Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Teen Who Critically Injured Irvington Cop Given "Deal"

26 posts in this topic

Ridiculous!

http://completelylegal.lohudblogs.com/2010/09/16/teen-offered-7-years-in-prison-for-wreck-that-hurt-irvington-cop/

7 years? Officer Osso is going to be dealing with this kid's actions for the rest of his life. Prosecute him on every charge they can find in NY and CT!

And what about early release? Doesn't say that this kid might get out before 7 years.

It may have been an impulsive action, but he chose to flee the police and lost....in the meantime nearly killed an officer.

What is wrong with the DA's office?

Ridiculous!

http://completelyleg...-irvington-cop/

7 years? Officer Osso is going to be dealing with this kid's actions for the rest of his life. Prosecute him on every charge they can find in NY and CT!

And what about early release? Doesn't say that this kid might get out before 7 years.

It may have been an impulsive action, but he chose to flee the police and lost....in the meantime nearly killed an officer.

Im just guessing, but perhaps the DA's office felt that the case might not have been as strong as they would have hoped? Perhaps not enough evidence to make a strong enough case?

Ridiculous!

http://completelylegal.lohudblogs.com/2010/09/16/teen-offered-7-years-in-prison-for-wreck-that-hurt-irvington-cop/

1. Despite his youthful offender status being underage, this deal would have him plead guilty as an adult and not a minor

2. We are dealing with a troubled youth here who was living at a group home where he felt his life was in danger, not mitigating circumstances but explanation, he clearly was not of sound judgement or mind when the event occured

3. As Gamewell45 stated, just because you know someone did something does not mean you can prove it, or the case is really that strong

4. This seems to be fair trade so long as more than 5 years are served. We all know of people convicted of actually killing someone have served way less then 7 years. Think Ralph Tarchine who killed Mike Plunkett in Bedford several years ago in a drunk driving accident who served less than three years

5. Maybe complete justice is not in everyones best interest. Maybe someone has decided to maybe give this kid a chance at a second chance if he can clean up his act in 7 years.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Agree with X635, guys like this kid need to get the book thrown at them. As far as his troubled life - unless he's got a severe diagnosed psychological condition - he knew right from wrong.

When you go to prison for 7 years, you come out a more of a criminal then you went in as. He's going to come out a career criminal and be popular in jail for the act he commited injuring a police officer.

I agree that this may solidify the case without having to go to trial, but I still think there should be much more of a penalty, including a civil suit to whatever state agency was responsible for this kid to pay for Officer Osso's injuries.

The evidence is clear, however these lawyers could potentially influence a jury by questioning police procedures. I think the deal will get him locked up, I just would like to see more details.

Also, will he be tried in CT as well for auto theft?

I wonder if he has shown any remorse?

Again, Officer Osso and his family has to live with his life as he knew it destroyed by this kid's actions while trying to protect the citizens of Irvington.

Osso, 31, suffered severe head trauma, a shattered pelvis and other injuries in the April 21 crash. He is recovering at home in Hopewell Junction after spending several months in the hospital

You think his life will ever be the same?

Officer Osso suffered horrific injuries. This perp, no matter how troubled he is a perp who not only critically wounded a cop but also put other lives in jeopardy as well. This perp deserves more than 7 years in fact should do twice that. We have to stop justifying why people do things and make them accountable for thier actions.

BFD1054 and efdcapt115 like this

Ridiculous!

Unfortunatly this is what we have to deal with. The Westchester DA's Office is infamous for their plea bargains... How do you think they keep their conviction rate so high.

Hopefully we all remember this come election time!

from being on scene that night with DFVAC and working on Officer Osso and the perp he deserves alot more time then 7 years

Send him to college, if he even has finished high school, and I thought I was a bad driver as a teen.

This is what’s wrong with the criminal justice system today, there is no justice. You want to plea bargain this guy, who seriously injured someone, who for the rest of his life will NEVER be the same and give him 7 years?? But they want to give someone like Roger Clemens who hurt NO ONE but himself 25 plus years in federal prison. People who commit crimes should be held accountable for what they do and maybe they might think before the do the crime

Now bvfdjc316 you say it seems like a fair trade? I would like you to go visit Louie and his wife (or any victim for that matter) and tell them it seems like a fair trade. Louie will be going thru years of hell while this guy gets 3 hot’s and a cot on us. And yes I may seem a little angry about your comment but that’s because Louie’s not only a great guy who give you the shirt off his back but he’s also a personal friend of mine

Ya perps get off with a slap on the wrist these days. A kid damn near kills a cop and it's well we reached a deal and he will just do 7 years maybe 3-5 with good behavior. But if someone is caught with drugs it's "lets send him away for 20 years". The kid was a disaster and going to jail will only make him worse. As stated the prison's job is to reform these guys into worse criminals. Very few ever come out "better" people.

1. Despite his youthful offender status being underage, this deal would have him plead guilty as an adult and not a minor

2. We are dealing with a troubled youth here who was living at a group home where he felt his life was in danger, not mitigating circumstances but explanation, he clearly was not of sound judgement or mind when the event occured

3. As Gamewell45 stated, just because you know someone did something does not mean you can prove it, or the case is really that strong

4. This seems to be fair trade so long as more than 5 years are served. We all know of people convicted of actually killing someone have served way less then 7 years. Think Ralph Tarchine who killed Mike Plunkett in Bedford several years ago in a drunk driving accident who served less than three years

5. Maybe complete justice is not in everyones best interest. Maybe someone has decided to maybe give this kid a chance at a second chance if he can clean up his act in 7 years.

YOU ARE KIDDING ME WITH THIS NONSENSE RIGHT?????

I'm going to reply to this post point by point.

1. This punk is not underage as you say.. In NY, 16 and over go to the county jail and 15 and under go to woodfield cottage so he is in the county jail and will serve his time in New York State Prison...he is very much of age and will answer for his crimes as an adult.

2. Just because this kid tells as story about being afraid for his life, you believe it right away? Did it ever occur to you that he needed a story to cover or try to explain his actions and that is the tall tale he came up with ? You make a bold statement that he was clearly not of sound judgement or mind when the event occured... HOW DO YOU KNOW ?? Are you his shrink, social worker, parent or friend ? No, so it seems that you aren't qualified or able to make that statement. You coming to this kids defense is sickening !!!

3. This is a very strong case, he made statements, they saw him in the stolen car and he was pulled from the stolen car after he struck Officer Osso's vehicle... what more evidence do you need ?? I've been a cop for 12 years and have dealt with the DA's office nonsense many times.... they will give a plea to anyone just to save money and get an easy conviction to keep the conviction rate up.

4. This seems like a fair trade to who ??? Maybe to you but not the rest of us... I don't know what world you live in but in my world, when a cops gets hurt there are no fair trades ... the lives of my brothers and sisters aren't available for fair trades ... when a cops gets hurt or killed there should be swift judgements and harsh penalties, NOTHING LESS !!! The example you gave of a DWI sentence with a fatality doesn't apply because the laws are different when it comes to crimes against on duty police officers, a little fact I guess you over looked.

5. You say that maybe complete justice isn't in everyone's best interest ?? THE ONLY JUSTICE SHOULD BE FOR P.O. OSSO, HE IS THE VICTIM HERE - END OF STORY - there doesnt need to be any second chances for this punk kid, he made his choices and he made his bed and now he goes to jail. My Hope is that this kid rejects the deal and is found guilty at trial and is sentenced to the maximum for his crimes.

jack10562, BFD1054 and Alpinerunner like this

I am neither a cop, or a supporter of this perp but I have a couple of questions for the PO's on the board. What is the max time if convicted of all charges? Would the charges be served concurrent or consecutive? The article states the Judge offered the plea, can the judge do that or did it come from the DA office?

This is an extremely personal and emotional topic for many members of this forum. Please do not let the argument about the plea deal become an argument between members.

If you're taking a "theoretical" or "academic" position, understand that those with a personal interest in this may respond emotionally.

Posts attacking each other will be removed from the thread so please stay on topic, re-read your post, and count to 10 before hitting "post".

Thank you.

I am neither a cop, or a supporter of this perp but I have a couple of questions for the PO's on the board. What is the max time if convicted of all charges? Would the charges be served concurrent or consecutive? The article states the Judge offered the plea, can the judge do that or did it come from the DA office?

That's a difficult question to answer simply. It depends on the charge(s) and there are sentencing guidelines that define if sentences for different charges can be concurrent or consecutive (most often they're concurrent).

I'm pretty sure that the DA would have to sign off on the plea deal but I'm not sure who initiated the discussion in this case.

The plea deal comes from the DA's office. During a pre-trial conference the DA proposes the plea to the judge who has to agree to it and it is then passed on to the defense for their consideration. The judge stated the plea in court but it wouldn't actually come from him.

In most cases the time is concurrent.

As far as the max time if convicted on all charges, the top count is assault in the 1st degree which can carry a sentence of 15 + years, then you have the additional charges of grand larceny, posession of stolen property, unlawfully fleeing a police officer, reckless endangerment and i'm sure there are a few more things im not thinking of right now.

The plea deal comes from the DA's office. During a pre-trial conference the DA proposes the plea to the judge who has to agree to it and it is then passed on to the defense for their consideration. The judge stated the plea in court but it wouldn't actually come from him.

In most cases the time is concurrent.

As far as the max time if convicted on all charges, the top count is assault in the 1st degree which can carry a sentence of 15 + years, then you have the additional charges of grand larceny, posession of stolen property, unlawfully fleeing a police officer, reckless endangerment and i'm sure there are a few more things im not thinking of right now.

A couple of clarifications.

1. The plea can work wither way. Either the DA proposes it, or the defense asks for it. Then both sides generally come to an agreement beforepresenting it to the judge for approval.

2. By law, in this case all sentences would have to be concurrent, with the exception of the original grand larceny for stealing the car. The Penal Law (70.25-02) demands that all sentences be concurrent for multiple acts arising from the same incident.

3. The maximum sentence for Assault 1st is 25 years. (NYS PL 70.02-03[a])

Being curious here, is it entirely possible that the Westchester DA is going easy on the kid, although 7 years isn't easy, because it's his first offense?? I'm not condoning the sentence by any means here. Just wondering. Personally, I feel concurrent sentences are a joke.

Ridiculous!

[/quot\

Wow that is a complete crock. I cannot believe that a young officer who like X635 said will have consequences of this for the rest of his life can know that this kid is out and about. It's a shame. What ever happened to justice ?

I think Officer Osso should be the one to approve or disapprove any "deals" being offered to his assailant. After all it is his life that has been destroyed by this slimebag.

Make this perp serve nothing less than the longest sentence for the most serious charge, assault-1, 25 yrs, and then if they still want, play games with concurrent terms for every other offense he is convicted of.

When he's done here, send him back to Connecticut to serve the time for those charges.

...........Also, will he be tried in CT as well for auto theft?

Yes he will be tried in CT as that is where the car was stolen. Right now its it's in JC due to his age (nothing found in the Adult Lookup online). With bringing the stolen car over state lines, that should constitute as Grand Theft Auto, evading, ect. ect. ect.

I wonder what would happen if this kid slammed into a D.A.'s car while driving home? And the D.A. was critically injured and had/has to go through what Officer Osso did and is? I hope the PBA organizes a protest of this, even if it's a done deal just to show how lenient the DA's office is.

I guess in Westchester you can committ several serious felonies including assault on a police officer and go to jail for 7 years, only to come out more of a criminal then when he went in. 95% chance this kid goes back to jail after being released. He's not going to be "corrected". This kid had a lot of time to think about his actions. And will have a lot of time in jail to train to be a real criminal, especially since he didn't get any real time for his actions, and he will probaly be popular for what he did to a police officer.

And when he gets out in 7 years, Officer Osso is going to have to live with this kid's actions and the pain he will have for the rest of his life.

He needs to be kept away from society, because now he's a danger to society. The only thing he should be doing is mowing Officer Osso's lawn and shoveling his driveway in shackles.

I'm no fan of the plea bargain system from either end; it may save money, but I don't think it offers justice - to victims, as in this case, OR to innocent.people who find themselves accused in other cases.

With regard to the present case, if all else fails, hopefully the brothers and sisters in Corrections will do their bit, and make sure these aren't exactly the easiest seven years of this young punk's life...

So he steals a car because he claimed he was in danger at his group home. He than speeds through 2 states and puts poeple in jeopardy and ultimately critically wounds a cop who was just doing his job. It is not a fair trade. It is another pathetic example of the system and my 24 years in this system has proven to me time and time again it is all about $$$$. Law and order is secondary. Time to put victims first and cleary the victim is Officer Osso.

I'm no fan of the plea bargain system from either end; it may save money, but I don't think it offers justice - to victims, as in this case, OR to innocent.people who find themselves accused in other cases.

With regard to the present case, if all else fails, hopefully the brothers and sisters in Corrections will do their bit, and make sure these aren't exactly the easiest seven years of this young punk's life...

Sad thing is the corrections officers can't really do any harm to him. The people that can are his fellow inmates, and they will praise him for injuring a cop.