Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
texastom791

Responding lights and sirens on bridges

16 posts in this topic

While at work the other day I was having a discussion with my partner about responding to calls. He had told me that it is illegal to use your siren on a bridge. Can anyone shed some light on this is this a true statement?

While at work the other day I was having a discussion with my partner about responding to calls. He had told me that it is illegal to use your siren on a bridge. Can anyone shed some light on this is this a true statement?

Illegal? I've never heard that.

Neither have I that's why I'm asking the question. This was the first time I've heard this.

Can't park on a bridge, never heard of the siren thing before.

Calling Mythbusters, The Emergency Service Version.

Maybe Bnechis will see this post and have the answer. If its legit maybe it has to do with the fact that on some bridges there is no way to give the right of way and by coming up on someone with lights and sirens you could cause them to panic and just stop dead in their tracks, blocking any further progress. Just a thought.

NYS Vehicle And Traffic Law:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/srgvat.pdf

No, there is no law on that.

(Personally) An emergency vehicle operator should drive in a reasonable and prudent mannor and adjust to the roadway. In a case like the TZ Bridge, you'll probaly go slower if you use lights and sirens, and increase potential for an MVA. And when going at highway speeds, many people can't even hear a siren, so in a lot of cases on highways, it's just easier to turn the lights and siren off anyway.

If its legit maybe it has to do with the fact that on some bridges there is no way to give the right of way and by coming up on someone with lights and sirens you could cause them to panic and just stop dead in their tracks, blocking any further progress. Just a thought.

This might be a good example of being a trained emergency vehicle operator vs. an experience one. As you nicely pointed out, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. An operator should be able to fathom that even on a long bridge such as the TZ (up North anyway)the speed gain would likely barely be noticeable yet the risk would be far greater given the average motorist may have no clue what they should do.

Tappan Zee Bridge is a nightmare when it backs up. When traffic is not moving the only hope is the siren. The driver in front of you knows you're there, but the people 20 cars ahead need to know you're trying to get through. Usually the first one or two trucks or ambulances get through, but then cars fill the lane behind you and pack it in even tighter.

That's why it's best for a responce from both ends.

But siren wise, you feel like a moron sitting there, not moving and the siren is blasting. Again, hopefully the cars ahead hear it and try to move over.

This might be a good example of being a trained emergency vehicle operator vs. an experience one. As you nicely pointed out, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. An operator should be able to fathom that even on a long bridge such as the TZ (up North anyway)the speed gain would likely barely be noticeable yet the risk would be far greater given the average motorist may have no clue what they should do.

This an be said of most emergency responses be it over land or sea.

antiquefirelt likes this

In my FD DDC it was taught that there is a law against changing lanes on or 50 before any bridge. IF that is true, and it does not allow a yielding exception, that could be a misinterpretation by the parner: It would not be illegal to use the siren, it would be illegal for drivers to yield to it.

I agree, there does not appear to be any law and for sure common sense, there is no where to go so why drive people nuts or scare them by sitting on the siren?? That said, I do know that that TBTA PD have asked ambulances not to use sirens on their bridges. I'M not sure of the reason that was given...but again common sense the most bridges on are narrow enough as it is, why give yourself another headache?

If it's a TBTA pd rule like you said than I can see how he may have been confused. It also makes sense that there is no place for a car to go on a bridge so why bother even using it.

There are times to use sirens and times not to. The TBTA ask you to only use them when necessary and especially when not entering the toll plaza. It traffic is packed or flowing they're not practical, but when traffic slowed especially by gawkers it is useful.

In my FD DDC it was taught that there is a law against changing lanes on or 50 before any bridge. IF that is true, and it does not allow a yielding exception, that could be a misinterpretation by the parner: It would not be illegal to use the siren, it would be illegal for drivers to yield to it.

If the pavement markings or signage prohibits it, it may be illegal to change lanes on a bridge but there is no blanket law applying to bridges (in NYS).

I agree, there does not appear to be any law and for sure common sense, there is no where to go so why drive people nuts or scare them by sitting on the siren?? That said, I do know that that TBTA PD have asked ambulances not to use sirens on their bridges. I'M not sure of the reason that was given...but again common sense the most bridges on are narrow enough as it is, why give yourself another headache?

There are times to use sirens and times not to. The TBTA ask you to only use them when necessary and especially when not entering the toll plaza. It traffic is packed or flowing they're not practical, but when traffic slowed especially by gawkers it is useful.

On many of the TBTA bridges and tunnels there are pavement markings and signage making lane changes illegal so people bouncing from lane to lane to pass like a moron is enforceable.

Bottom line, use good judgement and common sense.