Followers 0
firedude

Stamford's Old Tower 2 up Auction

25 posts in this topic

1996 Sutphen TS-100 Fire Truck

VIN# 1S9A3JFE2T1003007, 50640 mi, 7911 hrs, CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN ONLY

post-17100-0-94863700-1309905854.jpg

Photo courtesy of Auctions International

Detroit 8V92TA diesel engine. Auto transmission. Starts runs & drives/operates. 2WD. 11R22.5 tires in good condition. Dual axle. In overall good condition. Pump: QSMG-150-23-S, 1500 GPM, 100-ft ladder. Some equipment may be removed (hoses, ladders, air packs, as pictured) Bidders are encouraged to talk to contact & to inspect. Boom inspection expired Sept. 2010. Keys are not needed as the truck is started with a push button mechanism.

Item sold subject to seller approval after bids close. For payments made with cash, money order, wire-transfer or guaranteed funds, a buyer’s premium of 10% will be added to the high bid price. A 13% non-discounted buyer's premium will be added to the high bid price for payments made with credit cards, debit cards, personal or business checks. Applicable sales tax(es) will be charged on all items. All sales are final. No refunds will be issued. Item sold as-is, where-is, with no warranty written or implied. Buyer responsible for inspecting the items before placing bids, and prompt removal of all items in each lot within ten business days after receipt of invoice. Items left on seller's premises after this removal deadline will be subject to repossession, with no refunds issued.

QUESTIONS & INSPECTION: Please contact Mike, Art or Steve at 203-977-5714. Vehicle located at 100 Magee Avenue, Stamford, CT 06904.

Auction Page with more Photos

Edited by firedude
x635 and x129K like this

Wasn't this truck being kept as a spare?

Yes, Seth. It was . Stress the "was". Not like it's important to have a spare TL around...

Yes, Seth. It was . Stress the "was". Not like it's important to have a spare TL around...

hey when then fleet is in the shape it is now why would you need a spare? (sarcasm)

There is good money in scrap metal these days. B)

Don't sweat it, there is a REAL tower ladder in town, it's white, says Aerialscope on the boom and is always ready, willing and able to join the party when called....:P

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Don't sweat it, there is a REAL tower ladder in town, it's white, says Aerialscope on the boom and is always ready, willing and able to join the party when called....:P

Cogs

Word.

post-20588-0-35753400-1309954170.jpg

post-20588-0-29635900-1309954371.jpg

Edited by sqd47bfd
FFPCogs and sfrd18 like this

Word.

post-20588-0-35753400-1309954170.jpg

post-20588-0-29635900-1309954371.jpg

Now THAT'S a tower ladder.

Often imitated, never duplicated. When it counts call on an Aerialscope to get the job done right the first time...every time.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
dadbo46 likes this

so Cogs since it a real tower ladder, i have heard rumors that 45 is going to refurb again any truth to that? would that make it the 4th or 5th time that has been done.

Tommy

so Cogs since it a real tower ladder, i have heard rumors that 45 is going to refurb again any truth to that? would that make it the 4th or 5th time that has been done.

Tommy

To the best of my knowledge that's not in the works, but in all fairness I'm currently in Afghan working so I'm somewhat out of the loop and get news sporadically. But if in fact it's needed (which I doubt at this time) and the membership chooses to pursue another refurb I'm all for it. That rig gets just about anywhere and continues to perform faithfully. Best money the BFD ever spent as far as I'm concerned. To think I was opposed to buying it back in '83...thank God wiser heads prevailed.

Cogs

Cogs

You guys are going to start running automatic mutual aide city wide?

We do a fair amount of running now since we have auto responses to TOR and Springdale for any report of smoke and/or fire in a structure, plus our own runs. If memory serves we are also still the 1st due mutual aid truck for downtown in the event that another Truck Co. becomes necessary there. As far as expanding those roles go, as I said I'm somewhat out of the loop presently but to the best of my knowledge no changes are planned.

Also if memory serves, as it now stands we have not missed any calls when requested, (automatically or otherwise) and in fact have worked on numerous occasions with SFRD at fires. Like I said always ready, willing and able.

As for old Truck 2, well I'm sure someone will snap it up..after all an imitation tower ladder is better than none at all.....:P

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

My memory is still pretty good and I can recall the BFD Aerialscope being used quite nicely at fires in Stamford. Before, we get into a nice “beasty contest” here, although some are longer, the BFD truck succeeds in its ability to position.

Most recently at a fire on Minivale in Springdale, where it positioned on a neighbor’s driveway and a couple of inches off of the neighbor’s house (I have a nice photo of it, but can’t find it). East Main Street in 99, Canal Street in 07....and plenty of others.....I am not going to let my SFRD bias get in the way of giving credit where it is due.

And I think there was a lot of internal support from the SFRD members to get an Aerialscope for the new T1, prior to an executive decision made to get the Sutphen???

Now back to the first question, why is it being auctioned? Was this the Department’s decision or opinion....no (need I say more).

FFPCogs likes this

Now back to the first question, why is it being auctioned? Was this the Department's decision or opinion....no (need I say more).

I was wondering the same thing.

Truck 45 could have been used at Deep Valley Trail fire, but, alas, the IC "did not want to wake up those guys at such a late hour".

FFPCogs likes this

And I think there was a lot of internal support from the SFRD members to get an Aerialscope for the new T1, prior to an executive decision made to get the Sutphen???

If HME made a midmount tower, that would have been the choice for replacement (joking). But just drive down the Post road...there's a nice new Aerialscope in Darien.......

Edited by LineCapt

Are we going to be allowed to operate as a first due truck should?

So, if Truck 1,2, or 3 goes out of service, what do those companies use? I remember years back, Stamford Fire-Rescue being in a dire situation with their ladders, if someone could refresh my memory about that...

We still have the old truck 2 to use as a reserve truck company. It is labelled as Truck 4, and is a 75' Sutphen Midmount. The old tower, designated as Truck 5, was to be used as a spare for the current tower ladder. So if TL1 goes out of service, they get a midmount 75' stick with not a lot of compartment space.

Are we going to be allowed to operate as a first due truck should?

Is the truck fully staffed ( 4 interior qualified firefighters)?

I would assume you'd operate in the fashion as directed by the IC.

The truck has 6 seats, I would deem it "fully staffed" with 6 interior qualified firefighters.

Which, I have seen on a regular basis, T45 respond with all seats full.

And we left qualified guys behind in the barn.

Kinda nice, dontchathink?

On to the IC comment, without good strategy and tactics, an IC can end up micromanaging, which I think is counterproductive.

This is how we get the truck stretching the backup line and a 2nd or 3rd due engine on the roof.

My link

FFPCogs likes this

The truck has 6 seats, I would deem it "fully staffed" with 6 interior qualified firefighters.

Which, I have seen on a regular basis, T45 respond with all seats full.

And we left qualified guys behind in the barn.

Kinda nice, dontchathink?

On to the IC comment, without good strategy and tactics, an IC can end up micromanaging, which I think is counterproductive.

This is how we get the truck stretching the backup line and a 2nd or 3rd due engine on the roof.

My link

I concur with Sqd47bfd. We regularly run with 6 qualified, certified interior FFs with more to spare back at the house,and we have always performed our job efficiently and effectively just as our training has taught us.

And as far as the IC goes, we will do what the IC asks for unless our Officer feels that to do so would endanger the crew or any possible victims. We know our job and we train relentlessly to maintain a high standard in our Truck Co. Ops, along with all the other fireground functions we may be called upon to perform...and we are quite proud of that fact and of the dedication of our membership in maintaining those high standards

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Anyways,

Back to the original topic,

I agree it is foolish to get rid of this truck.

You will not get a lot of money for it, and it is valuable as a spare.

And, if needed it can be manned with call-back personnel if there is a major event or events going on all at the same time in the city.

What good is calling back personnel if you dont have a machine to put them on?

51k miles is not that many for a 15 year old TL, especially one from one of the largest and busiest city in CT.