Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demps121

The most Stressful Job in America 2010

17 posts in this topic

Capt I just read someplace the the most stressfull job was working for you?? any truth to that??:)

Capt I just read someplace the the most stressfull job was working for you?? any truth to that??:)

I guess it could be true if you don't do what is expected.

I guess it could be true if you don't do what is expected.

I would say working with your driver is the Most Stressful Job in America. :rolleyes: Therefore you Cap, have the MSJIA....

Edit: Update from officer involved..... FORMER DRIVER.. therefore you do not have the MSJIA any longer Captain Demps...

Edited by efdcapt115

Bollocks to that. The most stressful job in America is 'parent'; I'd easily take a structure fire over my three kids having a bad day! biggrin.gif

Going through the list it gets a little confusing. Police office is ranked 5, highway patrol officer is ranked 7 :blink:. Isn't a highway patrol officer a police officer?

Going through the list it gets a little confusing. Police office is ranked 5, highway patrol officer is ranked 7 :blink:. Isn't a highway patrol officer a police officer?

Man I would put Highway Patrol at number one, but what do I know....only some friends who did it...rolling up solo on some of these atrocious scenes put the gray hairs on their heads....

What about an under appreciated, under paid and compensated, paramedic that needs to work 3 jobs to survive?

PEMO3 and ems-buff like this

What about an under appreciated, under paid and compensated, paramedic that needs to work 3 jobs to survive?

Time to consider a new profession if you're that under everything.

Bollocks to that. The most stressful job in America is 'parent'; I'd easily take a structure fire over my three kids having a bad day!

Its not the fire thats so stressful, its dealing with personnel, managment, politicians, pension issues, give backs, etc.

Unfortunately, being overworked, under-appreciated, and poorly compensated is not unique to EMS, rather it is the mainstay of many careers and blue collar jobs. (We need to all be thankful we're employed at all.) If that was the criteria for being "Most Stressful", you'd have about a hundred occupations tied for #1.

And coming in at # 4 this year is EMTBravo forum moderator....

:lol:

Took the words right out of my mouth.. lol

Its not the fire thats so stressful, its dealing with personnel, managment, politicians, pension issues, give backs, etc.

My boss reminds me almost daily that if it wasn't for the people this job would be easy! :D I don't know that I'd say my job was nearly as stressful as some others I know, but without a doubt some of the benefits of this job are also stressors. Most of us love coming to work knowing that we have no idea what the day will bring to a degree (as opposed to office/factory work, but on the other hand, the sudden wake-up to high stress response and highly physically demanding work under uncontrolled conditions certainly doesn't help. Add to this worried families, working holidays, missing birthdays and special events and suddenly you wonder why we do it. But, then once the bells ring, you remember why...

efdcapt115 likes this

You can probably add 911/Public Safety Dispatcher to the list of most stressful jobs too...

Edited by emt301

You can probably add 911/Public Safety Dispatcher to the list of most stressful jobs too...

Not if you have a 614 backing you up. Does he still work there.....

I would have to agree. Sure it is stressful responding to calls but remember us FD/PD/EMS folks show up then help once the call is received then mitigate the problem. Dispatchers have to deal with all of the stress of the caller while trying to mitigate the problem at a desk 20 miles away. I know how long it feels for me to get to the scene, I can only imagine what it is like as a dispatcher doing EMD waiting for us to get on scene.

efdcapt115 likes this