Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Millwood Fire Company- New Officers

27 posts in this topic

A special election was held tonight after 4 of 7 officers (Captain, 1st,2nd,3rd Lt's) stepped down.

Chief (2251): Joe Rod

1st Asst. Chief (2252): Michael Horan

2nd Asst. Chief (2253): Jorge Rodrigues

Captain (2254): George Racz

1st Lieutenant (2255): Dan Puzska

2nd Lieutenant (2256): Jason Lewer

3rd Lieutenant (2257): Brian Porricelli

Edited by xfirefighter484x

The bigger question I have is why did 4 of the 7 officers step down?

effd3918 likes this

I was thinking to myself - its a weird time of the year. But if you lost your lower half like an avalanche, it makes sense. Good luck with the new butterbars and Captain.

The bigger question I have is why did 4 of the 7 officers step down?

That's a great question! From what I've gathered, there were many problems and decisions made by the "Head Honcho" that upset and frustrated the officers and some members.

I heard there was a lot of conflict between the chiefs and line officers. Some of the drama led to the demise of Millwood's FAS team. Hopefully, the Chiefs will care about reconize the "younger members" and decide to start training and re-institute their FAS team ASAP.

I heard there was a lot of conflict between the chiefs and line officers. Some of the drama led to the demise of Millwood's FAS team. Hopefully, the Chiefs will care about reconize the "younger members" and decide to start training and re-institute their FAS team ASAP.

I will tell you that the group of young officers who stepped down are some of the finest firefighters I've ever known. They are kind individuals and diligent FF's who train hard so that when the big one arrives they are ready to give 110%. Their conflict with other members of authority in the department has played itself out many times across the fire service where hard working young members who have lots of experience from outside their home department are looked upon as a threat. They respectfully stood their ground and when the "old line" wouldn't budge, they resigned as a group so that there wouldn't be a toxic environment amongst the ranks.

These guys were the next generation of fine leaders for a small department that has always distinguished itself amongst its larger peers. Although I'm no longer living in NY, had I not chosen to move to Florida 6 years ago, I would most likely be chief of department today and would love to have each of these guys on my team of officers. Its the departments loss.

Alpinerunner and psyanide like this

from what i understand the events leading up to the resignation of those 4 officers as well as the other young firefighters that stepped away for the time being, were a long list of incidents that could no longer go unnoticed and tolerated and something needed to be done. So these officers did what they saw fit, and i agree with them 110%.

<_<....HMMM

Although not an ideal situation, let's not make this a young officer commentary. It's not fair to Jason. If MFC is committed to young officers, the senior men will step up and help him lead. Unfortunately if history repeats itself he will be viewed as a threat as he develops and we know how that pans out.

Edited by mfc2257

Big Big difference!. First, there is a set amount of time each enlisted person must be "in Rank" before they advance and each advancement differs in time, along with specific Rate qualifications one must complete. And with the exception of the Reserves, THIS IS THEIR FULL TIME JOB! NOT the case in young Jason's situation here. :ph34r:

please please please...lets not drag a fully dedicated, committed and enthusiastic young man into this mess. Its shooting the messenger gentleman.

BTW, a friend of mine, a recent West Point Graduate is leading Combat Unit in Afghanistan, he is younger than half the men in his unit. If he can do it, Jason can too if given a chance.

Edited by bvfdjc316

This was about the analogy that was used that did not fit and I did not question Jason's ability did I? The last time I checked, your friend went to a 4yr Academy(full time) PLUS training before he was given ANY command yes? :ph34r:

Yes he did complete all 4 years and no you did not question his ability. All I was saying is that is unfair to specifically drag Jason through the mud because of his age. This is a problem across the board in volunteer fire departments in westchester and across the country and it does not do any good specifically singling out this one individual.

Jason was mentioned by name is a earlier post by someone who had him in a FF-1 class and IMO has the right to comment on him before either you(unless you work or were in class with him) or I. :ph34r:

Jason was mentioned earlier with a little tongue in cheek and a smiley face about his perceived level of experience. It isn't his fault that there isn't an overwhelmingly obvious choice with more experience to fill the same position. Those four individuals who were the obvious choice were given the option to conform to an antiquated standard and/or survive toxicity in the ranks. They chose sanity....... Jason is being asked to fill a position that is typically held by individuals with more tenure under their belt.

The real issue is that 4 fine men aren't serving as officers in a strong (albeit small) fire company because of the actions a superior officer and the status quo that was given to his opinion.

Lets leave Jason out of this and if you have the opportunity to work with him on the fire ground or in training, step up and guide him so that he can become a respected leader regardless of age. Let me be clear, that I've never met him as he joined after I moved away.

Maybe instead of discussing Jason and his perceived lack of experience, we should out the senior person(s) who created this nonsense.

Alpinerunner likes this

Jason was mentioned earlier with a little tongue in cheek and a smiley face about his perceived level of experience. It isn't his fault that there isn't an overwhelmingly obvious choice with more experience to fill the same position. Those four individuals who were the obvious choice were given the option to conform to an antiquated standard and/or survive toxicity in the ranks. They chose sanity....... Jason is being asked to fill a position that is typically held by individuals with more tenure under their belt.

The real issue is that 4 fine men aren't serving as officers in a strong (albeit small) fire company because of the actions a superior officer and the status quo that was given to his opinion.

Lets leave Jason out of this and if you have the opportunity to work with him on the fire ground or in training, step up and guide him so that he can become a respected leader regardless of age. Let me be clear, that I've never met him as he joined after I moved away.

Maybe instead of discussing Jason and his perceived lack of experience, we should out the senior person(s) who created this nonsense.

exactly what I was trying to say...thank you.

My point was and still is, if we as a fire service are to respect the ranks of officers who are there to lead us and not just take up a spot, 2 years in the fire service is not enough time to have learned the job well enough to go to a point of leading members.

Shouldn't you at least learn the job before taking on the responsibility of leading the job? And he could have refused the nomination. So Millwood has no time frame to be a firefighter before running for officer? That could be a problem in itself. This isnt a personal attack on Jason, this about the system that allows firefighters to progress to quickly to a point of responsibility when they havent MASTERED all aspects of the role they were in, and this goes for all ranks.

helicopper and KFIYL2000 like this

my point was and still is if we as a fire service are to respect the ranks of officers who are there to lead us not just take up a spot, 2 years in the fire service is not enough time to have learned the job well enough to go to a point of leading members.

should'nt you at least learn the job before taking on the responsibility of leading the job. and he could have refused the nomination. so millwood has no time frame to be a firefighter before running for officer? that could be a problem in itself. This isnt a personal attack on jason, this about the system that allows firefighters to progress to quickly to a point of responsibility when they havent MASTERED all aspects of the role they were in, and this goes for all ranks.

It's a HUGE issue. Had the powers-that-be not acted the way they did, the issue wouldn't be presenting itself because the 4 aforementioned members who stepped down have at 6 or more years in the department AND some have extensive experience running with one of the busiest companies in Prince Georges County MD (not 33 for all those who will jump on that bandwagon).

If I recall, you can join as a full member of MFC at 16 (not explorer/junior) and you must be 18 and have been an active member for 2 years before you can hold office. The guidelines for officers aren't strong enough, that is for sure. I don't know Jason as I've mentioned before, so I have no idea how well prepared he is to be a leader. The department is in a catch 22 right now and the thing to do would have been to support the 4 guys who were (past tense) making a difference. They'd be the ones to mentor Jason so that he would be better prepared to step into a 3rd LT spot in two years when the process starts over again.

Unfortunately in the past decade, I've seen more instances of strong, capable young officers like for 4 who stepped down being hamstrung because of their desire to make departments a better place and refreshing the standards under which they operate. The "old line" can't imagine that a twenty something might have a pretty good grip on the modern fire service and what has to happen to achieve greatness. They're willing to do the work and test out the improvements, but the "old line" doesn't want to listen because it might mean that they have to change the way they do things. It happened to me too even before I was an officer. I tried to suggest improvements on some of the most simple things from changing the way we packed hose to new extrication techniques to more effective/less damaging ways to extinguish chimney fires. Everything got shot down until finally Walter Quast and John Lembke (two great chiefs who themselves had issues with the "old line") finally gave my stuff a shot. Those improvements continue to be in practice today... If it weren't for their help, my ideas would have been thrown in the trash because they came from a 22yr old college kid who couldn't possibly know anything.

Edited by mfc2257

I give Jason credit for wanting to help. Members will respect him for what he is doing. EVERY department has it's problems, just some don't go this far. Having been a Chief, it's not easy and that is why you see more and more Ex Chiefs having to go back in. It isn't like it was years ago, now it is all politics. Jason and the new officers, good luck and thank you.

the fire service is turning into nothing but politics! It's really not the way it use to be as a whole

With 23 yrs of FF experience, I believe these guys should have ridden this out. I've seen people come and go. Either the senior guys will shoot themselves in the foot or done their job. Either way these guys one day would have been in a position to change things if needed.

No disrespect meant to any individual, but this is what you get when you "elect" your leadership.

the fire service is turning into nothing but politics! It's really not the way it use to be as a whole

Whether we want to admit it or not, public service has always been repleat with politics no matter if its volunteer or career. Anyone who denies this isn't being honest with themselves.

Edited by gamewell45

No disrespect meant to any individual, but this is what you get when you "elect" your leadership.

Those of us in Civil Service know that sometimes, being straddled with inept leadership merely because he or she was the "best test taker" or is an executive department "appointee", can be equally problematic, sometimes more so.

Agreed, tho even in appointed positions politics and patronism is rampant in various agencies whether volunteer or career.

Those of us in Civil Service know that sometimes, being straddled with inept leadership merely because he or she was the "best test taker" or is an executive department "appointee", can be equally problematic, sometimes more so.

Without a doubt few systems are flawless. Often where problem employees exist there are other deeper seated organizational issues that allow said problem people to exist. But a well established base criteria for promotion coupled with a balance of written examination, oral boards will eliminate most of the BS politics and who's the best buddy issues. With elected officers there's very frequently questions of the officer's ability that are difficult to disprove.

I've lived both sides of this fence starting out in a vollie FD where I was appointed as company officer and later elected as a chief officer. In both cases, I later learned how fortunate I was not to have allowed anyone to be hurt or killed by my very limited experience. And I was likely one of the firefighters who sought out the most training and had the highest attendance records. Still the election was a result of inner turmoil with old guard vs. new, and had little to do with who was actually the better leader both tactically or on personnel matters.

I do believe some VFD's can still minimize the impact of the election of officers by putting forth criteria such as minimum attendance of training and incidents, minimum time in grade and minimum certifications.

Agreed, tho even in appointed positions politics and patronism is rampant in various agencies whether volunteer or career.

That is why positions really should be tested for. When management and Union's work together to establish a system of promotions that has transparency, most of the politics and favoritism is minimized. While it is difficult to assess a measurable result of every requisite trait, the more readily personnel can see how to attain higher rank with the BS, the better the overall FD will be.