Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Kudos To Thornwood FD

19 posts in this topic

I recently read that Thornwood FD basically donated their former Engine 290, which was replaced a few months ago by a new Sutphen engine, to a department in Maine.

Not only did they donate the engine, but they stuffed it full of surplus equipment.

I know there are some other Westchester fire companies that have done the same (such as Millwood and Harrison, off the top of my head). Given how most Westchester departments have plenty of funds for new apparatus, it's nice to see some donate their surplus apparatus to the many departments in need in THIS country. And, also not letting their old equipment pile up in a storage room and collect dust.

FF398, efdcapt115 and BFD1054 like this

I recently read that Thornwood FD basically donated their former Engine 290, which was replaced a few months ago by a new Sutphen engine, to a department in Maine.

Not only did they donate the engine, but they stuffed it full of surplus equipment.

I know there are some other Westchester fire companies that have done the same. Given how most Westchester departments have plenty of funds for new apparatus, it's nice to see some donate their surplus apparatus to the many departments in need in THIS country. And, also not letting their old equipment pile up in a storage room and collect dust.

Definitely Kudos to them, however, I do have this to say, there are mechanisms that exist in this country to get people the fire protection equipment that they need. There are various local, state and federal methods to secure funding for equipment. The methods are totally absent from most developing nations. While yes it is important to support and help those at home I ask a simple question, ignoring location, which community needs a fire equipment more? A department that serves 1,000 people over 10 square miles with a 30 year old rig and some bunker gear, or a department that serves 100,000 over the same area without a rig or any bunker gear? It my just be may involvement with charities such as FDNY BC Sheridans Mutual Aid Americas but IMHO the community that is even more severely lacking in fire protection should receive the equipment, regardless of whether or not it is overseas.

I suppose that is the problem that much of the world has with us however, they think that we only we think of our selves before others.

I am not saying that all rigs retired should go overseas, I am saying however that the greatest good for the greatest number of people should be considered.

Edited by bvfdjc316
Graham26 likes this

I know there are some other Westchester fire companies that have done the same. Given how most Westchester departments have plenty of funds for new apparatus, it's nice to see some donate their surplus apparatus to the many departments in need in THIS country. And, also not letting their old equipment pile up in a storage room and collect dust.

That is awesome. I LOVE to hear that.

Millwood (the "other" Wood) did the same with the Kenworth E-248 in 2004. It's serving in Witts Springs, AK. It served us well for 22 years and when the folks arrived to pick it up we threw them a party. They were so happy. Not a dry eye in the house. Many other local departments donated equipment including a power unit and hydraulic tools. I believe CVAC donated their Crown Vic fly car as well. Slick Willy hosted them at his place on the other side of town for a while as well.

x635 likes this

Definitely Kudos to them, however, I do have this to say, there are mechanisms that exist in this country to get people the fire protection equipment that they need. There are various local, state and federal methods to secure funding for equipment. The methods are totally absent from most developing nations. While yes it is important to support and help those at home I ask a simple question, ignoring location, which community needs a fire equipment more? A department that serves 1,000 people over 10 square miles with a 30 year old rig and some bunker gear, or a department that serves 100,000 over the same area without a rig or any bunker gear? It my just be may involvement with charities such as FDNY BC Sheridans Mutual Aid Americas but IMHO the community that is even more severely lacking in fire protection should receive the equipment, regardless of whether or not it is overseas.

I suppose that is the problem that much of the world has with us however, we think of ourselves before others.

Your point of view is honorable with regard to the fire truck. I disagree with it however as do I object to your notion that we think of our selves more than others. The taxpayers of this nation (and lets face it the 80/20 rule applies to those I'm referring to as taxpayers) have funded the rest of the world's problems for years. We need to be taking a better look at what is going on right here at home as we have done more than our part across the globe. In 2008 (the most recent data a could quickly come up with) the USA gave $49,057,000,000 in foreign aid to the rest of the world... Forty-nine billion.... That's $158.24 for each individual populating the USA (let alone citizens... or people who actually pay taxes for that matter.)

I'm not advocating never giving a dime overseas again, but rather that we take a better look at where our money can be put to use right here at home. If that rig was needed in the USA then here it should stay.

Edited by mfc2257

My district has been trying to sell 2 older trucks for over 8 months now. We have had several bites from collectors, but our most serious offer from a company that sends the trucks out of the country to FD's overseas. Not one dept from ANYWHERE in the USA has asked about the trucks. We arent asking for crazy $ for them by any means. If we get an reasonable offer on the trucks from the exporter, we are going to take it. Atleast we know that the trucks will live on, and not get cut up for scrap.

It just seems that no one here in the USA wants older than 1990 open jumpseat cabbed trucks anymore, no matter how much life is left in them.

That is fantastic news but I have mixed emotions about it. Some of you may remember I had put up the request for donations for a volunteer department in Maine also in dire need of equipment; Whitefield Fire Rescue, lead by retired city of Portland Battalion Chief Tim Pellerin. This was around the time Seth first started the Classifieds. It got posted in there, and reposted in there. Chief Henry Campbell was very gracious to put out a NY State wide e-mail through the New York State Fire Chiefs Association asking on behalf of Whitefield.

I just spoke with Chief Pellerin and found out it was not Whitefield that was the beneficiary of this fantastic donation.

It's lucky for the department that received it; yet I certainly wish somebody from Thornwood would have seen our request here before they went to the other department.

However Chief Pellerin stated he still was hopeful that some of the members here who had responded positively to his request, and made contact with him, would still follow through.

Again, it's a great action that Thornwood took, yet I wish the department I was advocating for would have gotten first dibs on the rig. Oh well, can't win 'em all. :)

Your point of view is honorable with regard to the fire truck. I disagree with it however as do I object to your notion that we think of our selves more than others. The taxpayers of this nation (and lets face it the 80/20 rule applies to those I'm referring to as taxpayers) have funded the rest of the world's problems for years. We need to be taking a better look at what is going on right here at home as we have done more than our part across the globe. In 2008 (the most recent data a could quickly come up with) the USA gave $49,057,000,000 in foreign aid to the rest of the world... Forty-nine billion.... That's $158.24 for each individual populating the USA (let alone citizens... or people who actually pay taxes for that matter.)

I'm not advocating never giving a dime overseas again, but rather that we take a better look at where our money can be put to use right here at home. If that rig was needed in the USA then here it should stay.

I never said that I believed that, I said that is what a lot of the world seems believes. It is merely what I have heard asked of me when I have gone over seas to developing nations. Its not as if they expect our charity, it is just they question our spending habits when so many people in that country are living in such squalor and could be so easily have their situation improved by effective increases in foreign aid.

I am not advocating doing one thing or another regarding Federal foreign aid, I am merely indicating that I think that donations like these should consider the greatest good for the greatest number of people. I am sorry if my wording was confusing, I didn't not mean to imply I believed it, just that it was a belief that I had heard.

Edited by bvfdjc316

The broker was Red Truck Sales International, K & T Fire Equipment, led by TFD Commsisioner Brian C. Dwyer and Chief Dave Dwyer.

The Department was Masaridis FD, Maine.

As far as "Homeland Security", what about our own homeland? There are plenty of departments still suffering from the effects of Hurricane Katrina and Rita. Especially now since building code requires buildings in these flood prone areas be at least three stories. Most of these departments don't even have a aerial anywhere nearby.

And, in places like Lousianna, fire departments are not required, so you have no fire protection in some very rural places. You have members of the community who do they best they can to provide fire protection with what they have. Some don't even have enough turnout gear or SCBA's. Some departments first due apparatus is from the 1960's. It's really shocking that these conditions exist in the USA.

There are departments across the nation that are in need. Of course, we have a duty to help less fortunate countries, but our first duty should be to protect our own country.

PEMO3 and helicopper like this

That is great! Kudos to TFD!!!

I know there are some other Westchester fire companies that have done the same (such as Millwood and Harrison, off the top of my head). Given how most Westchester departments have plenty of funds for new apparatus, it's nice to see some donate their surplus apparatus to the many departments in need in THIS country. And, also not letting their old equipment pile up in a storage room and collect dust.

I sure hope Westchester taxpayers don't read this. I can see the headline now, "Fully equipped fire engine loaded with extra gear donated to Maine FD".

If the FD's have plenty of funds for all this new equipment and apparatus, maybe they should lower their taxes.

I'll be the first to say front-line apparatus needs to be current and well equipped but if there's so much surplus equipment lying around that can just be given away something is wrong and the department needs tighter management.

I suppose that is the problem that much of the world has with us however, we think of our selves before others.

I am not saying that all rigs retired should go overseas, I am saying however that the greatest good for the greatest number of people should be considered.

What methods are you referring to? Taxes? Grants? Not every community can afford half a million dollars for an engine and not every community qualifies for a grant so you're just wrong.

It is true that some developing nations are worse off but if they're as undeveloped as you say what exactly do they need the apparatus to protect?

First we have to defend and support ourselves and then we can consider helping other countries. We have way too many people in need to be exporting our resources.

I sure hope Westchester taxpayers don't read this. I can see the headline now, "Fully equipped fire engine loaded with extra gear donated to Maine FD".

If the FD's have plenty of funds for all this new equipment and apparatus, maybe they should lower their taxes.

I'll be the first to say front-line apparatus needs to be current and well equipped but if there's so much surplus equipment lying around that can just be given away something is wrong and the department needs tighter management.

The rig was PURCHASED through a broker. And just because NFPA says you have to throw away turnout gear after ten years, and hopefully Thornwood abides by it, I know that the poor rural areas in upstate Maine do not. Because they don't enough gear to make that distinction. You think they can't/won't use an 11 year old set of gear for a tanker driver/pump operator in -30 degree weather? They will because of the necessity.

Maybe antiquefirelt, the chief from Rockland, ME can explain a bit further, but to my understanding there is no public funding of volunteer fire depts in the State of Maine.

Edited by efdcapt115

The fire service in central and northern Westchester is redundant and there are way to many pieces of apparatus duplicated within mere miles of each other. HOWEVER if a department is a good steward of the taxpayers money and maintains a rig for 20+ years and it is up for replacement, you're still not going to get that much money for it. By the time you place it with a broker, sell it, and pay their commission there is very little left over. The rig in question is 20+ years old, with an open jump seat, and plenty of other attributes that don't fit what a Westchester community or regulatory agencies in 2011 are comfortable continuing to use to provide fire protection. This being said, there are places in our country (Appalachia, Ozarks, parts of Louisiana, Upstate NY, etc etc etc) where little communities that are living with such meager resources that those from within 100 miles of most metropolitan area cannot even begin to comprehend. Who are we kidding about needing tighter management when our local governments will squander millions on pork projects that will reap no long term benefit. We'll fund every special interest group in town, but when a bunch of folks who are our brother citizens are desperate for something that will merely pump enough water to save what little they have we should be tightening our management. That rig might have fetched $30k at best. Local Westchester politicians spend more than that on dinners and other nonsense to stroke their own egos about how much they've done for the community. As for it being so loaded with equipment, there are plenty of departments who upgrade their equipment and the items they are replacing may be broken or incomplete but a good mechanic in a little town somewhere might be able to do something productive with it. Changing from 3in supply to 5in... well just throw the old stuff away right? Broken hydraulic unit just toss the tools when the new system is purchased....

These people do more with our crumbs than we can with a feast! And they are our fellow countrymen.

Thornwood and its taxpayers did a good thing here.

I stand corrected:

Not sure where you read or hear your info down in Texas, but your WRONG, Thornwood Sold that Engine for $6,0000 ! Get your info right and remove that topic . Mike Essig

That is awesome. I LOVE to hear that.

I believe CVAC donated their Crown Vic fly car as well. Slick Willy hosted them at his place on the other side of town for a while as well.

i will double check this for u...i know the car came from the town was used as a former town of cortlandt police car. yes thats going back a while maybe late 90's. and will check i know buchanan FD had it for a little while dont know if they bought it for a dollar or what not.

i will double check this for u...i know the car came from the town was used as a former town of cortlandt police car. yes thats going back a while maybe late 90's. and will check i know buchanan FD had it for a little while dont know if they bought it for a dollar or what not.

Different CVAC.

Sorry... I meant Chappaqua VAC.

Maybe antiquefirelt, the chief from Rockland, ME can explain a bit further, but to my understanding there is no public funding of volunteer fire depts in the State of Maine.

Chief? Not me, I can't afford the pay cut or the headaches! :P There are some truly volunteer FD's in Maine. I'm not sure of the one that received Thornwoods' pumper, but they're small enough that I've never heard of the town, and I get around the State a bit. Most VFD's in Maine are actually Paid on Call FD's that do receive tax money. Unlike NY, there are no fire districts nor any ability to collect monies by any means other than taxes or donations/fundraising.

While I am familiar with Chief Pellerin, I'm not familiar with the Whitefield FD.

"Not sure where you read or hear your info down in Texas, but your WRONG, Thornwood Sold that Engine for $6,0000 ! Get your info right and remove that topic . Mike Essig"

What did Thronwood sell the engine for ??? $6,000 or $60,000??? Either you put the comma in the wrong place or add an extra zero.