Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Middletown Springs, Vermont - 1966 Maxim Ladder

6 posts in this topic

As many of you may or may not know, i spend a lot of time in Vermont, as that is where my wife if from. The Town is Middletown Springs and the local VFD is literally next door to my in-laws house. Some of my wifes family are members of the FD, including some ex-officers.

A couple years back, i helped them out at a structure fire. Since then, i have struck up a friendship with many of the members there.

If any of you have been to rural Vermont, then you know that its nothing like we're used to here. Most firehouse's are simply garages for the apparatus with little to no room for training or offices, etc. The Middletown Springs VFD is no different. They are "lucky" enough to have a meeting hall. However, the meeting hall is also where some of the rigs are stored. When the meeting hall is needed, 3 rigs have to be moved outside. These VFD's have very minimal budgets and rely heavily on fund-raising.

I was up there a few weeks ago for a family wedding and noticed a "new" piece of equipment at the FD; a Maxim ladder. This truck would definately be considered an antique here in the Hudson Valley.

I got the chance to take some pictures of the rig and talk to the Chief about it. It is a 1966 Maxim 100' straight stick that came from the Rock Hall, Maryland VFD. This rig was going to be scrapped before the MTSVFD found out about it. The MTSVFD Chief drove down to Maryland and drove the truck back to Vermont. It recently underwent a ladder test and passed with flying colors. Other than some minor repairs, the truck should be in service shortly. Im hoping it will be re-lettered and in-service the next time im up there so i can take some photos.

This "new" addition should serve Middletown Springs, as well as neighboring communities, very well. This area see's its fair share of chimney fires and an aerial unit would be a big help.

I mentioned earlier that i had the chance to help this FD with a structure fire a few years back. At one point, i asked the Chief if a ladder truck was coming. He replied that yes, one was on its way from Granville. Granville is actually in New York and had an easy 20 minute ride to the scene. Their ladder is/was a 65' (?) quint. The next closest Truck would be from the City of Rutland, a good 25-30 minute response time.

Enjoy the pictures.

post-32-0-71754300-1318264037.jpg

post-32-0-90378800-1318264126.jpg

post-32-0-56118400-1318264215.jpg

post-32-0-96082200-1318264300.jpg

post-32-0-19588500-1318264379.jpg

firedude, efdcapt115, TR54 and 2 others like this

THATS A Beaut!

It certainly is Dan! Maxim's have certainly stood the test of time.

Wow! Great find! I wish them good luck with it.

Thanks firedude.

The great thing about these trucks is that they were built to last; simple to operate and don't ahve all the electronics and bells and whistles that can break down on today's rigs. Good construction, minimal bells and whistles, and reliable... wish they would go back to this type of design thinking!

Well said! This is exactly what the Chief of Middletown Springs had said. No electronic BS to worry about. The stick is all hydraulically run. He said it is soo simple to run and very smooth. Many of the newer ladders are very "touchy," where as this one is more nimble.

This truck had a gas powered motor with a standard transmission. At somepoint, i believe the early 90s (?), it was changed over to an automatic transmission with a diesel motor.

x129K likes this

Its good to see a old Maxim, or any old fire truck, put back to good use.....I still think these trucks are more reliable and easier/cheaper to fix than all this new crap sold nowadays. If you ever get the opportunity when your back up that way grab some photos of the rest of Middletown Springs Fleet......I've always liked to see what these small towns in vermont use for equipment, many of them are unique/homemade rigs or rigs from other departments from southern new england or NY. When I was last up that way in 04' Ira, Tinmouth, Danby/Mt. Tabor, Castleton, and Hubbardton VT FD's (all near Middletown Springs) all had one or more rigs that came from other departments and were all the typical VT firehouse you describe, nobody was around Middletown Springs FD when I went through.

Its good to see a old Maxim, or any old fire truck, put back to good use.....I still think these trucks are more reliable and easier/cheaper to fix than all this new crap sold nowadays. If you ever get the opportunity when your back up that way grab some photos of the rest of Middletown Springs Fleet......I've always liked to see what these small towns in vermont use for equipment, many of them are unique/homemade rigs or rigs from other departments from southern new england or NY. When I was last up that way in 04' Ira, Tinmouth, Danby/Mt. Tabor, Castleton, and Hubbardton VT FD's (all near Middletown Springs) all had one or more rigs that came from other departments and were all the typical VT firehouse you describe, nobody was around Middletown Springs FD when I went through.

Kyle, you asked for more pictures of Middletown Springs apparatus, so here ya go. I apologize for taking so long to post them. They were on my wifes computer and i forgot about them.

First up is MTSVFD's First Response vehicle, a 200? GMC Yukon. Ambulance coverage into Middletown Springs is provided by the Poultney Rescue Squad. MTSVFD responds to all medical calls in MTS with this BLS fly-car.

post-32-0-62925300-1326563045.jpg

Here is just another picture of Middletown Springs "new" ladder truck.

post-32-0-95777400-1326563106.jpg

This is their rescue, which is on a 4x4 Chevy 5500 chassis. I am not sure who the body was built by. This rig was purchased pre-owned a couple of years ago.

post-32-0-48467800-1326563164.jpg

This is their Attack truck, a Pierce on a Dodge Powerwagon chassis.

post-32-0-45006300-1326563223.jpg

Another shot of their Rescue.

post-32-0-38407400-1326563282.jpg

Here is a shot of their ETA-531, a VTEC on Freightliner chassis. Sorry for the bad shot, was taken in the bay.

post-32-0-41127300-1326563333.jpg

The only rig missing is their ETA-532, which is on a 1970's(?) Chevy chassis if i remember correctly. It is kept in a very tight bay and getting a shot of it was near impossible.

Edited by BFD1054
billy98988 likes this