Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tanker 10eng

Rye Fire 11-7-10 Discussion

26 posts in this topic

ok, first of all, great pictures...

questions ? 1.) What was the source of the fire ?? 2.) The ladder, was it backed into the yard ? gutsy move, it it was me, I would of sunk... looks like it was the right spot for what they needed...

firedude likes this

I was also wondering about the placement of the ladder. Was it used from that position?

I do not know the cause at this time. Maybe some RFD members can help us out with that. As far as the ladder, it was used from that position to bring firefighters to the roof.

5155644688_850d80ff74_z.jpg

Edited by firedude

I was on scene and it was a quick knockdown. I do not know what the cause was. Good job by the Rye FD and TMFD.

ok, first of all, great pictures... 2.) The ladder, was it backed into the yard ? gutsy move, it it was me, I would of sunk... looks like it was the right spot for what they needed...

We leave the driveway open for the ladder. And its much easier to stretch hose when the back end of the engine is facing the structure. Let the engine pass the house.

Also, maybe one of the RFD guys can help out here... It looked like the water was not coming from a hydrant but from Long Island Sound, is this true? Also, I am not tring to bash RFD but why and what for, was U49 (not U39) used? I took one person to the scene, acording to the IA.

Edited by firedude

Also, maybe one of the RFD guys can help out here... It looked like the water was not coming from a hydrant but from Long Island Sound, is this true? Also, I am not tring to bash RFD but why and what for, was U39 used? I took one person to the scene, acording to the IA.

No, it is not true, they used a hydrant. It was U49 not U39. As far as why and what unfortunately I think you answered your own( bash away).

Fire Dude if you can post your 25th pic you can see a hydrant that was hidden or obscured by the all the bags off leaves on the front lawn. These are the homeowners leaves either he or his landscaper blocked the hydrant with all the bags and required engine 191 to lay several hundred feet of 5 inch rather then maybe 50 feet they would have needed if they had been able to see the hydrant.

We leave the driveway open for the ladder. And its much easier to stretch hose when the back end of the engine is facing the structure. Let the engine pass the house.

Being an engine guy, its hard to think of allowing the ladder the front row, but your right Barry, the driveway would of been ideal... My wondering was the ladder placement, between the front shrubs... looks like it fit well and was place right... I just take my hat off to the guy who gave the ok to do it... thinking outside the box... bigger balls then me.... hahaha

In general, can a front lawn be used to support the stabilizers with pads? I know tires will sink, been there, but what about stabilizers. I'm not a aerial operator, but generally we give the piece of road in front of the structure (not the driveway) to the ladder. However, I've been thinking that to get the stabilizers out, it would have to park too far to the middle of the road to let other apparatus by, or put stabilizers on the lawn.

Fire Dude if you can post your 25th pic you can see a hydrant that was hidden or obscured by the all the bags off leaves on the front lawn. These are the homeowners leaves either he or his landscaper blocked the hydrant with all the bags and required engine 191 to lay several hundred feet of 5 inch rather then maybe 50 feet they would have needed if they had been able to see the hydrant.

ok, now I see it.

5155028249_c4c5efe018_z.jpg

excellent pictures, thanks for sharing, nice to see some on scene shots again!

excellent pictures, thanks for sharing, nice to see some on scene shots again!

Thanks!

For others who have not seen the photos, click here,

Edited by firedude

I apologize if the IA posted stirred up any issues.

U49 is a "people mover," in addition to the other duties Graham mentioned. As you could see in some of the photos, other members of Rye FD report directly to the scene in their POVs.

Good job Rye.

While crosslays have many benifits I think one of the drawbacks is engine chauffeurs in many cases position engines to use the crosslays.

No no its not stirring up issues its good to see people asking about the way different departments operate and thats how Rye operates. All three of those apparatus were driven by paid drivers, where as all the chiefs are volunteer and U49 is a volunteer driven vehicle. Mostly every firefighter arrives on their own in their own POV. (Not to stir up paid vs. vol. but thats how we work and that might help why explain some of the things Rye does.)

And here we go again. "Paid Driver," are you for real, get a clue.

In general, can a front lawn be used to support the stabilizers with pads? I know tires will sink, been there, but what about stabilizers. I'm not a aerial operator, but generally we give the piece of road in front of the structure (not the driveway) to the ladder. However, I've been thinking that to get the stabilizers out, it would have to park too far to the middle of the road to let other apparatus by, or put stabilizers on the lawn.

The lawn generally is not a good place for the jacks, but it is not uncommon for a good truck driver to put it there. As long as you extend the ladder inline with the rig its not a big problem (i.e. over the cab or over the rear). Also good idea to have the number for a heavy wrecker available, as it is not uncommon to need one to get the ladder out.

Remember you can stretch hose, but not ladders.

16fire5 likes this

While crosslays have many benifits I think one of the drawbacks is engine chauffeurs in many cases position engines to use the crosslays.

Thats a major drawback and I have seen that happen in many communities. Usually blocking out the depts $900,000+ Tower Ladder (that they had to have).

Whats interesting to consider, the busiest depts in the region either do not have them or rarely use them.

They are too easy to position wrong and/or come up short on the stretch.

Who called a cab!

ok, now I see it.

5155028249_c4c5efe018_z.jpg

Great picture, would be nice to show people what NOT to do.... you never know, one day it could be your house...

Thanks for the answers, I have a clearer picture to my question... but what was the fire ???

And you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead !!!!!

turk182, on 08 November 2010 - 09:39 PM, said:

Who called a cab!

What, be an ambulance driver? How about the driver of the Fire SUV? ;D

The lawn generally is not a good place for the jacks, but it is not uncommon for a good truck driver to put it there. As long as you extend the ladder inline with the rig its not a big problem (i.e. over the cab or over the rear). Also good idea to have the number for a heavy wrecker available, as it is not uncommon to need one to get the ladder out.

You are right of course on all counts, this ground was not hard but not soggy either. The pad on the building side was pressed in to the turf a bit, (I know I dug it out). Also this area of the lawn was more level than the driveway. Driveway was narrow in spots too so your pads probably would have wound up on turf anyway. This is one of those cases where the pictures as good as they are do not do justice to the ladder placement at this fire. I am no expert, but you don't have to be to recognize how well this was done.

And you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead !!!!!

You'd better put the "Confuse-us" book away Brother.

Thats a major drawback and I have seen that happen in many communities. Usually blocking out the depts $900,000+ Tower Ladder (that they had to have).

Whats interesting to consider, the busiest depts in the region either do not have them or rarely use them.

They are too easy to position wrong and/or come up short on the stretch.

And also a very convenient way for minimally staffed departments to attack a fire. Even though we PREACH three sides for engine companies, the "matydale cross-lay" mentality is hard to break when the proverbial hits the fan.