Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Roofs collapsing under the weight of snow

18 posts in this topic

I've been seeing multiple reports of roof collapses all over the country due to the weight of the incredible snow accumulations. This one in particular had multiple fatalities. Anybody have a roof collapse in your district due to the weight of the snow? Are any depts being proactive, maybe working with their building depts., and checking for potential problems?

http://hartford.cbslocal.com/2011/02/03/85000-chickens-killed-in-collapse-of-bozrah-coop/

Seems roof rakes/shovels are hard to find. My local hardware store got in 8 of them them have had on order for 3 weeks, and they were all spoken for. Lowes and Home Depot are in the same situation. None availible for sale. I really cant fault someone for not clearing their roof when the tools are all out of stock. That being said, I shoveled the roof over my porch yesterday as a precaution with a plastic shovel.

Anyone know what the NYS building codes says for snow load?

Home Depot had a shipment yesterday of roof rakes.I just happened upon them when they were putting them out.I think they sold out in 20 min. .Maybe that eye in the sky for the county could give a heads up on some massive roofs that might need some attention.

efdcapt115 likes this

Home Depot had a shipment yesterday of roof rakes.I just happened upon them when they were putting them out.I think they sold out in 20 min. .Maybe that eye in the sky for the county could give a heads up on some massive roofs that might need some attention.

Great idea. Chris, got any extra minutes up there these days, or are you all iced up to? You could cover a lot of ground.....

I called the Mt. Pleasant Home Depot only to get a full laugh from the rep, and to be told there's not a HD in the Hudson Valley with a snow rake in stock. Luckily I had a generous neighbor before the last storm, and I just grabbed one off of ebay for myself.

The emergency management agency in MA has logged over 70 collapses in the past month due to snow. Mostly commercial flat roofs, some residential. Georgetown Elementary School had a collapse yesterday. Two large shopping areas closed while they went under inspection (Wrentham Outlets & Natick Collection).

One collapse here of a unoccupied storage garage with a flat roof. Several others on the brink before emergency action was taken by the homeowners, some due to simply the ice that is clinging to the side of porches and whatnot.

Anyone know what the NYS building codes says for snow load?

There is a chart that sets up different zones statewide. The construction required is based on that chart. Note the code was 1st issued in 1984 so buildings built before that are exempt.

efdcapt115 and islander like this

We look at rooftops all day long but without a reference to know which ones are potentially at risk we'd be at a loss to identify the problem ones. Sure, if one looks like it has an ice dam and a mountain of snow/ice on it we can call that out but other than that.... A roof is a roof is a roof.

here are a few shots from our call on February 2, 2011, no injuries, thankfully, one of our life members and past Chief residence.

post-16297-0-04382200-1296945644.jpg

post-16297-0-58360600-1296945656.jpg

post-16297-0-24356400-1296945670.jpg

post-16297-0-59283300-1296945680.jpg

post-16297-0-34298100-1296945693.jpg

efdcapt115 likes this

One more time. Repeat after me:

BEWARE THE TRUSS

Brannigan

We had a gas station awning partially collapse in Nanuet while I was working the other night. The gas station owner didn't even think of notifying the police department. A person passing by decided to dial 9-1-1 and thankfully reported it. Nanuet FD responded and the Clarkstown Building Department was called out as well. I don't have the photos on my laptop to post, but if you click on the link below, my photos are toward the end of the 18 photos with the article.

http://nanuet.patch.com/articles/section-of-nanuet-gas-stations-snow-covered-awning-collapses