Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

Chief Vehicle Command Cabinets

18 posts in this topic

I have noticed that almost all new chief vehicle are equipped with cabinets in the rear compartment.

post-1655-080609500 1284643157.jpg

Who are the manufacturers of these custom cabinets?

What is the range in price?

Also, a lot of the vehicles are equipped with radios attached to these cabinets. Seems like these cabinets are the way to go.

Any positive or negative feedback on these cabinets??

JBJ

Joe,

Our last car, and the one currently on order, are both equipped with Truckvault units. They have some generic types, but for additional money, you can customize them. Here's a LINK

As for radios in the back, we've put radio control heads in the rear of all of our command units ever since we moved away from the old sedans we had.

Give me a shout if you want more info...

The name Odessy Cabinets rings a bell. Try calling DC Spinelli in Hartsdale 949-0243

Also get the suburban with the lift up tail gate instead of the one pictured if that is what you are buying. You can't write on your ICS board in the rain. The tailgate gives it some cover and you can add overhead lights.

The new thing is the pickup truck. See Yonkers Batt 2

Mobile Fleet Command Cabinets are the best in the Industry. The construction is great, the quality is second to noone and the prices are great. Mobile Fleet has a full website listed below that anyon can visit and see some of our designs. We also make custom designs and custom fit to each department's needs. The showroom is located in Orangeburg NY and Mobile Fleet manufactures cabinets that are used all Across the United States. If anyone has questions or needs help with a Command Cabinet, they should just call the office. The phone number is 1-866-674-1110. See the website link below.

http://www.mobilefleet.com/command_cabinets.html

scba6_popup.jpg

Specialty Warning Systems, who post many pictures on this site of their install work, make custom cabinets to any configuration you can dream.

www.specialtywarningsystems.com

I do not like the rear-SUV command posts - they RARELY get used from my experiences.

I prefer to set up on a corner of the fire building, or scene where I can get a good look at at least two sides at all times.

I do not like the rear-SUV command posts - they RARELY get used from my experiences.

I prefer to set up on a corner of the fire building, or scene where I can get a good look at at least two sides at all times.

While the command posts might rarely get used, having mounting brackets and cabinets for the various tools an IC has to bring with them to the scene is a good idea. Honestly it is simply a safety issue, by having everything in some sort container and secured, it is preventing it from being a projectile during a collision and can prevent serious injuries should some of those unsecured objects become airborne. A simple divider between trunk and passenger can accomplish this, however it is nice for everything to have a specific home.

Edited by bvfdjc316

While the command posts might rarely get used, having mounting brackets and cabinets for the various tools an IC has to bring with them to the scene is a good idea. Honestly it is simply a safety issue, by having everything in some sort container and secured, it is preventing it from being a projectile during a collision and can prevent serious injuries should some of those unsecured objects become airborne. A simple divider between trunk and passenger can accomplish this, however it is nice for everything to have a specific home.

I somewhat agree....but what tools does an IC "NEED" other than his brain, PPE, and a handie -talkie for most daily emergencies?

Think about it - emphasis on need..

The safety cage/barrier is a must. I have one in my Suburban to protect my children from getting hit by whatever junk I seem to be carrying at the time..(not a department rig, my very own....LOL).

We had similar compartments in a medic flycar I use to work on and it made the tail heavy and the front end to light. use to cause lots of front end spins particularly in bad weather. so we ripped it out. You would be shocked how much all that plywood costs.

While they look very nice and orginized, why is it the very busy depts (Im thinking major cities) dont have them and you never see the chiefs car in front of the building?

Edited by Bnechis
x129K likes this

Personally, I only use the rear cabinets when I am an IC at a major incident (rarely) other than that I only use it as a place to use the toughbook and it has streamlight and portable chargers...

As the IC, I rarely need any equipment other then the radios, a notebook and/or dry erase board. But Chiefs aren't always the IC, and sometimes we're the first ones on the scene and we need to do things ASAP. Some examples include MVAs where the trauma bag is needed, or small nuisance fires where the can is sufficent. Other equipment in our cars includes a set of irons, bolt cutters and binoculars - all of which get used.

To generalize that equipment isn't needed in a command vehicle is wrong. How department #1 works may be different than department #2.

JBJ1202 likes this

To generalize that equipment isn't needed in a command vehicle is wrong. How department #1 works may be different than department #2.

Ill have to agree with ya on this John, Ive seen Chief's with out the "command box" and they look so unorganized its not funny. The command officer does still need basic tool for those jobs that need to be handled on the spot, (ex. force entry on and EMS run, small camp fire ect...) They do help the chief stay organized, which is very important (mostly for the ones with OCD).

It's a double edged sword....yes, it is nice to have that gear...BUT..it can also promote freelancing.

It's a double edged sword....yes, it is nice to have that gear...BUT..it can also promote freelancing.

How is it freelancing if the chief officer or incident commander does a task themselves if no other units have arrived on scene yet?

Edited by bvfdjc316

I have massive OCD when It comes to those things. Often times I will find myself responding with the Med and they are locked out, But the irons are always where i need them and not floating around in the back of my Vehicle.

I hate advertising on any forum because it is not the place. Please contact me for further information. I can tell you some of the differences in cabinets.

Dan Jenkins

www.fyrtrks.com

I would agree that these cabinets make the rear of the vehicle tail heavy wouldn't use it unless you are using a 3/4 ton suburban or 1 ton pickup. In the fleet that I help maintain we have 2 Tahoes and I don't like they way they drive. Just my opinion.

Gentlemen,

Everyone has shared very helpful information and contacts. My department recently purchased a used Chevy Suburban with the dual rear doors. The only problem is the previous department kept the command box to be installed in the new vehicle. Anyone out there know of any departments with used boxes for sale? Any Info would be appreciated.

Contact me through PM.

Chief