Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
texastom791

Brewster FD accepting bids for ambulance service

46 posts in this topic

This was in the free news paper that's in putnam county but I found it online. According to the article they're looking for a commercial service to provide them with a daytime crew from 6am to 6pm monday through friday of 2 emts.Here's a link to it for anyone that's interested. http://brewstersoutheastjfd.com/events

SUPPLEMENTAL EMERGENCY AMBULANCE SERVICES

The Board of Fire Commissioners (the "District") seeks to contract with an ambulance company/entity for the provision of professional Emergency Medical Technician ("EMT") services to the residents of the District as a supplement to the volunteer ambulance services being provided by Brewster Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. (the "BFD").

The District intends to contract with an ambulance company/entity to provide two (2) EMT personnel for daytime shifts between the hours of six (6) o'clock am to six (6) o'clock pm, Monday through Friday, for fifty-two (52) weeks per year.

The ambulance company/entity must be able to enter into a contract with the District that provides as follows:

(i) Each EMT provided shall be certified by the NYS Dept. of Health; have a minimum of two (2) years of EMS experience; and have met NIMS and ICS requirements;

(ii) Each EMT provided shall have a valid driver's license;

(iii) The ambulance company/entity shall be responsible for the payment of wages and payroll taxes, employee benefits, workers' compensation, and other administrative charges and costs to the EMT provided;

(iv) Each EMT provided shall also perform ordinary and necessary and/or appropriate tasks such as washing and cleaning the ambulances and bays, daily equipment and rig checks, decontamination of equipment and oxygen bottle replacement when needed;

(v) The company/entity shall carry Commercial General Liability; Professional Liability and an Umbrella/Excess policy of insurance in amounts no less than $3,000,000;

(vi) The company/entity shall be able to comply with the Administrative Simplification Section of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as codified at 42 U.S.C. & 1302d through d-8.

(vii) Any contract must contain a provision that provides for its cancellation for any reason or no reason by either party upon thirty days notice to the non-cancelling party.

All bids received pursuant to this notice will be publicly opened and read at the Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 meeting of the District at 7:00pm, which meeting shall be held at the Brewster Fire Department Substation, Route 312 and N. Brewster Road, Brewster, NY 10509.

All bids must be accompanied by a certificate executed pursuant to section 103 of the General Municipal Law of the State of New York, which certificate may be obtained on the District's website at www.brewstersoutheastjfd.com.

The Board of Fire Commissioners of the Brewster-Southeast Joint Fire District reserve the right to reject any and all bids offered.

Noncollusive_bidding_form.pdf

Richard Hiss, Secretary

Board of Fire Commissioners

Brewster-Southeast Joint Fire District

All of these VAC's going paid almost makes me want to recert my EMT and pick up some side work.

Not.

Good luck to Brewster with this new endeavor, I hope it serves you well.

In my opinion once this is final. It's only a matter of time before either the county takes over ems and gives the contract to a commercial agency or all of the other vacs/fd go to some type of paid system for ems at least during the day if not 24/7. Weather it be through a commercial agency or they take it upon themselves to hire their own outside people to come in and staff.

Edited by texastom791

So what happens to BLS4, which is staffed by Transcare from 0600 to 2200 hours, and covers Brewster, Lake Carmel, Patterson and Putnam Lake? This is not in the Putnam contract IIRC, but was proposed by the county, and agreed to by Transcare as long as in would make a profit. There some rumors floating around that if Brewster elects to pull out of BLS4, that it(BLS4) may be eliminated leaving a gigantic hole in EMS coverage on the East side of Putnam County. Why not take a county level approach like the medics, or is this just "we want the ambulance to say Brewster on it" when it arrives to a call. Is Brewster planning a tax increase to cover this service, is there extra money in the current budget?

All of these VAC's going paid almost makes me want to recert my EMT and pick up some side work.Not.Good luck to Brewster with this new endeavor, I hope it serves you well.

I do....for real...it would be nice to get out of "the chair"..

In my opinion once this is final. It's only a matter of time before either the county takes over ems and gives the contract to a commercial agency or all of the other vacs/fd go to some type of paid system for ems at least during the day if not 24/7. Weather it be through a commercial agency or they take it upon themselves to hire their own outside people to come in and staff.

Why would a County want to take something on that commercials companies are fighting each other for? Just like you said - they may award a county wide system to a commercial...which would make sense..IF you could get everybody on board.

And one last point; I feel that once an agency hires paid EMS personel, they can no longer use the "VAC" moniker...

BFD1054 likes this

Is Brewster planning a tax increase to cover this service, is there extra money in the current budget?

Since last night the state senate passed the property tax cap and the gov. said he will sign it. Fire districts, Local and County governments and schools will not be allowed to increase taxes more then 2% (and most will need to do that just to pay fuel increases, insurance increases, tax certiorari, etc.)

Since last night the state senate passed the property tax cap and the gov. said he will sign it. Fire districts, Local and County governments and schools will not be allowed to increase taxes more then 2% (and most will need to do that just to pay fuel increases, insurance increases, tax certiorari, etc.)

Barry, I know you see the tax cap as a death knell for small local municipalities and districts but a Quinnipiac poll shows that 79% of New Yorkers favor it.

Barry, I know you see the tax cap as a death knell for small local municipalities and districts but a Quinnipiac poll shows that 79% of New Yorkers favor it.

Of course people favor it, but did Quinnipiac ask if people would accept increases in fees (that are not tax deductable) and reductions in service to cover the tax cap?

How many municipalities in NYS understand what this will mean? New Rochelle is the only one who has lived thru it.

I wonder how many municipal workers and the mighty teachers union understand that also included in this package is contract arbitrators must consider ability to pay as the primary issue, so managment just has to show the tax cap and the arbitrater will have to force salary reductions to pay for increases in benefits.

First off, kudos to Brewster for realizing they have a staffing issue and actually doing something about it. I wish them well and hope that this endeavor works well for them.

Secondly, x129k brings up a good point. This is something i too have wondered for a while. When a VAC starts using paid staff, should they still be considered a "VAC?" Sorry to hijack the thread, im just curious.

I know of some "VAC's" with paid staffing that still send out donation envelopes playing the volunteer card, is this proper?

Will this affect Brewster's participation in the county mutual aid plan from 0600 - 1800 hrs. M - F? Isn't it possible that the surrounding VAC's who also have staffing issues during these hours will cause the Brewster paid crew to be covering many out of district calls at the expense of the Brewster Fire District? ... BTW, I'm totally in favor of VFD's & VAC's having paid personnel on duty to provide immediate emergency response (Fire - Rescue - EMS) during times when insufficient staffing is an issue.

BFD1054 likes this

Will this affect Brewster's participation in the county mutual aid plan from 0600 - 1800 hrs. M - F? Isn't it possible that the surrounding VAC's who also have staffing issues during these hours will cause the Brewster paid crew to be covering many out of district calls at the expense of the Brewster Fire District? ... BTW, I'm totally in favor of VFD's & VAC's having paid personnel on duty to provide immediate emergency response (Fire - Rescue - EMS) during times when insufficient staffing is an issue.

It happens daily in some areas.....and you are right..it is an abuse.

Communities that pay for paid staff and coverage shouldn't be sending their ambulance to other communities in my oppinion. I know that in Northern Westchester this has been an issue as of late. If a community is paying to ensure proper coverage for their community that ambulance should stay in that community and not bailing out other agencies who can't guarantee a response. If they can't guarantee a response they should supplement their staffing.

Communities that pay for paid staff and coverage shouldn't be sending their ambulance to other communities in my oppinion. I know that in Northern Westchester this has been an issue as of late. If a community is paying to ensure proper coverage for their community that ambulance should stay in that community and not bailing out other agencies who can't guarantee a response. If they can't guarantee a response they should supplement their staffing.

But...being part of a mutual aid agrrement prohibits that...at least for now.

x1243 likes this

It wouldn't be a problem if communities didn't abuse mutual aid....

This is something that needs to be handled on a case by case basis. The leaders in community A need to have a talk with community B and address the issue. Across the board decisions to with hold resources just because they're paid violates the letter and spirit of mutual aid agreements. How is that any different than a volunteer agency refusing to go for fear of burning out their reliable members?? Paid or not these are still valuable resources to the community that is counting on them to respond.

This is why BLS4 was established. A problem staffing a BLS bus was recognized. So again if Brewster is going their own way, what will happen to the existing paid BLS bus?

Edited by grumpyff

This is why BLS4 was established. A problem staffing a BLS bus was recognized. So again if Brewster is going their own way, what will happen to the existing paid BLS bus?

Yes, and who pays for BLS4? Is that part of the County's ALS contract or is it strictly a revenue recovery supported unit?

If BLS4 is paid or even just subsidized by the County, it is being subsidized by people who don't benefit from the service (Philipstown, Putnam Valley, Kent, most of Carmel).

And the taxpayers in Southeast and Patterson pay taxes for their community based services AND the commercial BLS unit.

Then they should collaborate and share combined resources so that the volume is adequately covered without a drain or "abuse" of any single community.

If there are abuses of mutual aid then, as others have already suggested, fix it. But if you want to say you can't have mine because I'm paying for it, I'll point out that we're paying for the VAC's and VFD's also so the point is moot.

And one last point; I feel that once an agency hires paid EMS personel, they can no longer use the "VAC" moniker...

I agree 100%, goes along the lines with agencies that use "Paramedic Service(s)" in their names, even if they have BLS units, the citizen's don't know the difference, but that is a horse of a different color.

My basic point, I feel things like that are misleading.

bls 4 isnt always available, transcare can pull the unit whenever they want to do private transports because the county doesnt pay for them

BLS 4 is already used on private transports so its there based on availability. But I would imagine BLS 4 would be used to cover second calls in Brewsters district should the 2nd bus not crew.

AFAIK BLS4 is paid for through billing since it is not in the Putnam contract, and has been doing transports where possible to increase its cost effectiveness. There is a possibility that BLS4 will cease to exist if Brewster goes thru with their plan. With all the talk of consolidation and county run EMS systems that goes on in this board, I am surprised to see all the support here for a competing service, that is neither of these things. At one time there was talk of forming a 'BLS3' which never came to be due to lack if need.

Edited by grumpyff

Technically, BLS3 exists. Medic3 has an EMT during the days and can transport when the BLS agencies are unable to crew.

Technically, BLS3 exists. Medic3 has an EMT during the days and can transport when the BLS agencies are unable to crew.

Glad to see Brewster is finally looking at the problem, several agencies on the east side of the county have had more issue with coverage, than others. The call volume is always going to be on the East Side where the dense population is. If agencies cover calls the need to move Medic 2 significantly out of its assigned coverage area to the East Side goes down.

Transcare starting in a few weeks.

Transcare starting in a few weeks.

What are the particulars?

One crew? Days or 24 hours? Weekdays or 7 days?

But...being part of a mutual aid agrrement prohibits that...at least for now.

Exactly, if not you might as well throw your mutual aid plan out the winder.....

Edited by x1243

What are the particulars?

One crew? Days or 24 hours? Weekdays or 7 days?

To the best of my knowledge it is 06:00-18:00 Monday thru Friday, 2 EMT's.