Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
voltage1256

How many civilians actually know to move over or slow down?

12 posts in this topic

I drove from Daytona Beach to Ft. Lauderdale today on I-95 and noticed if not every 10 miles, at least every 15 there was a sign on the side of the highway just like an exit sign, that was white and yellow and says "SLOW DOWN OR MOVE OVER FOR STOPPED EMERGENCY VEHICLES, IT'S THE LAW." I think it's nice to have, and to be honest, when I did see FHP on a traffic stop, people did move over or brake and slow down if they couldn't move. I know when New York first instated this law local news stations covered it to give the public an "announcement" about it, but I haven't really seen anyone abide by it. I am wondering does New York have plans to put up signs that remind drivers of the law? or have I just not seen them and they were put up? If they weren't..... what are we waiting for?

efdcapt115 likes this

In FL it has really taken hold. The public is aware and doing the right thing and LE is really cracking down on those who don't make an effort to create space between them and the emergency service agency on the roadside.

In FL it has really taken hold. The public is aware and doing the right thing and LE is really cracking down on those who don't make an effort to create space between them and the emergency service agency on the roadside.

After the last FHP Trooper was killed as he sat in his patrol car on the turnpike; rear-ended, Crown Vic burst into flames, they got this law up and running. Amazing how many people are still ignorant of it though.

These days the FHP is concentrating on nabbing people who flash their high-beams at on-coming traffic to alert motorists of a radar trap.

The days of helping other motorists in this fashion are, and should be, long gone. For all you know you could be alerting a wanted felon to slow down (amazing how many drug-runners are busted because they are speeding to begin with).

It's like the days of picking up hitch-hikers. Those days are long gone as well; for all you know and chances are the hitch-hiker could be a murderer on the run.

The nostalgic days of "Smokey and the Bandit" and C.B. radios have long faded into history. The highways have never been more dangerous than they are now.

Returning recently into the State of Florida from a trip to South Carolina; woman trying to flag down cars, with two men laying directly under the rear bumper looking at something under the car. suspicious looking (and no she hadn't just run them over) Now 20 years ago I might have stopped. Today the chances are just as good that the two guys laying down will jump up, rob you of your wallet and cell phone, and jack your car. Instead, we all have cell phones; dial 9-1-1 and let the cops handle it.

The only thing I'll still stop for is flames or an MVA with obvious injuries and no first responders on scene yet. Some things we just can't let go of.

Regarding the move-over law, I put my flashers on, move into the center-turning lane down here on the Overseas Highway and slow down to 25 in a 45 mph zone. Looking in my rear-view mirror it never fails to see idiots not moving over, not slowing down, etc.

The last 7 Monroe County Sheriffs (the Keys are Monroe County) killed on the job have been vehicular related.

billy98988 likes this

I think that when you renew your liscence you should have to take a informational course to be informed on the new v & t laws that have gone into effect since you renewed it the last time. It could be on the web with a quiz at the end. Once you pass the quiz you get a number, code etc that would allow you to continue the renweal process. Wouldn't take all that long and would update motorists.

helicopper, efdcapt115, OoO and 1 other like this

I think that when you renew your liscence you should have to take a informational course to be informed on the new v & t laws that have gone into effect since you renewed it the last time. It could be on the web with a quiz at the end. Once you pass the quiz you get a number, code etc that would allow you to continue the renweal process. Wouldn't take all that long and would update motorists.

Not a bad idea. have you contacted the commissioner of DMV? Only bad part is that New York renewals are 8 years, the list of changes could be quite lengthy.

DMV could mail you you the changes with your license or plate (only two years) renewal along with the type of plates they sell. Yes we get junk mail from DMV.

I think The public would scream bloody murder and elected official would cower in fear at any attempt to raise the standards, unless it was easy and cheap, like an online test? Easily cheated on though.

I was on the call in Yonkers where Trooper Ambrose http://www.trooperambrose.com/ was killed, also burned in his crown vic after a chain reaction started by an speeding intox. That call got the ball in NY rolling. One of those calls you carry around with you.

I have seen some people either slow down or move over.Others just don't know or care. Problem is trying to get those plate numbers to follow up with the Registered Owner or driver.

NYS is considering letting your 85 year old grandmother renew her license without a vision test, what makes us think they have the prudence to mandate something like a new VTL laws review.

Put up signs along the road, are you kidding NY is broke! It's a feel good law, a good press law for the politicians. They don't really care if someone dies just keep the traffic moving.

Yeah, my idea even though a possible good one will never take effect. However, there is an urgent need to update morotists on the new v & T laws that come out. HOw are you supposed to follow the law if you don't know it. I'm glad to hear the they have decided not to do away with the vision test. I have seen though NYS troopers inforcing the move over law on the Taconic a few times.

I have seen though NYS troopers inforcing the move over law on the Taconic a few times.

If the nuns at ICS could see how you spelled enforcing, they'd make you take some kind of test over.....