Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Haggerty 1029

Personal Flashlights

12 posts in this topic

I recently joined a local Vol. Dept and im slowly getting gear and outfitted for calls, ive run a few calls while it was dark out and realized real quick not having a personal light sucked, and it was worse carring one of the larger bulky lights off the rig. So i wanted to know what type or light do you carry? and why you chose that light. Thanks for your input.

Survivor or Survivor LED. I had the regular Survivior light from FF1 and on, lasted me 9 years numerous fires/calls/drops etc then the charger went missing, so purchased the Survivor LED since it was only slightly more costly than a replacement rechargeable battery and charger. Both are great and the Survivor LED comes with the AA battery pack adapter and of course new charger that fits the older Survivor light! So I ended up with a new very powerful and yet small light and got my old one back in business. They are around $90 and up depending on the "accessories".

I also carry the led survivor light it's a great light. In addition to that there is also a led garrity light on my helmet which came with the wack pack that I purchased from thefirestore.com

I wear a survivor light on my coat, but that's really no help if you're doing a search or what not. It can't be directed easily and if you're crawling, it faces down. It's really only good for control, if you need a light facing straight ahead while you hook up a stand-pipe, or other wise.

I also have the Advanced Lighting unit (http://www.alcorp.com/al2000.HTM) that you'll see FDNY officers carry. A lot of guys favor this light (maybe because the job provides a charger?) because it's really durable and simple. It puts our a lot of light as well. I would suggest a modification to the strap. I didn't come up with this idea, it's thoroughly stolen, but I don't know who originated it. Remove the strap from the light and put a carabiner through the handle, then shorten the strap and clip both ends to that carabiner. Once it is slung over your around your head and over one shoulder, it will stay tucked in under your arm a bit more. This will stop it from swinging around while you're crawling. The single attachment point for the strap will also make it easier to direct. I hope that explanation is sufficient.

I wear a survivor light on my coat, but that's really no help if you're doing a search or what not. It can't be directed easily and if you're crawling, it faces down.

Our gear is fitted with an accessory clip/Survivor strap sewn on the chest near the midline for the Right Angle style lights. When you are crawling you need only release the velcro and the light swings down and faces forward. Still many prefer the box light on a strap as well.

I have an led survivor light on my jacket and i have a smaller survivor led light held on my helmet by a rubber band

Vulcan LED and a Survivor LED. Unlike a lot of people I use the Vulcan with the strap extended, notsomuch tight under my armpit, also have some hockey tape over the quick seatbelt style release, which prevents accident release but you can still release it through the tape. The main thing people have to say about the Survivor is when you crawl it points down, well along the same lines as what M'Ave said, there's a lot of things you do with your coat on besides crawl, whether its hitting the hydrant, standpipe, overhaul, etc.

i personally use a survivor led on my coat and a vulcan led light around my waist on a Fire Hooks Unlimited: Fidney Tool Belt. IMG-20110505-00014.jpg

I think the Streamlight Survivor is the standard of flashlights. Right angle is perfect for coat mounting, stands up if you need it to, fits in your hand comfortably. Rechargeable or AA batteries option if you want, all around a great light. The rest comes with doing the job. Some guys like having the light on the helmet, which I have. Just look and that's where the light goes. Garrety use to make that iconic light for helmets but I have not seen it in a long time. I think they were bought by Life Light. Anyway if you get an helmet light make sure it is not a entanglement hazard. Don't want to get wires caught up there and then your stuck.

I rock the halogen vulcan with a backboard strap, seat belt buckle style

Thanks for all the opinoins and storys about your lights, especially for the photo of the vulcan, someone tried explanning this set up to me i believe. Looks like ill be going with a survivor LED for now. Thanks again.