Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ford Next-Generation Police Interceptors

16 posts in this topic

Ford is not only replacing the Crown Vic PI, but introducing two new "Police Interceptor" vehices, a sedan based on the Taurus platform, and looks like the other "PI Utility" is based on the new 2011 Ford Explorer platfurm.

Pretty cool website, can't wait to see them on the streets.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/?bannerid=1030414|56135222|232294451|39207669&referrer=N3016.277349.OFFICER

Front and All-Wheel Drive? Interesting, anybody think that might cause some departments to shy away, considering CVPI and Charger are both RWD? A Front Wheel Drive Explorer with no V8 option? Unusual to say the least.

They look sharp though, I'd like to try one.

I could see an awd PI used as a detective or unmarked vehicle.

There's no V8 for 2011 Explorers, but the new stock V6 only makes 10HP less than last year's V8 and the pursuit V6 make more torque and allegedly more usable torque over a nice flat curve (Haven't seen any dyno charts) than last years V8. Sounds like the new V6 will outrun the old V8s.

While on the topic, when are the new Chevy Caprice's coming out?

Really sharp looking cars. I dont think the new V6 will let people down. The new V6 pushes plenty of power. I can't wait to see them hit the streets. Does anyone know if orders have been put in yet?

Sharp squad cars. I could almost see the Sedan version on the streets of Port Chester in the near future, as most of their squad cars are that sedan type, although they use Chevrolets and not Fords.

Edited by sfrd18

Fair enough on the V6, and they are very sharp looking cars. Chevy Caprice also looks pretty nice, but I wanna see the Carbon Motors car on the street, that thing is MEAN.

For the Chevy Caprice PPV, orders may begin to be placed in January 2011. http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/?seo=goo_|_2010_Police_|_Fleet_Caprice_PPV_|_New_Launch_|_chevy_caprice#home

The new Ford seems interesting. As for the front wheel drive, only time will tell. The current Impalas are front wheel drive, and the ones in the city (NYPD) always seem to be making some type of noise or pull. Anything will be better than the Ford Fusion Hybrids they have been giving out lately(just way to small)

For the Chevy Caprice PPV, orders may begin to be placed in January 2011. http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/?seo=goo_|_2010_Police_|_Fleet_Caprice_PPV_|_New_Launch_|_chevy_caprice#home

The new Ford seems interesting. As for the front wheel drive, only time will tell. The current Impalas are front wheel drive, and the ones in the city (NYPD) always seem to be making some type of noise or pull. Anything will be better than the Ford Fusion Hybrids they have been giving out lately(just way to small)

The Chevys do not hold up well at all. The County had them, no more. The Ford's are much more durable.

I love the Ford over the Chevy any day of the week. If my PCT has the Vic available I am going with it. Chevy has had way too many problems. My unit took delivery of 3 new Impalas in April and all of them have been back to Chevy for work. Body can't take the beating and wear and tear it seems. Ford is a beast! Love how it drives and more room I think. I was impressed with the new Ford PI. I had the chance to take a look at one.

After looking at the Caprice, if Chevy can build a durable, reliable and quality car, then it may blow the doors off the Ford (and I am a devout Ford man).....RWD, V8, 355 HP and it may outrun the Ford V6 in the MSP tests. Time will tell and I hope Ford doesn't let me down. As for the front wheel drive design, any of the local departments that tried front wheel drive systems moved away from them quickly...they just didn't hold up to the heavy duty beating most cops put on the cars (justified or otherwise...lol) Also, curious to see how the MPG ratings go for all the vehicles.

After looking at the Caprice, if Chevy can build a durable, reliable and quality car, then it may blow the doors off the Ford (and I am a devout Ford man).....RWD, V8, 355 HP and it may outrun the Ford V6 in the MSP tests. Time will tell and I hope Ford doesn't let me down. As for the front wheel drive design, any of the local departments that tried front wheel drive systems moved away from them quickly...they just didn't hold up to the heavy duty beating most cops put on the cars (justified or otherwise...lol) Also, curious to see how the MPG ratings go for all the vehicles.

i agree ford really screwed themselves with introducing a FWD cop car and axing the vic. GM is actually making a really good move by having both FWD and RWD cop cars so they not only get the areas that have a use for FWD (like NYC) and warmer drier areas and can use RWD year round without having to worry about ice or snow

I saw a new Ford in Brooklyn this morning, looked nice, but kind of small.

The new Fords the NYPD has are not the P.I. they are the Focus, another brilliant idea to try out hybrids for patrol work. The car is not made for police work nor are the Nissan Altimas and the room in the inside and the shifter on the floor doesn't work for a police vehicle. Its one thing for school safety or traffic to use them its another for NYPD patrol work. The new PI haven't even been produced yet, only a few models for shows.

Edited by 25truck26