Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Where are all the good discussions?

27 posts in this topic

You want to know what a real kick in the nutz is? We have almost 50 comments, and 4 pages of replies in a topic about an immature fire chief who hung truck nutz on his rig and defied his boss the mayor when told to remove them.

When we try to get a topic moving on this site about elevator rescue techniques, fire fighting tactics, scenarios, "what would you do" types of discussions, we get......YAWNS.

When we get a photo set of a new rig, some of us go on and on about the rig; where's the hurst-tool, where's the water cooler, we'll get the 50 comments and the 4 pages again.

I'm not sure why, but it seems sometimes the topics that should be getting the comments and the pages of discussion go by the wayside; and the ones that should get a few replies, and move on down the board into category obscurity, seem to go on forever.

What's up with that? I'm not saying conversation about the truck nutz should be over. What I'm saying is the next time one of our truly knowledgeable members comes up with an idea for a good discussion, maybe some of us should make a little more of an effort to participate and keep the really informative discussions going....

Maybe that will start happening?

In the meantime, back to the nutz. :blink:

PEMO3, sfrd18, waful and 3 others like this

...What I'm saying is the next time one of our truly knowledgeable members comes up with an idea for a good discussion, maybe some of us should make a little more of an effort to participate and keep the really informative discussions going....

It's interesting that you should make that observation!

EMTBravo staff are just beginning discussion of adding a new integrated blog feature to the forums.

There is nothing definitive yet, it's just entering the thought stages right now.

We will make an announcement come launch time. Stay tuned.

It's interesting that you should make that observation!

EMTBravo staff are just beginning discussion of adding a new integrated blog feature to the forums.

There is nothing definitive yet, it's just entering the thought stages right now.

We will make an announcement come launch time. Stay tuned.

Jack, can you explain what an "integrated blog" is?

I'm in the dark on this one.

Thanks.

In a "nut"shell, (groans) this is intended to be a section incorporated within the forums where members can publish articles in areas their expertise.

PS: I moved this discussion to create a new topic.

George, check your PM's for more information.....

George you make a great observation and point. If only half the effort was put into the more positive areas. ;)

x635 likes this

You want to know what a real kick in the nutz is? We have almost 50 comments, and 4 pages of replies in a topic about an immature fire chief who hung truck nutz on his rig and defied his boss the mayor when told to remove them.

When we try to get a topic moving on this site about elevator rescue techniques, fire fighting tactics, scenarios, "what would you do" types of discussions, we get......YAWNS.

When we get a photo set of a new rig, some of us go on and on about the rig; where's the hurst-tool, where's the water cooler, we'll get the 50 comments and the 4 pages again.

I'm not sure why, but it seems sometimes the topics that should be getting the comments and the pages of discussion go by the wayside; and the ones that should get a few replies, and move on down the board into category obscurity, seem to go on forever.

What's up with that? I'm not saying conversation about the truck nutz should be over. What I'm saying is the next time one of our truly knowledgeable members comes up with an idea for a good discussion, maybe some of us should make a little more of an effort to participate and keep the really informative discussions going....

George you make a great observation and point. If only half the effort was put into the more positive areas. ;)

Now wait a minute... lol I thought my CO post was good george... :blink: lmao

Now wait a minute... lol I thought my CO post was good george... :blink: lmao

..........YAWN.....................LMAO! :lol:

George ... You are right on the money my Brother. It appears that if you want to see a lot of comments on a topic, you need to stick to topics such as: apparatus colors, warning lights, sirens, parade results and apparatus photos. LOL

Edited by bad box

Know what, guys? We here are not all firefighters. There are plenty of ems and hospital care providers who try to post intelligent stuff here, and very often get picked apart by non ems and non hospital people. Then there are the cops among us who try to post and get jammed up by their own IAD. Only FF's seem exempt from most of the criticism that keeps the rest of us from posting.

velcroMedic1987 and efdcapt115 like this

Know what, guys? We here are not all firefighters. There are plenty of ems and hospital care providers who try to post intelligent stuff here, and very often get picked apart by non ems and non hospital people. Then there are the cops among us who try to post and get jammed up by their own IAD. Only FF's seem exempt from most of the criticism that keeps the rest of us from posting.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. My comment in this thread about the CO call in Ossining was meant purely as a joke. I personally don't interject much into EMS discussions, because that's not my area of knowledge. I was an EMT when I was on the job, but honestly I've forgotten a lot of that information. Retirement will do that to you.

But that was a very good thread. The notoriety that EMTCity (?) received because they were sued, led me to check out that site. The paramedic discussions over there were pretty amazing. I was quite impressed with the technical jargon in the few threads I delved in to.

There is room on this board for all the services to come together, and even though some of the discussions are separate, I don't see this forum as discouraging to any of the services.

The comment that criticism "keeps people from posting" I just don't buy. Let's be real here; this is the internet, not the real world. If criticisms are offered up, I'd hope they'd be constructive at least! But if a member here is discouraged from offering opinion due to criticism, it's time to thicken up the skin, no? Determination in posting, leads one to overcome any discouragements. If members see that you're going to post, no matter what, I think a certain respect grows from that.

A couple of times I've put my foot in my mouth really pretty badly. In each case, I sought out the offended member, and offered a sincere apology. In every case it was accepted, and the experience led me to think a bit more before I post. When my errors were pointed out, it was pretty clear to me how badly I had screwed up. But I've learned that there are some very compassionate people on this board; willing to forgive and forget. I've learned so much from people like that, and really appreciate the fact that they didn't hold my sins against me.

I'd only offer this; don't be discouraged if you want to participate, nobody can stop you.

Stay well.

Have a safe Holiday Season everbody.

Merry Christmas Capt.Glover, all the best to you and your family.

Eddie Shoureck

You want to get people talking. Bring up emergency lights and who should have what color. Matches the crowd at the most popular booths at trade shows....the one with emergency lights in all their glory. No wonder people are called wackers.

You want to get people talking. Bring up emergency lights and who should have what color. Matches the crowd at the most popular booths at trade shows....the one with emergency lights in all their glory. No wonder people are called wackers.

If lights don't get people talking, there is always the volunteer/paid discussion. laugh.gif That always seems to get people posting. I personally hate the drama so please, no one start a volunteer/paid thread for at least a few more years.

DISCLAIMER: This was meant as slight humor. I have no issue with paid or volunteer Firefighters or EMT's, men or woman!

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Efdcapt115... excellent post, though you seem to think I am referring to myself as one too discouraged to post, thin skinned, etc. Not at all the case. I was speaking on behalf of a few cop, nurse and emt friends with whom I have shared this site and got an earful about the feedback. I personally like the site and most of the discussions and when things happen on my own job, I'm happy to post it so people learn from the event.

Ok then. My 2 cents are here: enough about the truck nuts. It's stupid and juvenile and a direct reflection of the eunuch who instead wears them on his vehicle. Lame.

Happy healthy holidays, everyone!

If lights don't get people talking, there is always the volunteer/paid discussion. laugh.gif That always seems to get people posting. I personally hate the drama so please, no one start a volunteer/paid thread for at least a few more years.

DISCLAIMER: This was meant as slight humor. I have no issue with paid or volunteer Firefighters or EMT's, men or woman!

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Speaking of the holidays; PFDRes47cue, is your avatar a photo of a garage fire, or is that the glow coming out of the manger in Bethlehem? :D

Edited by efdcapt115

.......and a direct reflection of the eunuch who instead wears them on his vehicle. Lame.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I gotta agree with you on this one Cap. After reading the first few posts on this issue I was done. 50 replies & over 4 pages! If it was an actual conversation between people many, I'm sure, wouldn't have wasted their breath on the stupid SOB other than he's not fit to man the knob much less command. It sounded like old women gossiping over the fence after hanging out the wash. I look over the posts daily & there are not many real interesting or professional topics. Hope this changes.

x635 likes this

Speaking of the holidays; PFDRes47cue, is your avatar a photo of a garage fire, or is that the glow coming out of the manger in Bethlehem? :D

Efdcapt115, that is the glow from the manger laugh.gif (garage fire in all seriousness.)

I look over the posts daily & there are not many real interesting or professional topics. Hope this changes.

This is a subjective observation. The forum operates 24/7/365, with thousands of topics being posted and discussed yearly. A lot of these topics are to pass along information about different things, and others are posted for a multitude of other reasons, including discussion-whether intended or not. Some topics interest some, others don't. However, if you look through all the topics, there are some great posts to be found. The way a member uses to read through the new topics or postings since their last visit can sometimes also be to blame, I have noticed.

We do reconize that we have some very talented and knowledgable members on this forum, and are currently working on a program to improve and promote more informative and educational topics from some very rich minds. We hope to release more information on this soon.

Seth

This is a subjective observation. The forum operates 24/7/365, with thousands of topics being posted and discussed yearly. A lot of these topics are to pass along information about different things, and others are posted for a multitude of other reasons, including discussion-whether intended or not. Some topics interest some, others don't. However, if you look through all the topics, there are some great posts to be found. The way a member uses to read through the new topics or postings since their last visit can sometimes also be to blame, I have noticed.

We do reconize that we have some very talented and knowledgable members on this forum, and are currently working on a program to improve and promote more informative and educational topics from some very rich minds. We hope to release more information on this soon.

Seth

I understand & you are correct. There are topics that are certainly interesting to others (FD, PD) I primarily look for EMS issues myself, although I do read & have commented on others. There just seems to be a lot of "fluff" without much substance at times. Not to cast discredit on you or any of your staff. After 7 years and the recent fiscal issue you have proved your popularity & staying power. Providing a forum for open discussion & allowing a certain amt of venting is needed & good for everyone. Your hands off style (except when needed as in the post I emailed you about & was taken off probably before you even got to my message) means most of the site is driven by us, so any posted topics, discussion or the lack thereof falls on us. when I first joined not to long ago there was a discussion going on about the lack of incident reporting on the western side of the Hudson. As was said, if none of us report it, it's not posted. As for myself I will try to be more active in a positive way.

x635 likes this

As for myself I will try to be more active in a positive way.

And that's very much appreciated. We're a community here, so the more we all contribute, the better the site is. Not just you, but the entire membership is what powers this site.

If Seth and the boy's will give me my spoon back to stir the pot maybe we can provoke some positive discussions again. ( Just joking Seth don't ban me :rolleyes: )

If Seth and the boy's will give me my spoon back to stir the pot maybe we can provoke some positive discussions again. ( Just joking Seth don't ban me :rolleyes: )

I don't think I have a spoon big enough for this pot, lol.

I potted a few months ago about alcohol policies that various agencies had. It was promptly removed by an admin. I did receive a PM from him saying it was nit censure just something they dd not feel was a right topic at the time for emtbravo.

It is hard for me to see how it is niot a good discussion topic. But that is why I rarely chime in

.......it was nit censure just something they dd not feel................

It is hard for me to see how it is niot a good discussion topic. But that is why I rarely chime in

Maybe it was your spelling like Barry's........ :P