Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Turning The Tappan Zee Bridge Into The Next "High Line"

19 posts in this topic

Greenburgh Town Supervisor is proposing this.

Maybe we could buy Greenburgh PD the modern headquarters they deserve and a decent fleet of patrol cars first? Or maybe at least START construction of the new bridge first?

NYS CAN SAVE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS BY TURNING OLD TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE INTO A SUBURBAN HIGHLINE

Earlier this week President Obama approved Governor Cuomo’s request to expedite the construction of a new Tappan Zee bridge to replace the aging existing bridge. I am planning to form a committee to press NY State officials NOT TO demolish the old bridge when the new bridge is constructed and to turn the old Tappan Zee bridge into a suburban version of the NYC high line. If you are interested in joining the committee that is being formed to turn the old TZ bridge into a high line please e mail me at pfeiner@greenburghny.com. Our first meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 16th at Greenburgh Town Hall in the cafeteria (177 Hillside Ave) at 8 PM.

This proposal will save NYS many hundreds of millions of dollars since the state will not have to demolish the old bridge once the new bridge is built. The proposal to turn the bridge into a highline will make the bridge construction more exciting for environmentalists. The proposed new bridge does not include any initiative to promote public transportation (rail or rapid bus transportation-as was originally suggested). The old bridge will be used by pedestrians, cyclists, tourists. This concept will connect Westchester and Rockland together like it never has been connected—it will be more convenient for residents of both counties to walk or cycle across the bridge—to shop in local stores that they would never have patronized. The proposal to create a high line will encourage more tourism in our area. Tourists will take the train to Westchester so they can enjoy the high line experience.

The NYC high line is a public park built on a a 1.45-mile-long elevated rail structure running from Gansevoort Street to West 34th Street on Manhattan's West Side.

The High Line was a freight rail line, in operation from 1934 to 1980. It carried meat to the meatpacking district, agricultural goods to the factories and warehouses of the industrial West Side, and mail to the Post Office. The High Line, south of West 30th Street, is owned by the City of New York and is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Parks & Recreation. It was donated to the City by CSX Transportation, Inc. which still owns the northernmost section (West 30th Street - West 34th Street).The land beneath the High Line is owned in parcels by New York State, New York City, and more than 20 private property owners.

In NYC a Friends of the High Line has been formed to build and maintain an extraordinary public park on the High Line. They seek to preserve the entire historic structure, transforming an essential piece of New York's industrial past. They provide over 70 percent of the High Line's annual operating budget and are responsible for maintenance of the park, pursuant to a license agreement with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation. Through stewardship, innovative design and programming, and excellence in operations, they cultivate a vibrant community around the High Line. I anticipate that a Tappan Zee high line will receive most of their funding, once established, from a similar Friends group.

The High Line is a monument to the industrial history of New York's West Side. It offers an opportunity to create an innovative new public space, raised above the city streets, with views of the Hudson River and the city skyline. It also offers a hopeful model for industrial reuse for other cities around the world.

How was the High Line saved from demolition?

Friends of the High Line was founded in 1999 by two neighborhood residents, Joshua David and Robert Hammond, when the High Line was under threat of demolition. Friends of the High Line successfully worked with the administration of Mayor Bloomberg and the New York City Council to reverse a City policy favoring demolition. The High Line is preserved through a Federal mechanism called rail-banking in which preserves transportation corridors and allows them to be used as trails.

The public space blends plant life (reminiscent of the quiet contemplative nature of the self-seeded landscape and wild plantings that once grew on the unused High Line) with long, narrow "planks," forming a smooth, linear, virtually seamless walking surface. The public environment on the High Line contain special features, including a water feature, viewing platforms, a sundeck, and gathering areas to be used for performances, art exhibitions and educational programs.

I am very excited about this initiative. It will make living in Greenburgh, Westchester more fun! And a fun county is good for property values because quality of life factors into decisions—where to buy homes or open up businesses.

PAUL FEINER

Greenburgh Town Supervisor

If the bridge is not safe for cars, then it is not safe for pedestrians. Demolish the bridge sell it for scrap and put that money towards the cost of the new bridge.

It is unsafe. I am always amazed that the jumpers dont fall thru the holes, before they get to jump.

it will be more convenient for residents of both counties to walk or cycle across the bridge—to shop in local stores that they would never have patronized.

How long is the bridge? Who is gonna walk across it merely to go shopping? I could see MAYBE biking across. And this is all if it does not collapse first. Maybe the reduced weight will be ok since repairs will be easier when you are not dodging cars and trucks. Less weight means less wear. They are gonna need to start building some places to shop that are a bit closer to the bridge. As far as i can see it is still a hike after you get to Westchester to get to downtown Tarrytown. I am all for the new bridge and all but keeping or losing the old one really doesn't matter.

How about selling the bridge to investors who could afford to strengthen the structure and build housing directly on it? Thousands of good paying union construction jobs, union trade jobs to build the housing, maybe condos. Architects, civil engineers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians. Then the housing; the rich would pay anything for that view. A whole new tax base to support upgrading the emergency services in the area and the schools; on both sides of the river. More cops, firefighters, teachers and medics.

The economy needs big projects like this; a public/private works partnership where everybody gets something, and the local economy is the biggest beneficiary.

Come on Mr. Supervisor, if you're gonna dream, dream big.

Over the years Feiner has come up with some pretty wacky, off-the-wall ideas and this doozy is no different. While dreaming big dreams he leaves out the single most important part: who is going to pay?

The TZ bridge is way past it's intended life expectancy already, it's deteriorating faster than they can keep up with and that's having millions of toll dollars being thrown at it every year. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still floating!

Getting his name in the papers is Paul's job#1= Mission accomplished.

ny10570 likes this

How about selling the bridge to investors who could afford to strengthen the structure and build housing directly on it?.......Come on Mr. Supervisor, if you're gonna dream, dream big.

Sounds like the type of place you would live....oh yeh you do live along a long bridge with condos built along it......LOL :D

jack10562 likes this

Leave the bridge up so that the jumpers don't tie up traffic

He's got a point.

I actually think he's onto something that could be positive and bring business to the tarrytown area. Look at the Walkway Across the Hudson in Poughkeepsie with the volume it gets and it would add another great hudson river experience. The only downside that I see is that the TZ was built too low and a new bridge would allow for taller ships to have access up the river. Either way keeping it or building the new bridge I would like to see a pedestrian/bicycle right of way on the bridge much like the Brooklyn bridge has.

bigrig77 and Alpinerunner like this

I like the idea. I know there are lots of details to work out, but it would save on demo costs, and I doubt there are any plans to salvage the materials for the new bridge, since it's being built first.... I would also suggest that foot traffic would cause much less wear and tear than tractor-trailer traffic, and that the current structural stability would be acceptable to support foot traffic without major repairs.

Interesting tangent on a story I heard about the TZ bridge on NPR: There was a push recently to find out why it was built where it was, at the widest part of the Hudson, with the softest river bottom for the supports. Apparently, in the 50s, NYS Governor Dewey wanted to build the bridge to complete his NYS Thruway project. In spite of the higher cost compared to building it at a narrower location further south, in order to collect the toll fees to fund the Thruway (I-87) project, he had to build it outside of the NYC Port Authority's jurisdiction of a 25 mile radius from the Statue of Liberty.

If the old bridge is saved, then we'll have two bridges to maintain, right? Who's going to pay for the repair and upkeep of the "park bridge". It won't be the Thruway Authority unless they're allowed to have tolls for the pedestrians and bikes.

I can't support the idea of maintaining the old bridge as a park until someone can figure out the cost and who will be paying for it.

bigrig77 likes this

If the old bridge is saved, then we'll have two bridges to maintain, right? Who's going to pay for the repair and upkeep of the "park bridge". It won't be the Thruway Authority unless they're allowed to have tolls for the pedestrians and bikes.

I can't support the idea of maintaining the old bridge as a park until someone can figure out the cost and who will be paying for it.

I agree that the funding source will have to be established. For the NYC High Line, the article says it's 70% private and (I assume) 30% parks and rec. It's entirely possible that Westchester couldn't come up with the "Community Spirit" to fund the upkeep, but it's a thought.

It would allow the big groups that have runs, walks, ect to use a bridge without messing up traffic.

But....RIP IT DOWN!

It will allow taller ships to deliver to more locations north of Westchester, be safer, cheaper (not having to maintain it)

Add a wide enough walkway to the new bridge.

Just my opinion

Tear it down. Keeping it willcreate more expense and problems in the future. The point of scrapping it isnt for materials to build the new bridge but to recover some bridge costs.

Tear it down. Keeping it willcreate more expense and problems in the future. The point of scrapping it isnt for materials to build the new bridge but to recover some bridge costs.

I read somewhere they shipped all the steel from the Trade Center to China, where it got melted down and recycled. I imagine they'd do the same with the old bridge metal.

Sounds like the type of place you would live....oh yeh you do live along a long bridge with condos built along it......LOL :D

No Cap, it's actually a barrier reef that we live on, with many bridges (and retired firefighters and cops) along the way. Up on Key Largo there's a guy from your job; name is Lance S. Further West from us is the City of Marathon; another NRFD Brother by the name of "Copi" lives out there. You can find your way to Key West by hopping from one retiree's home to another and yes, crossing a few bridges along the way.

Bnechis likes this

No Cap, it's actually a barrier reef that we live on, with many bridges (and retired firefighters and cops) along the way. Up on Key Largo there's a guy from your job; name is Lance S. Further West from us is the City of Marathon; another NRFD Brother by the name of "Copi" lives out there. You can find your way to Key West by hopping from one retiree's home to another and yes, crossing a few bridges along the way.

Lance was my nozzle man down at neptune hose (E-24). While searching in a dark basement of the post office during a high CO level (in the exposure), he was right behind me....when I heard a giant thud. I turned to find he has vannished. I had cleared a pipe by less than an inch, he walked right into it.

Edited by Bnechis