Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Code 3 Releases New 1/64th Scale FDNY Engine 63 Seagrave Marauder II Replica

8 posts in this topic

It's a all new mold, but personally, from the photo, it doesn't look very nice. I don't know if it's the photgraphy of the model, but it makes Engine 63 look cheap and gawdy when it is really nicely detailed and customized. It looks like Code 3 has slashed their quality by going with a cheaper manufacturing process while raising prices. I wouldn't mind paying for the model if it was well detailed, if I could afford it. I'd rather save for a TWH release.

FDNY Engine 63

http://www.code3.net/product/detail.asp?item=13063

Actual Engine 63 (FDNYTrucks.com)

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/bronx/e63.htm

I dont know...I like it. It seems pretty acurate to me. Who would have thought there would be a day when Code 3 was making a 63 Engine model!

x635 likes this

Finally, Code 3 has started making new molds, but personally, I agree with Seth. I've sort of noticed that myself, as I personally have a large collection. For instance, I just got their model of the SFFD's Truck 4's open-cab ALF, and I noticed that between some of their older models, the newer ones seem to be a little less detailed and accurate, as well seemingly thrown together. I also noticed that some of the details on the rigs weren't as realistic or meticulously done, to where some Corgi rigs look more accurate. I don't know, maybe they got hit hard in the recession and they're trying to cut cost, but to me, some of the newer models aren't the same as those in the past.

x635 likes this

Its all "About The Money"! As costs rise, quality goes down. Look at when you go out today and purchase a 16" Pizza from your favorite Pizzeria. The size has come down (probably more like between 14" and 15" now, less cheese and less sauce, than in the old days. Why? Because "Is All About The Money"

Im sure I have one of the biggest collection of Code 3 around the area. I agee that Code 3 has been going down hill. I give Code 3 credit for say in the last year that the models have improved, But they are not what they were 3 years ago. When in the world are they gonna make a Tower ladder in the Diamond plate series??.

Overall the new Code 3 Marauder II model of FDNY Engine 63 is about 95% accurate. There are a few minor mistakes but overall Code 3 did an excellent job with this new mold. I cannot say the same for the American LaFrance TDA of the 1968 closed cab or the 1960 open cab version. It's a shame as this could have been one of the best releases Code 3 would have done to date. I don't think you will see a Diamond Plate release from Code 3. Over the next two years they will be concentrating on the 1/64 scale models.

Based on the photos, a collector could remove the "63" from the front, thin out some black paint and doing a "wash 'n wipe" of the grille, then replace the "63." IMO, that would improve the appearance of this model 1000%.