Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJB531

Westchester County Emergency Services Commissioner Resigns

16 posts in this topic

Oh, this should be interesting to say the least.....I don't like this, I get bad vibes.

Tony Sutton was always good in my book....I worked for him for a while.....he came to my Probie School graduation to personally present me with my certificate. He really set the foundation for Port Chester-Rye-Rye Brook EMS to be a progressive agency.

NEWS RELEASE

Ned McCormack, Communications Director (914) 995-2932

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Aug. 11, 2011

COMMISSIONER OF EMERGENCY SERVICES SUTTON RESIGNS FROM COUNTY

Astorino praises the job he did to help keep county safe

Commissioner of Emergency Services Anthony Sutton, who has held the position since 2003, has resigned effective midnight on Aug. 20, County Executive Robert P. Astorino announced today.

“In the aftermath of 9/11, Tony worked tirelessly to upgrade the county’s emergency preparedness, and he has been our go-to person for all kinds of emergencies, including Indian Point, tropical storms, floods, fires and blizzards,” said Astorino. “The residents of this county are safer today thanks to Tony’s dedication and knowledge. Wherever he goes he will be a great asset.”

Said Sutton: “I am grateful that the administration placed its trust in me to lead the Department of Emergency Services. There is no question that today the citizens of Westchester County are more safe and better protected as a result of everything that I and my team have been able to accomplish during my 11 years with the county.”

Astorino announced that John M. Cullen, currently a deputy commissioner and fire coordinator, will serve as acting commissioner of emergency services. Cullen joined the department in January 2010, after serving two years as deputy commission of public safety for the city of White Plains. Prior to that, he was a firefighter for 25 years, retiring as a deputy fire chief. He is currently a volunteer firefighter with the Pleasantville Fire District.

“John Cullen is an outstanding professional with an extensive background, particularly with fire services and public safety,” said Astorino. “He has strong bonds with both the professional and volunteer firefighter communities. I have full confidence in his judgment and ability to deal with emergencies as they occur.”

-- more --

DES P. 2

Sutton came to the county government in 2000 as deputy commissioner, with primary responsibility in the department’s division of Emergency Management, Training, Communications and EMS. He was appointed commissioner of the department in 2003 by former County Executive Andrew J. Spano. In January 2010, when Astorino took office, he was one of a number of Spano-appointees retained.

The department of emergency services has a budget of $10.1 million. It has four divisions: Fire Services-Training Division, the Emergency Communications (60 Control), the Emergency Medical Services Coordination-Training and the Office of Emergency Management.

This is one of the saddest things I have seen in 30 years in the ES community. I wish Tony the best and hope his replacement can fill his shoes.

Bill

PS: Tony, you can always re-apply at you-know-where!

JM15 likes this

congrats to john cullen he will do a fine job and is a true firefighter both paid and volunteer ,he is what the county needs .wish him the best,

Sounds like Tony got the shaft, politics at its finest.

congrats to john cullen he will do a fine job and is a true firefighter both paid and volunteer ,he is what the county needs .wish him the best,

IN the words of some great people i have known over the years " TIME WILL TELL "

Edited by firegui

John Cullen is an excellent choice to lead DES, and I don't see why it needs to even be temporary...why not just appoint him Commisioner? What's going to happen to him after they find a new Commisioner though?

Another question is, was Tony Sutton forced out, either he didn't want to be part of Astorino's plan and stepped down, or was he forced to resign? Is this going to happen to any other talented and longtime DES staff members? Is DES going to regress?

And Henry Campbell, who was really brought in to take hold and and make things right as a consultant, was the man who was responsible for really turning things around and pointing DES in the right direction, after an article in the Journal News exposed the massive failings of the then the Department Of Fire Services under previous leadership.

The egos and "resist progress" nature of Fire and EMS in Westchester will always cause a failure to thrive for the Commisioner. I don't think even the best leader in the fire service, whoever that is in your opinion, could change anything in Westchester in the appropriate amount of time. There's too much "Nobody's going to tell me what to do" or local fire commisioners fear of losing control. This comment does not apply to Yonkers, Mount Vernon, White Plains or New Rochelle as they are unique and seperate career fire agencies, which, like in a hybrid system let's say Baltimore County for example, doesn't include Baltimore City. But you see these agencies and "combination" department's where volunteers don't really exist anymore all working together. And technically, White Plains is a combination department on paper.....but where are the volunteers in a suppresion or rescue capacity? Or a lot of departments that have no to little volunteers left, and use that as a reason to lower staffing? Who's going to take control of all this? Who has the power to push aside politics and really stand up and not be a puppet who fears for their job by being outspoken?

DPS also has very talented leadership, and I hope the same doesn't happen to anyone there.

I guess the future will tell.

(And to note, for those of you who don't know,just because I live in Texas now doesn't mean that I spent 28 years living and working in Westchester County in a variety of roles. I worked at 60 Control. I worked for Walter Groden, Henry Campbell, Patrick Kelly, and Tony Sutton. And there has ALWAYS been drama regarding the Commisioner in one way or the other.)

your right politics it is,henry was just as dick nagle was,but things happen when politics are involved,

Such is the life of a political appointee. Every time there is a change in elected officials, those in appointed positions run the risk of being replaced, not because they did anything wrong or aren't competent but simply because the new administration will fill the positions with their own.

Look at DC every four years. Most of the Executive Branch is replaced by each new president. Every time a Congressperson or Senator is elected they appoint their own new staff.

INIT915 likes this

Such is the life of a political appointee.

But it's not done like that in Westchester. It's done because someone has an agenda, and is going about it the wrong way.

But it's not done like that in Westchester

I believe Ray Rush would have disagreed with that observation. It has never been apolitical, we were just ignorned for a long time.

All the opposition is going to be suppresed

As quite a few of my fellow former fire advisory board members can tell you.

And, Sutton to be replaced suddenly, in the middle of the year? With no answers? Will he be replaced? How will Astorino present this to the taxpayers? Why will the DES leadership be wiped out potentially?

1) Either he will or he won't. People leave for many reasons and its rarely on day one of the year. 2) You rarely get an answer. 3)Astorino does not have too. 4) Wiped out?

And remember, Astorino isn't crawling down any hallways to make a rescue or put a fire out, or drawing his weapon hoping he doesn't get shot. He's looking at this financially, and the end result will affect those people he doesn't understand.

He is looking at it politically not financially. His transition committee found a number of cost savings in both DES & DPS and almost NONE of them have been implimented.

Appointed positions always raise the question if the appointee is qualified,if civil service rules do apply etc. Political patronage sometimes plays a major role in these positions and sometimes qualifications do make a difference with the selection of the persons involved. Its often obvious after a few months if that selected person is in over his/her head by what decisions are made when in the "Hot Seat".

This thread went off on some tangents with off-topic comments including some by me. After much deliberation, the staff deleted the off-topic and/or speculative comments that were causing concern and threatened to derail the topic completely.

Please keep this thread on topic and join me in wishing Commissioner Sutton all the best in his future endeavors and good luck to Acting Commissioner Cullen as he takes the reins of the Department.

Tony,

Best wishes for your continued success wherever life takes you!

Ned.