Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

Retired FDNY lt. takes own life

9 posts in this topic

NY Daily News

A retired FDNY lieutenant who survived the attack on the World Trade Center and the Deutsche Bank fire took his own life on Friday night.

Retired Lt. John Garcia of South Nyack in Rockland County, known to friends as Jack, spent much of his quarter-century as a firefighter at busy Engine 68, Ladder 49 in the Bronx. He responded to the World Trade Center on 9/11 and was present when the towers fell.

"He felt powerless," a friend said yesterday. "People needed help and he was a firefighter and he couldn't help them."

After his promotion to lieutenant, Garcia was assigned to Engine 24, Ladder 5 in Manhattan. The firehouse had suffered terrible losses on 9/11 as well as at a fire on Watts St. in 1994.

Garcia was working at Engine 24, Ladder 5 on Aug. 18, 2007, when a call came in for a fire at the Deutsche Bank building at the edge of Ground Zero.

Two of Garcia's firefighters, Robert Beddia and Joseph Graffagnino, perished in what veterans described as the worst fire of their experience. Garcia was deeply affected, friends said.............................

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.

"The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.

x635 and firefighter36 like this

Before John got promoted, he worked in my Battalion.................Great guy, a terrible loss!

He was also the boss on 24 engine on the day of the Deutsche Bank building fire...............God rest his soul!

Rest in Peace Brother!

Edited by CBX4627
x635 likes this

Tragic. Rest in peace Brother. Condolences to family and Brother Firefighters.

Rest in Peace Lt. Garcia.

Watch over our brothers and your men wherever they be...

RIP....a very sad loss for any family.

Very sad. May he rest in peace.

Very sad indeed. These men and women need a lot more help that they are receiving. I can't imagine what he was feeling on the inside. RIP.

Sad Story, I wish his family and friends all my thoughts and prayers, and may any other member suffering as much as he did PLEASE seek help from anyone. We are here for you.

Rest In Peace...

Wow, very sad.

Hopefully this will shed some light on the issue so his death won't be in vein. There have been several 9/11 responders who have committed suicide, and I'm sure as PTSD worsens there will be more. It's sad that mental health is so overlooked.