Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Greenburgh to form another consolidation commission

27 posts in this topic

I have to agree that SOME services it would only make sense to consolidate. Things like consolidating communications for PD,FD, and EMS into a single PSAP. This would free up officers on "the desk", as well as free up a firefighter in Hartsdale and a firefighter in Fairview.

And, based on my experiences, I totally agree with the public being more educated about Fire Commisioners and Budget votes. The turnout at these votes are really low. The public may be ignorant, but that shouldn't be. They are the ones paying the taxes and funding these departments. Rarely do you see budget or commisioner elections advertised, except a tiny little law-required legal notice buried in the classifieds. And, the question I've always thought, is who is going to replace these commisioners when the time comes?

Also, cooperative equipment buying and equipment maintainence can save money...especially if the use the Town's very well equipped garage.

Consolidation of these departments may not work, but I do see some elements that will, and I've been saying these same things I just wrote for years.

Greenburgh to form another consolidation commission

By Stacy A. Anderson • January 11, 2011

GREENBURGH — As most municipalities continue efforts to reorganize to cut spending, Greenburgh will create another citizens commission to study consolidation and shared services.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110111/NEWS02/101110324/Greenburgh-to-form-another-consolidation-commission

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars and man hours have spent by Greenburgh "looking into" this? It seems like they are just doing this to line peoples pockets. They never seem to make any changes, just spend money and time.

Hey heres a novel idea!! look into consolidiating the School districts in Greenburgh--ohh wait that aint going to happen either. i can see the bus now headed down Central Ave to Edgemont H.S. I dont think so.

Another approach-- stop spending money for fire protection to unincorported Greenburgh. If Greenburgh police protect it, Greenburgh fire should protect it. hmm lets see how fast the towns and villages are willing to give up that money.

Although I do agree on some aspects, there might be room for central dispatching-- put the firefighter where he can do the most good and thats on the aparatus, responding to emergency calls.

The right thing is to make sure that the proper number of firefighters and Officers are responding and that they are responding safely, and that they have training to do the job correctly, and get home to their loved ones.

x635 likes this

Forming another commission, guess they were not happy with the results of the last fist fight.

JM15 likes this

I guess if you ask the same question often enough odds are you'll eventually get the answer you want...

Seth is right on the money about this. A central PSAP is a great idea, but fire/EMS (other than GPD*EMS) should be done by 60. Using the town garage is a good idea also. No layoffs, just attrition.

Things like consolidating communications for PD,FD, and EMS into a single PSAP. This would free up officers on "the desk", as well as free up a firefighter in Hartsdale and a firefighter in Fairview.

Really? The 3 Chiefs, 3 Assistant Chiefs, 3 Assistant to the Assistant Chiefs, 6 Deputy Chiefs, 12 Assistant Deputy Chiefs ect ect are probably a bigger waste of resources than the 2 firemen answering the phone. Just sayin...

Really? The 3 Chiefs, 3 Assistant Chiefs, 3 Assistant to the Assistant Chiefs, 6 Deputy Chiefs, 12 Assistant Deputy Chiefs ect ect are probably a bigger waste of resources than the 2 firemen answering the phone. Just sayin...

Get your facts straight the officer lineup is nothing like your post. The self dispatch saves time.

i feel compelled to just mention the fact that vital services life saving services and quality of life services are just being attacked by individuals who are just trying to justify their existence. a study is comprised in an effort to try and mark up the good record these services have demonstrated over the years. it seems quite evident these people are trying to save their job at the risk of taxpayers by telling the towns , villages and citys how to save money. it is a shame and a pity that to justify ones job one has to potentially threaten the safety and lives of others. can costs be effectively cut across the board...? yes of course. towns like greenburgh n.y. should and must consolidate in areas but not at the risk of safety.

Edited by dillondotcom

Hey, welcome to the boards there guy. Don't be shy with your opinions, be sure and jump right in there.......... :blink: If you're interested, there's also an "Introduction" thread....

We do know he was kidding right?? there are way more then twelve assistants to the assistants:) keep having studies maybe one day they will understand the fire service.

We do know he was kidding right?? there are way more then twelve assistants to the assistants:) keep having studies maybe one day they will understand the fire service.

Oh he was kiddin'? I should have picked up on the A2A title....it really is Marx Brothers.....I like it.

Almost as good as Stamford's thread !!!!!!!!!!

But, isn't Stamford just the opposite? Didn't the "big 5" towns in Stamford consolidate?

But, isn't Stamford just the opposite? Didn't the "big 5" towns in Stamford consolidate?

I guess you dont read the biggest thread on EMTBravo.

No they have not

PCFD ENG58 likes this

Hey heres a novel idea!! look into consolidiating the School districts in Greenburgh--ohh wait that aint going to happen either. i can see the bus now headed down Central Ave to Edgemont H.S. I dont think so.

Another approach-- stop spending money for fire protection to unincorported Greenburgh. If Greenburgh police protect it, Greenburgh fire should protect it. hmm lets see how fast the towns and villages are willing to give up that money.

Although I do agree on some aspects, there might be room for central dispatching-- put the firefighter where he can do the most good and thats on the aparatus, responding to emergency calls.

The right thing is to make sure that the proper number of firefighters and Officers are responding and that they are responding safely, and that they have training to do the job correctly, and get home to their loved ones.

Agreed, firefighters are needed on the rigs, and I think the town can request a Fire District to cover unincorporated Fire Prot Districts. Not having NFPA Codes accessable, they may not be able to reduce in house dispatchers from 2 to 1. If a dispatching point has more than a certain number of alarms, they need 2 dispatcherss (I don't have the number and they don't have to be FF's). Bnechis will have the answer by Tuesday am.

Not having NFPA Codes accessable, they may not be able to reduce in house dispatchers from 2 to 1. If a dispatching point has more than a certain number of alarms, they need 2 dispatcherss (I don't have the number and they don't have to be FF's). Bnechis will have the answer by Tuesday am.

Tuesday am. Bill, are you losing faith in me?

NFPA 1221 (and ISO uses NFPA 1221 for this)covers this and while in previous versions they looked at call volume &/or population the current version is performance based and looks at how long it takes to process a call. I believe the volume could easily be handled by 1 dispatcher.

Tuesday am. Bill, are you losing faith in me?

NFPA 1221 (and ISO uses NFPA 1221 for this)covers this and while in previous versions they looked at call volume &/or population the current version is performance based and looks at how long it takes to process a call. I believe the volume could easily be handled by 1 dispatcher.

Time to process, eh?

Have you ever watched a FF type?

Have you ever watched a FF type?

Its like watching monkeys use tools for the first time :lol:

calhobs likes this

Its like watching monkeys use tools for the first time :lol:

Not if you tie their pay to the number of words per minute......lol

Get your facts straight the officer lineup is nothing like your post. The self dispatch saves time.

Sarcasm: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual.

My understanding is 97% of the 911 calls in the Town go to PD, that has to transfer the call to FD. How much time is getting saved in "self dispatching".

Hubris: [hyoo-bris, hoo-]

–noun

excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

Sarcasm: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual.

My understanding is 97% of the 911 calls in the Town go to PD, that has to transfer the call to FD. How much time is getting saved in "self dispatching".

The vast majority of FIRE calls come via 7 digit emergency number. You have no idea how it works.

Hubris: [hyoo-bris, hoo-]

–noun

excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

Is this part of the "New Member Guidance" that is offered by you in the welcome letter to EMTBravo?

Is this part of the "New Member Guidance" that is offered by you in the welcome letter to EMTBravo?

I am not affiliated with the site management, only a member. I do not offer any new member guidance officially. My advice for you to introduce yourself in a previous post was; "sarcasm" which you have already defined and demonstrated. It's not too late to introduce yourself, but it might get in the way of your agenda.

I am not affiliated with the site management, only a member. I do not offer any new member guidance officially. My advice for you to introduce yourself in a previous post was; "sarcasm" which you have already defined and demonstrated. It's not too late to introduce yourself, but it might get in the way of your agenda.

Well, I for one feel officialy guided. I'll go introduce myself Captain (only in the proper forum of course, we wouldn't want to offend anyone).

Well, I for one feel officialy guided. I'll go introduce myself Captain (only in the proper forum of course, we wouldn't want to offend anyone).

Okay, but we also have the "no-pushing" rule now. No matter what forum you are in you cannot physically shove anybody......define: humor.