Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Somers New Utility 5

17 posts in this topic

Somers FD recently took delivery of our new Utility 5. This vehicle is assigned to the fire police squad and should serve our department very well. Great job by the commissioners and the members who were involved in the process. It should be in service in the coming weeks once it is finished being equipped.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

FFBlaser, FF398, x635 and 1 other like this

Looks good. What kinds of equipment will it have and what duties will it perform?

Interesting concept of putting the arrow sticks on the side. I would assume the vehicle would park sideways on roads to block the traffic lane.

Neat truck. Is that the old QA-1 parked next to it?

This is an all purpose utility. It is assigned to the fire police because its main purpose is traffic control. It carries a large supply of cones, barricades, flares and the like. This vehicle also will serve as a backup rescue since it will carry our spare hurst tools and cribbing. It also will carry our portable pumps for pumpouts.

This is an all purpose utility. It is assigned to the fire police because its main purpose is traffic control. It carries a large supply of cones, barricades, flares and the like. This vehicle also will serve as a backup rescue since it will carry our spare hurst tools and cribbing. It also will carry our portable pumps for pumpouts.

Lieutenant, thanks for sharing the pics and info. Its a nice truck for sure and not over the top. Im just glad to hear its not soley a Fire Police unit.

Any plans for the old U-5, the Ford? That truck served the Dept well for many years. Was a good utility for pump-outs, wires down, etc.

Nice Vehicle , Best of Luck , Be safe Somers FD.

I like it! Looks like it was converted from a contractors body. I'm just suprised their are no chevrons on the sides and there's no light tower. But looks very affordable!

Similar setup to what has been on display at the L.I. Fire Expo the last two years. Pictures below.

post-27-0-23559700-1306024108.jpg

post-27-0-85367900-1306024129.jpg

post-27-0-72394500-1306024145.jpg

I can't recall what the brand is, but where the cones are in the rear compartmnet, that is a full length slide out tray. Also, in the cab is the controls for the three arrow sticks, right between the seats, nice setup. Front compartment Officers side is a refrigerator, and rear Drivers side compartment is a speedy dry hopper. The chassis is a Ford F-series four door.

I can't recall what the brand is, but where the cones are in the rear compartmnet, that is a full length slide out tray. Also, in the cab is the controls for the three arrow sticks, right between the seats, nice setup. Front compartment Officers side is a refrigerator, and rear Drivers side compartment is a speedy dry hopper. The chassis is a Ford F-series four door.

If you're referring to the Somers unit, the body appears to be by Reading. If you look closely on one of the side pictures, their "logo" is in front of the rear wheel well.

If you're referring to the Somers unit, the body appears to be by Reading. If you look closely on one of the side pictures, their "logo" is in front of the rear wheel well.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the unit from the LI Expo.

Shoot the inside of the box with Rhino Lining and it would be perfect!

I think the old 1987 U-5 has been sold. U-34 out of service I think also..

Anybody know of the new TL 18 for somers?

Needs more Chevrons in the back :)

JM15 likes this

Needs more Chevrons in the back :)

ohh boy lol

I think the old 1987 U-5 has been sold. U-34 out of service I think also..

Anybody know of the new TL 18 for somers?

If they get rid of U-5 and U-34, whats the department mechanic gonna be bummin around in?

U-5 is to be sold anyone want to buy it??? U-34 goes to the mechanic and is still available for FD use