Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY's New High Volume Pumping Unit

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have any details on this unique piece of apparatus?

FDNY Special Ops Hi-Volume Pumping Unit, Roosevelt Island

Anyone have any details on this unique piece of apparatus?

http://www.flickr.co...N00/6196268758/

It doesn't look like it has a water cannon on top. It looks more like a Electric Generator truck then anything else. The FDNY replaced the Super Pumper with the small satellite truck. Besides the old Super Pumper had two trucks a tender and the pumper. This truck doesn't look like it can carry any hose, and unless the water cannon pops up from the inside of the truck it's not a pumper. That's why I assume it's a large Electric Generator Truck.

Possibly the pump/powerhouse unit for a modern day super pumper system? If so, a similar system was implemented in New Jersey a few years ago to move some serious water with 12 inch hose...

http://www.35fire.org/uasihose.htm

Neptune pump system video:

http://www.kidde-fire.com/utcfs/ws-465/Assets/Neptune.mpg

Edited by BedfordFire

From what I'm hearing on other forums they will be assigned to 2 of the Squad Companies as additional pieces (I don't want to say second pieces since they already have multiple pieces)

The vehicle discussed is part of the Department's Auxiliary Water System designed to replace damaged city water mains in major catastrophes. The system can also be used for large scale dewatering operations. The truck is a 2011 Kenworth T370 , equipped with a Stellar Industries Shuttle Hooklift system. The pumping unit is powered by a 200 hp Diesel engine and utilizes a floating hydraulic pump with output ranging from 1320 to 2905 GPM depending on pressure.

The system uses 8-inch hose leading to a wye with two six-inch Storz outlets to supply two 2000 GPM pumpers. Additional self-contained pumping systems are available and can be transported on Department hooklift trucks. Satellites and airport hose wagons have been issued six-inch LDH.

http://www.liquidtra.../hiflowpump.asp

Edited by Danger
M' Ave, PEMO3, efdcapt115 and 2 others like this

From what I'm hearing on other forums they will be assigned to 2 of the Squad Companies as additional pieces (I don't want to say second pieces since they already have multiple pieces)

Why would it go to the Squad companies, though? Don't they have enough to do as specialty companies. And where would it fit?

You would think it would go to an engine company, or stay with the SOC on Roosevelt Island.

I'm sure Joe will have photo and Jack will have the info in the next issue of FAJ, if it hasn't already been finished.

It doesn't look powerful enough to me, or half as cool as the old Mack tractor-trailers anyhow. :)

It doesn't look powerful enough to me, or half as cool as the old Mack tractor-trailers anyhow. :)

Not only is it powerful and well tested, it can do a whole lot more than the old super pumper system.

I watched this system operate in Europe 16 years ago and watching them drop it 200' off a bridge into the water and it moving water is impressive. They have used this system for 30+ years.

They use it to replace 10 or more pumpers for rural water supply. And its the basis for the 1,600gpm system on our Rescue 4.

The squads are getting (don't think they've arrived yet) smaller pickup mounted pump systems.

Video of new FDNY HydroSub 150.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF