Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Hey? Got a light?

29 posts in this topic

Throughout my travels in the fire service, I take note of what gear/equipment used and carried by firemen on a daily basis..and something I see far too little of, is members equipped with personal flashlights. I carry two...a Streamlight Survivor that is a good 18 years old on my coat, and a Power Plus handlight. These lights are with me at all times...for any structural run, fire or not and on all night runs. I will never be without a light by personal design. BOTH were purchased out of my own pocket, as I feel they should be considered a part of your PPE.

So..I pose these questions;

Do you carry a light with you on each run?

If no; why not?

What style light?

How do you wear it?

PFDRes47cue, bad box and x635 like this

I carry three lights:

One streamlight survivor in my right chest pocket

One streamlight vantage mounted to my helmet

and a ten dollar LED light that I purchased a walgreens last year...

I always have at least two on me...

sometimes at accident scenes I set my helmet down and use that as a work light if I am doing something requires a little bit more focused light on the task at hand

granted we also have the large handlights that are kept on the apparatus... I use those as often as possible. I purchased all the other ones or received them as gifts...

I try never to get off the rig without a box light if I am going to be going inside anywhere. Additionally, I keep an LED Streamlight in my helmet and a LED Survivor on my jacket at all times. Besides the fact that the Survivor points to the ground when crawling and having heard anecdotes by one specific WCFTC instructor about being hung-up on the Survivor, I have not found a better place for the day-to-day mounting and positioning of a flashlight that stays attached to your jacket 90% of the time.

Edited by bvfdjc316

I have a 4AA streamlight on my helmet, which I purchased. I like it a lot, wherever I look the beam goes. Its got a decent battery life and for its size it is quite bright. We also have the streamlight survivor series in our trucks. I dont usually grab one, but we have a few horse farms in our district, and at night having an extra light definitely helps, as they have a lot of large open spaces. As for anything that involves actual fire, I always grab another light.

Surprised by the amount of helmet lights....I dont like 'em...I think they have a high potential for hanging up in wires, etc...except the garrity light..

Also - the Streamlight Survivor usually is angled good when duck walking or on a room, bent over using a saw...but there is no doubt the Power Plus I sling over my shoulder and wear at my right hip is my shining star..pun intended.

Surprised by the amount of helmet lights....I dont like 'em...I think they have a high potential for hanging up in wires, etc...except the garrity light..

Also - the Streamlight Survivor usually is angled good when duck walking or on a room, bent over using a saw...but there is no doubt the Power Plus I sling over my shoulder and wear at my right hip is my shining star..pun intended.

I have my light mounted in the rubber band that you can get from streamlight. Its pretty low profile, and I haven't had any issues with it hanging up on things. One thing I don't like about the survivors, is that if you don't have an elastic strap below the point where you clip it on it swings all over the place. Im not a huge fan of lights that you sling over your shoulder, I find that when walking around they are fine, but when crawling around or lifting things, they move around an bunch. Plus if the clips on the strap ends break, your pretty much sol, and stuck carrying it around.

With Potsdam FD, I always have a Streamlight Survivor on my jacket. since we respond to the scene, I make sure it is charged all the time. I also have a Streamlight on my helmet (attached with the optional rubber band) I also have a Garrity light in my turnout coat pocket.

With Pleasantville FD, I always take a Steamlight Survivor with me when I leave the rig. I often take a box light as well. I also have a Streamlight on my helmet (attached with the optional rubber band) I also have a Garrity light in my turnout coat pocket.

I also have a small LED flashlight in my EMS jump bag.

I also have a EMS jump bag.

Please don't taint a good thread with such nonsense... :P:P:P

PFDRes47cue likes this

Please don't taint a good thread with such nonsense... :P:P:P

You deleted half of the quote! Im sorry for bringing EMS into this! LOLlaugh.gif

You deleted half of the quote! Im sorry for bringing EMS into this! LOLlaugh.gif

:P:P;)

Throughout my travels in the fire service, I take note of what gear/equipment used and carried by firemen on a daily basis..and something I see far too little of, is members equipped with personal flashlights. I carry two...a Streamlight Survivor that is a good 18 years old on my coat, and a Power Plus handlight. These lights are with me at all times...for any structural run, fire or not and on all night runs. I will never be without a light by personal design. BOTH were purchased out of my own pocket, as I feel they should be considered a part of your PPE.

If no; why not?

What style light?

How do you wear it?

Started my own thread to avoid tainting this gemlaugh.gif

Pocket Tools

I have a garrity light on my helmet, my own survivor on my coat, and my own vulcan light on a strap with a quick release. They all go with me to every call.

Anyone have one of those lights that mount in front of the shield on your helmet, that are a strip of LEDs? I see them a lot in advertisements online and in magazines. How do they compare to a more conventional light?

I have an led survivor on my coat and a streamlight on my helmet attached with a rubber band

My department is looking into getting new turnout gear. I'm interested in the new bullrad helmet that head the 8 LEDs in he front and the blue led in the rear

My department is looking into getting new turnout gear. I'm interested in the new bullrad helmet that head the 8 LEDs in he front and the blue led in the rear

You can get these LED's for almost any helmet. I am a big fan of the Morning Pride helmet. Also, remember that when crawling through a smoked out house, the 8 LED's in the front will point straight at the ground and the blue LED will point straight into the air..useless.

I imagine that these helmet lights appeal to you because you can easily see the people in front of you from their blue LED. If this is the case, consider outfitting people with box lights will rear facing blue LED's these are great for performing searches and make it very easy to see people in front of you in low visibility since the blue LED's will always be facing backwards and parallel to the ground.

Good luck with the search for new gear!

We have blue LEDs on our big streamlights....

I picked up one of these in Harrisburg last May. Been using it almost a year now and have used it at a dozen jobs or so. Works fantastic and weighs next to nothing. easy to turn off/on with a gloved hand.

http://www.searchsleeve.com/

I picked up one of these in Harrisburg last May. Been using it almost a year now and have used it at a dozen jobs or so. Works fantastic and weighs next to nothing. easy to turn off/on with a gloved hand.

http://www.searchsleeve.com/

Very cool! Do you mind if I ask how much they go for?

Not sure but if I recall it was a show "special price" around $50 for the sleeve and the light. Well worth it. It's one of those things that comes in handy at every fire.

If no; why not?

What style light?

How do you wear it?

No firefighter should get off the rig at a run without reliable portable lighting for personal safety as well as operational efficiency. I too always had a Streamlight Survivor on my coat, and a Power Plus handlight on a seatbelt. In addition, I kept a small halogen (2 AA battery) streamlight in my coat pocket (useful at lengthy operations in subway tunnels as well as long walks up in high rise buildings) You never know when you will operate at an incident that outlasts the charge on your primary light.

I only recently heard about the searchsleeve. Seem like a very smart and cool thing to have. You guys have given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks for the info!

I have a 4AA streamlight on my helmet, which I purchased. I like it a lot, wherever I look the beam goes. Its got a decent battery life and for its size it is quite bright.

I bought the same thing with the Blackjack mounting bracket. Its called the 4AA Propolymer. Great little light for a low price. I also use the Survivor or Vulcan LED (updated lightbox) on the rig. Streamlight can be expensive, but you can't beat the quality and if you ever have a problem with the light, you just send it back and they fix it for free.

The Searchsleeve is pretty cool - Nate DeMarse has been using one and has some pics on his Facebook...

"A Firefighter without a tool is an informed citizen" ;)

A firefighter without a flashlight is a blind informed citizen... :rolleyes:

Never get off the truck without tools and a light. I always have the survivor on my chest, atleast two smaller flashlights in my pockets, a strobe on my helmet, and the lightbox on a strap around my shoulder with the rear facing LED's.

That search sleeve is a cool looking design, but does anyone have any experience using one? Does it get caught on things when you try and work with your hands, like forcing doors? Is it easy to donn and doff? Looks interesting and I would like any more info on these thats available.

I have used the search sleeve at close to a dozen jobs, and have not had a problem with it. It stays on your gear jacket forearm area, you dont put it on and off each alarm. It is a snug fit around your wrist when sliding your arm into your jaket, but once your arm is in the jacket it stays put on your forearm. I have not had a problem with it catching on anything, or a problem working/climbing/crawling. hey we have all blown money on other "toys", I think this is worth trying for anyone. Like others have stated, you can never have to many lights at your disposal.

I stopped wearing a streamlight years ago after getting hung up on it several times and the more I thought about it and observed others the more I realized I was wearing a flashlight that pointed to the ground while crawling. Now its just a vulcan for me and most of the guys I work with. They are light weight sit nice and the blue LED's on the back stand out very nicely for visual with your partner.

As far as helmet lights go...no way, no how for me. I want nothing extra on my helmet to become an entanglement magnet and teaching over the years I've seen them cause more problems then they prevent and funny enough..most people I run into with them don't turn them on when it comes time to work as they are focused someplace else. Its bad enough with some of the face shield connectors used on some helmets now protruding from the sides of the helmets, the eagle front piece holder all causing entanglement problems.

Couple that with the amount of crap they are putting on the back of our SCBA's sticking out, the DRD's that will catch nails like snookie catches cold sores and then we add to the mix with a flashlight on our coats, helmet and all kinds of other crazy crap. I'm wide enough naturally..I don't need extra help.

SageVigiles, BFD1054 and M' Ave like this

You can't go wrong with the PowerPlus Daylighter. I's simple, bright and takes a beating. One suggestion I'd make, and I stole this idea from someone else. I can't take the credit, it's a great idea;

Most box lights come with a shoulder strap. Instead, put a big ring or a biner through the handle and clip BOTH ends of ends of the shoulder strap to that ring. Also, tighten the shoulder stap so that, when you put it over your head, the light stays tucked a little tighter under your arm. This way, it doesn't hang down too far and with the ring and biner, you can easily point the light in every direction.

Guys with a lot of experience have always said that a light, a big one, is key on the roof. You need all the light you can get up there. The coat mounted survivor light really does nothing but point at the ground when you're crawling, but it's great for a guy who has the Control position in an engine. When you're in a poorly lit stairwell and you need to hook up to and monitor pressure from the stand-pipe, it's a great light.

CFFD117 likes this