Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fuel Door Suprise

20 posts in this topic

Today, I was photographing my city's newest engine, a 2011 Pierce Impel. When I went to open what looked like a double SCBA wheelwell compartment, I was suprised. This is the first time I've seen this, and probaly will see it well into the future. A port for diesel, and a port for urea.

post-11-0-55276400-1301788692.jpg

firedude likes this

So what do you do when you run low? Urinate into tank?

So what do you do when you run low? Urinate into tank?

lol no. I think its a special solution you have to add. IIRC its AUS 32 or something. Urea and nitrogen i believe. supposed to reduce NOx from diesel exhaust. I'll keep my 7.3 powerstroke ;)

Just another reason we speced out a 2009 model motor in our new 2010 engine..........

JetPhoto likes this

Does it do 1.21 jig-a-watts with that mixture??? :D

Hey, its just like any new vehicle with "hybrid technology", expect the unexpected!

Just another reason we speced out a 2009 model motor in our new 2010 engine..........

Unfortunatately, the manufacturers are jacking up the prices on these pre-2010 engines. With the frequency this departments buys new apparatus at, it is inevitable that they go with these new engines..

your not the only one......

JetPhoto likes this

I wish we could still get 8v92 engines... No emissions, lots of power..

Double post, sorry

Edited by 38ff

This is how all diesels are going to be from now on. With the government mandating certain fuel economy and emissions they need to add new technology. The use of urea helps cut the amount of toxic emissions by a lot. I know on the new fords it will give you a warning when you are low. Once you run out it will allow you to drive for a few miles in limp mode. If you fail to put any urea in the car will not start. And the higher end manufactures are gonna need to use this too. Mercedes already has their version of the urea system out now.

I can now hear the radio call.. "Chief, we need Urea to the scene" for those long duration pumping calls.

I can now hear the radio call.. "Chief, we need Urea to the scene" for those long duration pumping calls.

If you hear that, they ran out of fuel 3 days ago, since the Urea tank holds enough for 3 full tanks of diesel fuel.

firefighter36 likes this

We manage to do just fine filling up the fuel tanks, I think we can manage DEF. It all depends on the size of your DEF tank and the percent of DEF used vs gallons of fuel but all of the tanks go much longer than your fuel tank. Most car and truck manufacturers are advertising 5 to 15 thousand miles on a tank and while Detroit and Cummins both offer customers a choice the smallest tanks are good for thousands of miles.

The real problem I see is the shelf life. Only 2 years in the best conditions and as little as 6 months to a year. I see some rigs out there that only do a couple thousand miles a year. If these tanks are constantly topped off you will soon have some very old Urea in your tanks.

I don't see this as being an issue. For busy departments, check it every shift. You should be checking your rig anyways...

Everyone should be checking out Navistar's Diesel engine design to meet the 2010 EPA engine standards. Instead of adding urea to the exhaust, they just reuse the exhaust in the engine. Meets standards, no urea needed and no more expensive.

Everyone should be checking out Navistar's Diesel engine design to meet the 2010 EPA engine standards. Instead of adding urea to the exhaust, they just reuse the exhaust in the engine. Meets standards, no urea needed and no more expensive.

Like a turbo? lol. And if I am correct this is Navistar's DPF regeneration system. Same thing on the fords. Causes some pretty poor fuel mileage

Like a turbo? lol. And if I am correct this is Navistar's DPF regeneration system. Same thing on the fords. Causes some pretty poor fuel mileage

Not quite like a turbo. A turbo uses the exhaust gasses to power a compressor that forces CLEAN outside air into the engine. (sorry if you were being sarcasic and knew that, haha)

This is an old practice used on some gas engines in the 80s in the name of emissions and it does reduce mileage because you're adding hot (less dense) air into the engine that doesn't combust as well because there is soot and burnt gasses in it. It can seriously clog up the intake manifold over time. I'd rather use UREA

EGR is viable and used to meet similar standards in Europe by some companies. However it is less fuel efficient and navistar was planning to use emissions credits they've already earned to offset higher than permitted emissions while they perfect their engines. Its more than just the EGR for navistar to meet the standards. This is a whole new engine using a variety of engineering and fuel injection technologies to try and meet these standards.

lol no. I think its a special solution you have to add. IIRC its AUS 32 or something. Urea and nitrogen i believe. supposed to reduce NOx from diesel exhaust. I'll keep my 7.3 powerstroke ;)

Ill second that brother, never get rid of mine either! Best pick 'em up truck diesel engine out there!