Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Response Codes Question (what is code 1, 2, 3?)

24 posts in this topic

I'm not a fireman but have a scanner on my phone and like to listen to 60 Control, particularly when the tones go off in my town so I know what's going on.

I was listening this morning as Ossining had a duel response call to Maryknoll - St. Theresa's with Millwood. Upon listening I heard either Car 2331 or 2332 (don't remember off hand) radio to KB467 (Ossining Police) that he wanted all apparatus to respond as Code 2.

My question is what exactly are Codes 1-3?

I'm not a fireman but have a scanner on my phone and like to listen to 60 Control, particularly when the tones go off in my town so I know what's going on.

I was listening this morning as Ossining had a duel response call to Maryknoll - St. Theresa's with Millwood. Upon listening I heard either Car 2331 or 2332 (don't remember off hand) radio to KB467 (Ossining Police) that he wanted all apparatus to respond as Code 2.

Every department is different and my answer will be totally different then the next guys, which is why NIMS recommends plain English for radio transmissions. But generally Code 1 is no lights no sirens, Code 2 is normally for police use of Lights through intersections for a silent approach, and Code 3 is full lights and sirens.

You'll hear departments request 'Respond with Caution," "Slow it down," but when you break the wordage down, the appropriate way to have units go non-emergency is to request "Units respond in Non-Emergency"

Code 3: Lights and Sirens while on call

Code 2: Non-emergency, with traffic, while on call

Code 1: With traffic, not on call

Code 3: Lights and Sirens while on call

Code 2: Non-emergency, with traffic, while on call

Code 1: With traffic, not on call

Typically, at least up here, there are only Code 1, and Code 3. I have never heard anything in my area said to respond "Code 2".

Code 1 = Lights and Sirens OFF (Still proceed in, but with traffic)

Code 2 = Not used (at least up here)

Code 3 = Lights and Sirens Activated

Around here....

Code 3 is lights and sirens

Code 2 is lights and "minimal" use of sirens

Code 1 is normal flow of traffic

My personal oppinnion is that code 2 should be outlawed...

I know some departments use "code 1,2,3 etc" to let the cheifs know how many people are on the rigs. I believe Elmsford and Pleasantville both do this.

For example: Eng 237 responding code 5 and that will let the other responding units know how many people are on the rig.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong.

I know some departments use "code 1,2,3 etc" to let the cheifs know how many people are on the rigs. I believe Elmsford and Pleasantville both do this.

For example: Eng 237 responding code 5 and that will let the other responding units know how many people are on the rig.

Interesting. Since our district is so expansive and our members are allowed respond to the scene, we call the unit a Company if there are 3 or more interior qualified members responding on the apparatus.

You are correct. In Pleasantville the Officer will call us responding Code (1, 2, 3, etc). This refers to the number of interior firefighter that are responding on the rig.

In Somers it is..

Code 2 is the option inside the truck that only puts a certain amount of lights on, for Somers its no lights on top, only in the headlights etc.

Where is that button in the rig? lol

CODE 2- Reduced emergency response, Reduce to and do not exceed posted speed limit. ALL visual

devices remain on and audible warning devices must be sounded when approaching or transiting an

intersection.

You are correct. In Pleasantville the Officer will call us responding Code (1, 2, 3, etc). This refers to the number of interior firefighter that are responding on the rig.

Does this number include the driver and officer? or just the people in the back?

Edited by DaRock98

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I have a general understanding of this now.

Hope you don't mind but I chuckled when you said 'duel' response - is that fastest one wins :D ? As opposed to dual response because the location straddles two districts ...

In this case Code 2 is non-emergency - Code 1 is by default and is lights and siren.

You're correct about Elmsford FD. We give a code status to advise how many firefighters total (including officer, chauffeur, firefighters) are on the rig.

We are very familiar with and use NIMs/plain langauge; code status is strictly for our use and not any other agency.

Hope you don't mind but I chuckled when you said 'duel' response - is that fastest one wins :D ? As opposed to dual response because the location straddles two districts ...

In this case Code 2 is non-emergency - Code 1 is by default and is lights and siren.

Duel response is always the case for Maryknoll due to being on the border of both districts so both Millwood and Ossining respond. Or at least I think it is, I'll have to double check on that so don't quote me on it.

Edited by peterose313

My county baffles me, they use a variety of things and its silly. They use plain english when speaking to units in the field such as "Respond incident under control" but have an elaborate (yet confusing) dispatch priority rating system.

Alpha- No imminent danger, respond code 1. (Little old ladies who are lonely with the sniffles)

Bravo- BLS Non-emergency. (Small cuts and bruises, fallen and cant get up)

Charlie- ALS Non-emergency. (not sure if something even qualifies as ALS NON emergency)

Delta- ALS Emergency. (Chest pain, dyspnea, diabetic emergencies etc etc)

Echo- Everyone drop what your doing and get here now. (Codes, unresponsive pt,)

To me, its a waste. Hit the tones and tell us to respond to station. We get a crew and respond, you can tell us enroute what the nature of the call is. Just get to the scene and use the old fashioned patient assessment skills to determine the true priority. For fires its the same thing...tone us out, when we respond tell us the nature of call and let officers determine priority and mutual aid needed.

Once on the road its either respond priority or not, its not that difficult a thing to comprehend and does not need codes or priority dispatches.

Do away with codes, use plain english, K.I.S.S :rolleyes:

Around here....

Code 3 is lights and sirens

Code 2 is lights and "minimal" use of sirens

Code 1 is normal flow of traffic

My personal oppinnion is that code 2 should be outlawed...

Your description of Code 2 is outlawed, at least in New York State. If your lights are on, your siren must be on.

Every department is different and my answer will be totally different then the next guys, which is why NIMS recommends plain English for radio transmissions. But generally Code 1 is no lights no sirens, Code 2 is normally for police use of Lights through intersections for a silent approach, and Code 3 is full lights and sirens.

You'll hear departments request 'Respond with Caution," "Slow it down," but when you break the wordage down, the appropriate way to have units go non-emergency is to request "Units respond in Non-Emergency"

This is what I've always heard. The important thing to note is that Code 2 is for police only, and is commonly referred to as "expedited response". This is what pisses the public off when they see police turn on their lights only to get through intersections then turn them off. The public assumes they are doing that just because they can, but they are really responding Code 2 for an expedited silent approach.

There is no use for this in the fire service.

Edited by Alpinerunner

From what I was told from someone that's with Croton FD, Code 2 is responding with lights and minimal siren. Siren is primarily used while approaching intersections.

Your description of Code 2 is outlawed, at least in New York State. If your lights are on, your siren must be on.

Can you quote that?

Now, if you want to exercise the rights of an emergency vehicle under V&T Section 1104, then yes you need lights and an audible device. But if you are doing 50 in a 55 mph zone I don't believe there is any issue in using lights only.

this is true first thang they teach you in e.v.o.c if the lights are on the siren is on now tell that to all the cops who fly up rt 9w and 44/55 or rt.9 then get to a light then just tap there siren and get right on your a** if i herd you comeing i would have moved already i agree with you but in my dept. at night when there no cars on the rd and we have a few rd's. to go threw before we get to a main rd. with homes we wate till the end to wind it up day time my foot does not come off it till im at the call

and in dutchess we only use code 1 and code 3 unless a chief calls us on are channel and tells us but 98% of the time we are going code 3 at a slower speed

From the NYS VTL Section 1104

§ 1104. © Except for an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle or bicycle, the exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle while in motion by bell, horn, siren, electronic device or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary, and when the vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted lamp so that from any direction, under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle, at least one red light will be displayed and visible.

While I've always heard the "lights on siren on" rule as well, a strict reading of the VTL seems to suggest otherwise

Not true...read the rest below. I know far too many evoc and CEVO instructors that spit this out as fact when its clearly not the case and nowhere does it say that in V&T section 1104 which governs emergency response.

this is true first thang they teach you in e.v.o.c if the lights are on the siren is on now tell that to all the cops who fly up rt 9w and 44/55 or rt.9 then get to a light then just tap there siren and get right on your a** if i herd you comeing i would have moved already i agree with you but in my dept. at night when there no cars on the rd and we have a few rd's. to go threw before we get to a main rd. with homes we wate till the end to wind it up day time my foot does not come off it till im at the call

That's funny...because is not the first thing I teach in my EVOC class...nor did I hear that in any instructor certification course I took to teach it..or assist with for new instructors. And apparently they didn't teach you in your EVOC that PD is exempted from having to use a siren in Section 1104. Nor perhaps they didn't explain that a Q is most effective when it cycles because it hits a wide range of sound frequencies..but by all means...keep winding it up....

Can you quote that?

Now, if you want to exercise the rights of an emergency vehicle under V&T Section 1104, then yes you need lights and an audible device. But if you are doing 50 in a 55 mph zone I don't believe there is any issue in using lights only.

You sir are correct..you need to have a siren activated in conjunction with the use of lights as stated above when you are utilizing the exemptions granted in V&T Sec. 1104. AS MAY BE REASONABLY NECESSARY. If you are not for the most part...doing something that if in your POV would be illegal...you do not have to have a siren activated. The only thing that is not granted no matter what...is you cannot pass a school bus under any circumstance in NY state..and in fact it says you cannot in NFPA 1500.

There is no such thing...as Code 2...its either an emergency..or it is not.

Your insults against Law Enforcement would hold a lot more weight if you used proper grammar, spelling, understood the VTL as it pertains to the use of emergency lights and sirens by Law Enforcement vehicles, and cited the proper syllabus for the EVOC course, as ALS has so kindly pointed out to you.

helicopper likes this

From what I was told from someone that's with Croton FD, Code 2 is responding with lights and minimal siren. Siren is primarily used while approaching intersections.

Wrong.

We used to use Code One and Code Two. The Code One was lights & sirens and the Code Two was nothing. When the push was here to go to clear text, we dropped this and use Emergency and Non-Emergency mode.

Some calls are automatically a non-emergency response. This includes CO w/ no symptoms, fluid spills, PD assists, EMS assists, and some other service calls. More often than not, once a Chief arrives on scene and verifies that there is no life hazard or other legit emergency in progress, the incoming units will get the "Non-Emergency response" order.

In most cases - and I think this applies to a lot of us - we don't save much time lighting it up.