Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tunnel to connect Metro-North riders with LIRR, Penn Station

14 posts in this topic

This should be nice-I didn't even know this project was still underway. It will make getting to Madison Square Garden and Penn Station for Amtrak, LIRR, and NJ Tranist trains much easier.

Tunnel to connect Metro-North riders with LIRR, Penn Station

Apr 12, 2011

Written by Ken Valenti

NEW YORK — Work continues on a $7.3 billion project that will allow train riders from Westchester and Putnam to travel directly to Penn Station or to connect directly to Long Island Rail Road at a station being built under Grand Central Terminal.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110412/NEWS01/104120331/1018/NEWS02/Tunnel-connect-Metro-North-riders-LIRR-Penn-Station

Very cool. I look forward to utilizing this a lot.

Typical journal news reporting. The East SIde Access project is not a direct connection between Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. It is a new tunnel from Queens utilizing the lower level of the 63 street tunnel and then under Park Avenue to a new LIRR terminal underneath the lower level of Grand Central. It was designed to give Long Islanders better access to midtown Manhattan around 42 Street, and possibly free up spots in Penn Station in the future for Metro North via the HelLs Gate Bridge or West side. Amtrak and NJ Transit will not use this at all. You will still have to take subway between Penn Station and Grand Central. Check out railroad.net for more info. According to sources there, Penn Station is operating at capacity and any slots freed up by LIRR trains going to Grand Central, Amtrak has first shot at followed by NJ transit. Work on the tunnel from 63/Lexington to Grand Central has been going on via tunnel boring machines for the last few years. The hardest part of the project, connecting the current tunnel underneath the East River to LIRR's sunnyside yard in Queens still has to be dug and will be the hardest and most expensive part of the project.

islander likes this

Thanks Kurt. Now I remember how it was going to work.

Hopefully MNRR will run trains directly to Penn Station eventually.

Having actually been down in the caverns I must say it is truly an amazing project. That being said to me it's a waste of money. It's only a few stops on the E Train from Penn to midtown and lots of people bail off the LIRR at Jamacia station and take the subway into Manhattan. But Metro North will get lots more retail space in their new terminal to charge an arm and a leg for.

But Metro North will get lots more retail space in their new terminal to charge an arm and a leg for.

The way I understand it is it is not Metro North's space (although I could have been misinformed). The new concourse is to fall under the authority of LIRR.

I'd rather see a MNRR connection across the Hudson so that people don't have to connect via Hoboken.

27east likes this

The way I understand it is it is not Metro North's space (although I could have been misinformed). The new concourse is to fall under the authority of LIRR.

Since Metro North and LIRR are just geographical divisions of MTA, and all the $ goes to MTA, does it make any difference?

Typical journal news reporting. The East SIde Access project is not a direct connection between Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. It is a new tunnel from Queens utilizing the lower level of the 63 street tunnel and then under Park Avenue to a new LIRR terminal underneath the lower level of Grand Central. It was designed to give Long Islanders better access to midtown Manhattan around 42 Street, and possibly free up spots in Penn Station in the future for Metro North via the HelLs Gate Bridge or West side. Amtrak and NJ Transit will not use this at all. You will still have to take subway between Penn Station and Grand Central. Check out railroad.net for more info. According to sources there, Penn Station is operating at capacity and any slots freed up by LIRR trains going to Grand Central, Amtrak has first shot at followed by NJ transit. Work on the tunnel from 63/Lexington to Grand Central has been going on via tunnel boring machines for the last few years. The hardest part of the project, connecting the current tunnel underneath the East River to LIRR's sunnyside yard in Queens still has to be dug and will be the hardest and most expensive part of the project.

Can Metro north trains even run on the hell's gate Bridge, i thought amtrak and metro north run 2 diffrent locomotives??

Metro North uses an under-riding third rail shoe, while LIRR uses an over riding design. The new M8 train are supposed to have a shoe compatible with both types of third rail. However there is a section from New Rochelle where the track that connects Metro North to the Hells Gate Bridge has no catenary or third rail. Metro North's M7A were serviced out in the Arch Street shops (near Hunterspoint Ave) in Queens by Bombardier for warranty work, hauled by diesel locomotives so the connection in theory will work, However there is no room in Penn Station at this time to run this type of service.

Since Metro North and LIRR are just geographical divisions of MTA, and all the $ goes to MTA, does it make any difference?

Yes and no. I do understand what you are saying but think of Metro North and LIRR (along with NYC Transit)as completely separate entities. That being said, each is it's own operation and money taken from one would not likely go to the other.

To the layman that's not a big deal. I take it personal since Metro North has been cutting jobs over the course of the last 12 months, I'd rather not see myself furloughed as a result.

Can Metro north trains even run on the hell's gate Bridge, i thought amtrak and metro north run 2 diffrent locomotives??

No, MNR trains can not go to Penn as the voltages are different. MNR trains to not have the voltage converters to switch.

Isn't Moynihan station supposed to open up space at Penn for MetroNorth in the distant future? These revenue neutral projects are ridiculous. They need to spend money attracting more customers rather than adding services for existing customers.

27east likes this

Isn't Moynihan station supposed to open up space at Penn for MetroNorth in the distant future? These revenue neutral projects are ridiculous. They need to spend money attracting more customers rather than adding services for existing customers.

I don't think Moynihan's goal is to open up space for MNR. I

If MNR ever did go to NYP there would be numerous logistical items to figure out between equipment and scheduling. As it is right now the New Haven Line is bursting at the seams with trains during rush hour where the smallest delay will cause a snow ball of issues. Now to add trains that branch off at Gate will set things over the top.

The Hudson Line should be able to handle the additional load. The Harlem Line is academic to the discussion as there is no access to NYP with out making a reverse move.