Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Apparatus Utility; The Truck Company Bumper

11 posts in this topic

The front bumper....

Engines have trashlines....

Rescues have EVERYTHING!

It is a spot well suited to be occupied by tools, hoses, intakes, discharges, and anything else we can think to jam on there...including the Q2 (albeit needed) and the shiny bell (NOT needed and a personal pet peeve of mine)...

BUt what about the truck company? What are some useful additions, specs, or ways you have, or have seen the front bumper tricked out? Obviously there are makes that have front outriggers or jacks that can prohibit too awfully much.

I saw on the Commack Tower Ladder thread, someone said they are not a fan of PW's on the front bumper...cool, but why? Freezing? Projectiles in an MVA? Why are they bad up there? Why are they good up there? I am not sold on cans on the bumper myself, but I am leaning towards liking the idea more than not.

What about a set of roof hooks mounted across the front extension bumper? That is an idea I have been throwing around on my company's truck...

So let's hear it - and pictures would be a great help too.

What about a set of roof hooks mounted across the front extension bumper? That is an idea I have been throwing around on my company's truck...

This was originally our plan as well, but given the tools (irons) on the front bumper of one of the engines are exposed to weather far more often than they're used, keeping them cleaned and rust free is more of a chore than the little space they freed up for us.Most of our hooks are either in tubes in the side or rear on the truck and two are on the back of the cab. The PW idea was shot down due to the freezing issue. In the end we have a large flat bumper that's a nice seat on a sunny day and used to stand on when washing the windows and lightbar. Edited by antiquefirelt

YFD Tower ladders have a hydraulic tool outlet in the front bumper w a dump valve

x129K likes this

Why even have an extended bumper on a truck company apparatus? My opinion, unless it is set up as a quint so that a front trash line can be installed, to cut down on the overall length on truck company apparatus, there is really no need for an overly extended front bumper. I can see maybe if the truck is set up for extrication purposes to have a hydraulic line, even an air line off the front bumper. With truck company apparatus being up to 40 or more feet long, you would want to cut down what is in front of you for the sake of a proper turning radius (meaning shortening the front end for easier maneuverability). But that is my view.

Danger likes this

Why even have an extended bumper on a truck company apparatus? My opinion, unless it is set up as a quint so that a front trash line can be installed, to cut down on the overall length on truck company apparatus, there is really no need for an overly extended front bumper. I can see maybe if the truck is set up for extrication purposes to have a hydraulic line, even an air line off the front bumper. With truck company apparatus being up to 40 or more feet long, you would want to cut down what is in front of you for the sake of a proper turning radius (meaning shortening the front end for easier maneuverability). But that is my view.

Excellent point!

I agree...wholeheartedly.

However - on my rig - it was ordered before me, so I am looking to make it useful now..other than holding the Federal, and being a good place to sit on sunny days as mentioned, which it totally is..LOL

Also - our rig has no grille on the front of the cab, so blocking airflow is not a concern.

It IS a "quint", but has no trash line. That would have been nice to have spec'ed..

Why even have an extended bumper on a truck company apparatus?

In our case (ALF/LTI MM) the extended bumper is necessary to contain the front down riggers/cab stabilizers. Other than that, there would be no need to make a long truck any longer than absolutely required.

post-2764-0-84545200-1299374565.jpg

Edited by antiquefirelt

In our case (ALF/LTI MM) the extended bumper is necessary to contain the front down riggers/cab stabilizers. Other than that, there would be no need to make a long truck any longer than absolutely required.

With front outriggers like the ALF/LTI and the Aerialscops, that is an exception, but it is really not an extended bumper. Those rigs have to be designed that way so that the stabilizers and operational equipment are protected. Putting an additional foot of chrome bumper and diamond plate out in front of the truck with no valuable purpose is what I am talking about.

Why even have an extended bumper on a truck company apparatus?

I would assume having a full bumper provides more impact protection to the cab if someone collides, or "bumps" the bumper.

Edited by roofsopen19

On my Seagrave tiller was have a ten-inch bumper, mainly just to house the Q siren. We have 2 4-ft rook hooks mounted on the bumper.

Here are some varied truck company bumpers that I have photographed. Most quints have a trash line on the front bumper.

Dallas, TX:

post-11-0-79716900-1299531053.jpg

Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (Quint):

post-11-0-07001700-1299531133.jpg

Austin, TX Quint 27

post-11-0-71791700-1299531281.jpg

Dallas TX (Reserve truck being disposed of):

post-11-0-57532500-1299531396.jpg

Round Rock FD Quint 4:

post-11-0-59248300-1299531486.jpg

Houston, TX Truck 28:

post-11-0-52696000-1299531618.jpg

Fort Worth, TX Quint 33:

post-11-0-33546700-1299531772.jpg

Ardsley FD's Former Quint 1:

post-11-0-71499900-1299531884.jpg

Stamford FD at the time Truck 2:

post-11-0-32215200-1299532070.jpg

57-Truck:

post-11-0-81845900-1299535309.jpg

Verplank Bronto:

post-11-0-25123500-1299535509.jpg

White Plains Ladder 32:

post-11-0-77926200-1299535727.jpg

Noroton Heights, CT

post-11-0-48455000-1299536027.jpg

LAFD Tiller:

post-11-0-40334800-1299536600.jpg

Yonkers FD Truck:

post-11-0-31890700-1299536847.jpg

New Rochelle Ladder 12:

post-11-0-50403800-1299537061.jpg

firedude, x129K, FFBlaser and 1 other like this

Excellent point!

I agree...wholeheartedly.

However - on my rig - it was ordered before me, so I am looking to make it useful now..other than holding the Federal, and being a good place to sit on sunny days as mentioned, which it totally is..LOL

Also - our rig has no grille on the front of the cab, so blocking airflow is not a concern.

It IS a "quint", but has no trash line. That would have been nice to have spec'ed..

depending pn how deep the bumper is, have a box made for it and place heavy equipment ie saws in it