Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Man taken to hospital for 2nd degree sun burns

13 posts in this topic

I'v seen borderline second/third degree burns from the Sun.

I'v seen borderline second/third degree burns from the Sun.

Chief, were any of them members of "The Jersey Shore" crew? :P:rolleyes:

I didn't even know 2nd degree sunburns were possible....but I can totally understand it!

Man taken to hospital for 2nd degree sun burns

http://www.kvue.com/...pen%2C_resizeMe

I know someone who had a second degree sunburn. Excrutiatingly painful and he too required medical treatment.

Sunscreen, anyone?

I personally had 2nd degree sunburn, was wearing spf 45 sunblock but was in pool the entire day. Being in the pool the entire day was my downfall because i didnt realize i was getting burnt

Been there, done that. Drove to Myrtle Beach the night I got the cast off my leg (which had been on for 10 weeks). After driving all night and setting up camp, went down to the beach where I promptly fell asleep for a couple hrs. Woke up with 2nd and even some 3rd degree burns from below my knee to my ankle. Spent a couple hrs at the ER, and the rest of my "vacation" in the shade. Even the wind blowing hurt.

Chief, were any of them members of "The Jersey Shore" crew? :P:rolleyes:

Didn't know you could get 1st, or 2nd degree burns from spray-tan...

BFD1054 likes this

Not many things more uncomfortable than a really bad sunburn.

2nd degree sunburns are actually a lot more common than most people think. Too many people underestimate the power of the sun. It is great to spend time under the hot summer sun but you MUST know how the sun affects you. Too many times, I have come across people who took a nap outside and woke up with really bad burns. Like another poster said, being in water for prolonged periods under the hot sun cane be very harmful to your body. I always think about this when I am at the beach, pool, or lake and I see young children in the water all day.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

In the early summer we'll usually get a few junkies and methadone patients who nod out in the sun only to wake up with some serious sunburns. They're easy burns to misjudge the severity as the burns can go extremely deep and still leave the surface intact. One guy had substantial full thickness burns across his chest and forehead that the transporting crew just thought were first and second degree burns. He wound up getting a transfer to Cornell a few hours later.

My son found out at the beginnig of summer. 6 hours in the pool at a party. Sunblock washed off .... 2nd degree burn to the upper arm (although the first Dr to see it thought it was 3rd degree). Screwed up camp plans for the first couple of weeks.

I think the lesson was learnt though - plenty of sunscreen since then.

Myrtle Beach got me a few years back as well...day 1 of a 2 week vacation...I lost so much skin it was disgusting...still have some scars.

Safest bet is to stay covered up and don't stay out in the sun all day. Take it from a pasty Irish guy. 2nd degree sunburn, sun stroke and sun poisoning is not fun.

PFDRes47cue likes this

Safest bet is to stay covered up and don't stay out in the sun all day. Take it from a pasty Irish guy. 2nd degree sunburn, sun stroke and sun poisoning is not fun.

I've read some interesting articles about this from Mike Geary. I've read a lot of his articles and they all seem sound to me.

I'll link them below, but for those who won't read them, I'll summarize.

1) Vitamin D is very important in disease fighting and cancer fighting.

2) Most people are vitamin D deficient for two reasons

a) The animals from which we get meat nowadays (cows and chickens) are kept indoors and do not get vitamin D producing sun

B ) People have been told that sun is evil and will give you cancer

3) Nationality (skin pigmentation) and current location have a lot to do with how much sun you need and vitamin D you have. Generally, someone from a lower lattitude will have darker skin (Italy, Africa) to protect and compensate for higher sun exposure. Someone from a higher lattitude (Germany, Ireland) will have lighter skin to help absorb more sun/D due to being farther from the equator.

If you move to an area other than your ancestry is from, you should note whether you might be over or under exposed to the sun.

Sun and food: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-food-supply.html

Sun and health: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/sun-exposure-and-health.html

Sun and skin pigmentation and lattitude: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/latitude-vitamin-d-deficiency.html

Enjoy!

Edited by Alpinerunner