Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Finally Got A HomePatrol HP-1 Scanner (And Mounted It In My Car)

14 posts in this topic

I had to sell my Uniden BCD 396T I got as a gift several years ago because it was too complicated for me and so were the digital systems....this brings back the fun of scanning...very easy and quick to use while on the road. I was waiting for the second generation HomePatrol but doesn't look like there is going to be one anytime soon.

So, with the proceeds from the BCD396T sale, I finally got a Uniden Home Patrol HP-1. This is how I mounted it in my car (2008 Ford Focus)..wanted easy accesiblity that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to look at. And, since I drive stick, it had to be out of the way of my armrest and shifter.

uniden.jpg

This is on a RAM mount flex arm that bolts to the seat bolt. This is the item and where I purchased it from:

RAM POD 1 Seat Bolt Floor Mount with 1" Diamond Ball

And you need the mobile cradle which screws on to the ball/swivel mount. Very easy to remove from cradle and take to your desk:

Uniden Mounting Cradle for HomePatrol-1 Scanner

firedude likes this

Seth i have always thought of getting one, My one question that i have not been able to find is are the frequency's from a web source like radio reference or is it just like an actual scanner???. But enjoy it.

Seth,

I've read up on the home patrol quite a bit. It's a great scanner especially if coupled with GPS. That said, just make sure you keep the database in the scanner up to date. Radio Reference is a good source for this. I actually saw a post from soeone that popped his new HP1 into his car and thought he was good to go but didn't hear what he thought he would. come to find out the database in the scanner was 7 months old and 4 months prior the department he wanted to monitor had changed freqs. So like I said, keep the database updated. I know the GRE portable version (PSR 800) does allow the entrance of freqs manually. I'm not sure if this is the caase with the HP1. Happy Scanning!!!

Joe

@Anesti: you can get the frequencies from Radio Reference or the included Uniden Sentinel software. The Butel software is also available. You can also manually enter frequencies. AND, wherever you are, it also picks up radio systems automatically.

@Joe: Thank for the info. It's easy enough to take out of the car cradle and bring with you, since it also is powered by rechargeable batteries. I intend to keep it updated as often as I can, including the firmware, which they keep tweaking and fixing bugs. I would like the GPS kit, maybe one day, but basically this scanner was an even swap and the GPS setup costs about $100 more.

Here are some more photos of the installation:

mount2.jpg

And the mount to the seatbolt, which sits like a long washer and is bolted down by the same seatbolt. (the wiring comes from my external Sirius unit, and the HomePatrol power cord, which goes to a power supply under my passenger seat. I'm going to neaten it up when I can.

mount3.jpg

Seth, with that mount, does it get in the way of a passenger sitting in the seat or no?

Seth, with that mount, does it get in the way of a passenger sitting in the seat or no?

Not at all. That was one of the things I took into consideratiion. It runs inbetween the seat and the void space between the console and seat, and you can slide the seat all the way foward and all the way back. Also, I rarely have a passenger, since I primarily use the car for errands, going to work, and photo hunting, so it's rare. Mostly use my wife's car, since it has all the baby stuff in it, and my car is a two door version of the Focus.

Also, I should note that I have the Ford Mictosoft Sync in the car, so I can attach it via USB and hear the radio through my car speakers. I also got a Uniden external speaker, but haven't figured out where to mount it yet. (with the muscic I listen to....Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Art Of Dying, In This Moment, etc) I want to be able be able to override that when I hear a legit incident.

OK, so the OEM "rubber ducky" antenna sucks.

So, I got a SpectrumForce All Band Mobile antenna. Would this work if I mounted it INSIDE my trunk? I really don't want to mount it on the exterior.

I also got a really good deal....the GPS kit for determining which systems are cloe by and automtically tunes into them is coming tommorow.

And for God's sakes Seth - clean our car! LOL

I am going through a fairly frustrating time with a mobile scanner I recently put in my Suburban...very spotty reception and it drives me nuts. Of course it is a basic, yet reliable Bearcat..

Seth, don't put it in the trunk, it will pick up like crap. Best bet is to get a trunk lip mount and put it to your trunk.

Do me a favor take the power wire for your Sirius and flip it around the back of the radio so it comes out right next to the antenna wire. Then get some tape or more zip ties and clean up the wire a little more. Its killing me.

Seth, don't put it in the trunk, it will pick up like crap. Best bet is to get a trunk lip mount and put it to your trunk.

I am thinking about the back deck just behind the back glass. I really don't want anything that's not OEM outside the car.

Do me a favor take the power wire for your Sirius and flip it around the back of the radio so it comes out right next to the antenna wire. Then get some tape or more zip ties and clean up the wire a little more. Its killing me.

The wiring will be cleaned up nicey-nice once everything is installed.

And for God's sakes Seth - clean our car! LOL

I do- but with the exceptional drought down here, it will get dusty and dirty very soon again.

Another question....if the OEM "rubber ducky" antenna works somewhat inside the car, why wouldn't another antenna?

Another question....if the OEM "rubber ducky" antenna works somewhat inside the car, why wouldn't another antenna?

The reason that you put the antenna out side of the vehicle is to move it away from any RF interference. Every electrical component made make RF noise. So yes while the stock antenna will work in side of the car, as well as another other antenna, the actual capable reception diminishes due to electrical interference and and actually the metal of your car (metal actually block radio waves and creates a greater decibel loss). With the rubber ducky on the scanner close to your dashboard, it will pick up interference more. Obviously by moving the antenna away from the interference source, the better the reception is.

If you decide to use an antenna inside of the glass on the rear deck, you still should have the antenna grounded to the metal or use a dipole antenna for the scanner. This will improve reception as the metal of your car (regardless inside or out) will give it a better counterpoise (ground plane). Placing the antenna out side of the vehicle is the best as its (farther) away from any interference and nothing is blocking radio signals to be picked up by the antenna. But also automotive glass is not like regular glass and will block some of the signal strength (not that noticeable though). If you don't want to drill holes or use a trunk lip, best bet is to go with a mag mount then and place it on your rear deck.

Also the shorter you make your co-axial cable run, the better. Regardless where you mount your antenna, run the cable the shortest route possible and then cut it so that you only have a few inches of slack. You don't want to coil up all that cable as you will notice a considerable drop in reception. This is signal loss in the cable and that is normal. By shortening up the line and putting on a new connector, it helps combat signal losses down the length of the cable, obviously the short the cable the better. That is why sometimes the stock antenna that come with a scanner has a better or stronger sounding signal. RG-59 is usually what manufacturers use for mobile scanner antennas but that style of cable is notorious for its great signal loss at every foot (I believe is something like 3 decibels per 10 feet or something off the top of my head).

Thanks again Joe for your antenna advice!

What I ended up doing was putting the anntenna above the rear seats, using the magnet mount attracted to a child seat restraint hook, which was steel and atached to other steel of the car. I also installed the GPS location reciever, and since I've done both, the reception is everything I need it to be.