Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fl Ron

Groton Conneticut Sub Base Apparatus

20 posts in this topic

Here are views of the rigs that serve the Groton, CT. sub base. They were taken last month on a photo taking tour of this area. It was a rather damp day, but the pictures came out decently.

Engine 12

Ron

post-19996-0-49882200-1313525920.jpg

Edited by Fl Ron

Awesome shots, but where's the new tower?

nice pictures, thanks.... subs are in the water right ??? does the FD have any fire boats?

Ron, great shots, thank you for sharing!

I actually went by the Groton Sub Base this weekend. I took my wife to Rhode Island for our anniversary over the weekend. Ive always been curious about this base, so thanks for the pics.

The Sub Base FD is part of the New London County mutual aid system and is the primary Hazardous materials incident in the county (part of the C.E.R.R.I.T.). The department has 2 stations, headquarters is located on the "lower base" and Station 2 is located in the off base residential area located near Route 12.

The Department's call letter is "C" so on the radios the apparatus are C-11, C-21, C-15, C-100, C-200, ect. The first number is the station the unit is out of and the second tells the apparatus type (1-4 are pumpers, ETs, mini pumpers, service units; 5 is aerial device, 6 is EMS first responder, 7 is rescue or hazmat).

The Sub Base is also the FAST / RIT unit for part of the county.

sfrd18, firedude and markmets415 like this

Thats pretty awsome! So its staffed by full time navy FF's?

Thats pretty awsome! So its staffed by full time navy FF's?

No, they are civilian FFS but many of the members have served their country before being honorably discharged.

Here is the link to SBFD Local F-219's website: http://www.localf219.org/

I also forgot to add the work a 24 on / 24 off schedule with "Kelly Days".

No, they are civilian FFS but many of the members have served their country before being honorably discharged.

Thats a tough schedule... There are plenty of 24 on 48 or 72 off career jobs that still have kelly days.....

nice photos. thanks for sharing.

can u explain what "Kelly days" are

nice photos. thanks for sharing.

can u explain what "Kelly days" are

They've come to mean several things to different departments over the years... Purportedly introduced in the early half of the 20th century by Chicago Mayor Kelly, it is in its most simplistic form an extra day off at a predetermined point in your normal shift schedule. Some do it to avoid overtime, others to comply with labor laws, some just because it was lobbied for by the union.

The department that I was formerly involved in scheduled a Kelly day following your 6th consecutive shift worked to account for what should have been a Sunday off.... So if you took no vacation or sick leave and worked 24 on 48 off starting on the first of the month you would have an extra day off on the 19th which would be followed by your regularly scheduled 48 off.

Thanks for the info. Must be a great job

What's the navy region mid atlantic fire and emergency services ?

They've come to mean several things to different departments over the years... Purportedly introduced in the early half of the 20th century by Chicago Mayor Kelly, it is in its most simplistic form an extra day off at a predetermined point in your normal shift schedule. Some do it to avoid overtime, others to comply with labor laws, some just because it was lobbied for by the union.

The department that I was formerly involved in scheduled a Kelly day following your 6th consecutive shift worked to account for what should have been a Sunday off.... So if you took no vacation or sick leave and worked 24 on 48 off starting on the first of the month you would have an extra day off on the 19th which would be followed by your regularly scheduled 48 off.

thanks.

Great shots, Ron!