this one.

a great firefighter someone who has the understanding that helping ones community and showing department pride doesnt get in the way at a call or around the fire house. one who has knowledge and wants to keep expanding his/her knowledge while talking with both "old timers" and new members of the fire service. one who keeps trying to understand the "beast" we fight, and tries to find an understanding of what makes it tick. one who is not affraid nore brave enough to say they werent scared.

thanks all i can think of for now.

FD7807 likes this

Some of the traits I would think make a " great fire fighter".... honor, integrity.

Selflessness, courage to do the right when maybe no one else has the "balls" ( as some men have put it) To do the right thing ( takes courage to run into a flaming building sure, but more to be be a person of integrity and ones word). They also must know that learning never stops; no matter how old or young they are or their brother/sister firefighter is that willingly shares information with them about a class or experience. They should have a degree of humility about what they do in and out of fire department. One last thing... one of my role models in the martial arts always reminded me.... you have two ears, two eyes and one mouth... so you should listen and watch twice as much as you speak.

Edited by Faded Soul
efdcapt115 and wraftery like this

I will take a shot at this, I dont like the term great firefighter, I will hit it as what is a good firefighter, someone who comes prepared to do whatever needs to be done without being told when to do it. A good firefighter doesnt shirk his duties, firehouse, fire scene, or fire dept function. He is quick to share his knowledge, and what he doesnt know he asks or finds out. He is the guy you can always count on to remain calm, yet be able to break tension in a moment. Like was said he has a real feel for the job, and doesnt act like the fire service owes him anything.

We have a ton of "good guys", but as I told a graduating class of probies, if after you end your career you are remembered as a "good firefighter" you did the right thing while you served.

Let's not forget the term firefighter is gender-neutral.

I am certain there are many great female firefighters with all the requisite qualities, including "balls".

My apologies to the female firefighters for the choice of words. I was by no means being derrogatory towards you. When I used the word "balls," I was not referring to the male anatomy. There is officially no part of the male anatomy named balls and that part of the male anatomy with the nickname has nothing to do with a man's courage. I was referring to a set of traits...very hard to list, impossible to describe, but when an old timer like me is talking about a fellow Firefighter, male or female, and I say he or she has "balls," I have just told you that I truly respect your courage in the face of danger, among other traits. I am not Politically Correct nor do I ever intend to be. Political correctness often softens reality.

Capt Benz gave a good description of a "good firefighter." In the old days of only males on the job, if you asked "do you know John Doe?" and the answer came back "yeah, Good Man," it was like a secret code that says John Doe is well respected. We just haven't come up with that secret code for female firefighters. Good woman or Good Girl doesn't do it. Good Firefighter doesn't covey the full meaning as Good Man does. We are too entrenched in political correctness to come up with the right words. I do know that to get that distinction, you've gotta have "Balls."

Bnechis and jack10562 like this

My apologies to the female firefighters for the choice of words. I was by no means being derrogatory towards you. When I used the word "balls," I was not referring to the male anatomy. There is officially no part of the male anatomy named balls and that part of the male anatomy with the nickname has nothing to do with a man's courage. I was referring to a set of traits...very hard to list, impossible to describe, but when an old timer like me is talking about a fellow Firefighter, male or female, and I say he or she has "balls," I have just told you that I truly respect your courage in the face of danger, among other traits. I am not Politically Correct nor do I ever intend to be. Political correctness often softens reality.

Capt Benz gave a good description of a "good firefighter." In the old days of only males on the job, if you asked "do you know John Doe?" and the answer came back "yeah, Good Man," it was like a secret code that says John Doe is well respected. We just haven't come up with that secret code for female firefighters. Good woman or Good Girl doesn't do it. Good Firefighter doesn't covey the full meaning as Good Man does. We are too entrenched in political correctness to come up with the right words. I do know that to get that distinction, you've gotta have "Balls."

"She's Good People"....I always liked the "good people" line.

Does a "GOOD GUY" equate to being a"GOOD FIREFIGHTER"?

I have heard both of these terms to describe a FF. To me, when I ask about Joe Blow and get the response "He's a "good guy" this means (to me) that this FF is tolerable in the firehouse, someone you would go have a beer with (ie. He is not hated by the majority). Now when I am hit with the response "He's a Great/good Firefighter" This is they guy I'm going to seek out and pick his brain, they do not have to be the most senior or even of rank. I was once told when asked if I wanted to be a good FF or an average FF that it comes down to basics, if I was able to 100% master the basics, perform them without hesitation or yet even thinking about it, that this is what would separate me from the rest. Now as for what the 'BASICS" would consist of could be debated till we all retire but there is a few constants among all of us. JMO :ph34r:

Edited by Firediver
efdcapt115 likes this

Well said, Chief Rafferty. It was not my intention to call you out negatively on your use of a word with multiple meanings. Quite the opposite in fact..

I imagine most of our forum audience instinctively understood your meaning, male oriented slang intended to convey courage, guts and gumption, respect, among other traits, and not having anything to do with anatomy.

Political correctness is for woosies.

Does a "GOOD GUY" equate to being a"GOOD FIREFIGHTER"?

I have heard both of these terms to describe a FF. To me, when I ask about Joe Blow and get the response "He's a "good guy" this means (to me) that this FF is tolerable in the firehouse, someone you would go have a beer with (ie. He is not hated by the majority). Now when I am hit with the response "He's a Great/good Firefighter" This is they guy I'm going to seek out and pick his brain, they do not have to be the most senior or even of rank. I was once told when asked if I wanted to be a good FF or an average FF that it comes down to basics, if I was able to 100% master the basics, perform them without hesitation or yet even thinking about it, that this is what would separate me from the rest. Now as for what the 'BASICS" would consist of could be debated till we all retire but there is a few constants among all of us. JMO :ph34r:

Ah, Grasshopper, once again the Secret Code. If you ask a FF "Do you know Joe Blow?" Listen between the lines at the answer.

Yeah I know Joe means Joe's a slug and the FF doesn't like him

Yeah, Joe's a good guy means fun to hang out with, maybe not a good FF

Yeah Joe's a good FF means you trust Joe

Joe? Yeah...Good man Means you would follow through hellfire

You've got it figured out, Firediver. I just put the secret code up for newcomers who didn't know.

Hey, there's some great responses to the question so far. I also have looked at the list of users who have visited the thread, and in close to 200 so far, there a quite a few more that should be heard from. Let's all hope they decide to chime in, because this is a thread where great things are being said (hey that rhymes :) ).

Hey, there's some great responses to the question so far. I also have looked at the list of users who have visited the thread, and in close to 200 so far, there a quite a few more that should be heard from. Let's all hope they decide to chime in, because this is a thread where great things are being said (hey that rhymes :) ).

OK...I'll throw in my 2 cents cap.

I feel a great firefighter is one that will put all others ahead of him/her self (goin PC here guys and gals). They will take the time to show the "Young guns" the tricks of the trade and arent afraid to learn something new. They will always respect those that respect them and dont allow the ego to get in the way.

Lots of good opinions here and like the cap said, I hope more people chime in!

As an officer, I usually found myself paying speciial attention to the on-scene whereabouts and actions of the guys that are considered the great furefighters. They are the most agressive and will push the hardest at a job.

Not that they overpush the envelope. They know and follow the plan. But if trouble comes it will likely come near your best people. Company Officers and IC's should keep an eye on their best people as a practice. When you train on RIT (FAST) this is a good thing to mention.

Just a thought.

Someone you could look up to. Someone you would trust with your life. Someone who never stops learning. Someone who is not afraid to make decisions and stands by them. Someone who puts others first. Someone who tells you like it is and not what you want to hear.