Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Membership Idea

15 posts in this topic

Seth and the Moderating Team,

I have an idea that you might want to consider. Suppose EMTBravo was to come out with a "Membership Card" similar to what we get as members of the IAFF, PBA or NYSPFRA. Let's say you develop an annual membership card; you could mail them to members if they support the site during fundraising. Before you introduce the cards, you go to different vendors, merchants, etc., and develop a partnership, whereby if a card carrying member of EMTBravo (say you set the minimum contribution at $25 per year) goes to the merchant and does business, they become entitled to percentage discounts on purchases.

It works for both EMTBravo as well as steering business toward the participating merchants.

This could be a way to build in a financial incentive to become a supporting member of the board, and merchants (particularly those that are emergency services specific) would probably be very interested in developing a co-marketing partnership.

I thought of this yesterday. I have a Winn Dixie food store membership card, and based on my purchases, I get discounts on Shell gasoline purchases. Yesterday I inserted my WD card right into the gas pump and received 20 cents off per gallon for 20 gallons. That was a six dollar savings at the pump, and all because I bought my food at Winn Dixie.

"Food for thought."

Edit: Also this program might provide incentive for the merchants to advertise on the site.

Edit 2: Sorry lol, a work in progress. You could also think about building a tiered membership system.

Let's say:

Basic membership @$25: membership card w/merchant discount package.

Gold membership @$50: membership card w/merchant discount package, EMTBravo tee-shirt, and another item (golf course discount or something) to provide incentive to join the upgraded membership.

Platinum membership @$100: Lifetime membership card/w merchant discount package, tee-shirt, golf course package, and a Westchester Firefighters Pipes and Drums C.D.

Edited by efdcapt115
PEMO3, sfrd18 and x129K like this

Okay, lets take a step back because I'm really interested in the 20 cents x 20 gallons = saving $6.00. In these tough economic times I'm will to learn any trick available.

Anything to support the sites we enjoy I think its a good idea but money costs money and time. I don't know exactly how many investors there are but I bet the outcome will be the same people buying this that donate. Wouldn't a premium access for pay program get the same results and cost less time/money? By get results I mean reward participants for donating. A discount at Black Bear is never going to pertain to me or the guys that long on in Ohio.

Or twice a year shut the site down and do a fund drive like NPR. They say right on the air the sooner they get the $ they want the sooner you get the programming you enjoy.

Okay, lets take a step back because I'm really interested in the 20 cents x 20 gallons = saving $6.00. In these tough economic times I'm will to learn any trick available.

Anything to support the sites we enjoy I think its a good idea but money costs money and time. I don't know exactly how many investors there are but I bet the outcome will be the same people buying this that donate. Wouldn't a premium access for pay program get the same results and cost less time/money? By get results I mean reward participants for donating. A discount at Black Bear is never going to pertain to me or the guys that long on in Ohio.

Or twice a year shut the site down and do a fund drive like NPR. They say right on the air the sooner they get the $ they want the sooner you get the programming you enjoy.

I hear what you are saying about a discount at "Black Bear" isn't going to pertain to guys like you or me; as I log in from Florida. Doing partnerships with merchants that sell online would apply to everybody. The idea would be to provide financial incentive to get MORE members to join then currently voluntarily contribute. Say the site does a "free advertising" deal with an online merchant in exchange for discounts to supporting members. Now the free membership still gives you access to the site, but if you want 10% off from "XYZ Emergency Equipment Co" then you buy the membership.

Doing tee-shirts; the site could sell them to everybody, or provide them for free to a member purchasing a premium membership. Same with the Pipes and Drums C.D., the site buys them from the band at a discount, offers them for sale through the site in exchange for the free advertising deal with the band. And also includes a free copy with the shirt, and the merchant package for the highest membership.

I think what this would do is increase the number of members who contribute to the site, because now you build in a financial incentive to do so.

If you go with the pay-for access model; good luck. If Rupert Murdoch and also the NY Times are struggling with that model, how do you think they're going to make it work here?

To get the Shell gas discount, just join the Winn Dixie card program and buy your food there, and your gas at Shell. A co-marketing arrangement that made me think it could work here.

To get the Shell gas discount, just join the Winn Dixie card program and buy your food there, and your gas at Shell. A co-marketing arrangement that made me think it could work here.

I get the same deal with my Stop and Shop card

Price Chopper has the same deal with gas incentives. You use your PC card and for every $50 in groceries you get $.10 off a gas purchase at any Sunoco dealer. Most people spend $100-200 each time to the grocery store, giving you $.40 off per gallon, build that up for a month and I have seen some people get gas for free.

I say that the membership card, although meaning well, will not work too much. EMTBravo has a hard time getting people to donate $1 or 2 as it is for the great site we use everyday, I think he would get nothing but grief if he tried that. You could do like another site I belong to and just charge $2-3 a year for annual dues; if you dont pay you dont get in to the site. If we have 3000 members, at $2 a person, thats $6,000. That covers operating costs and leaves some for the ability to make shirts and other promotional material to give out as incentive for membership awards.

Price Chopper has the same deal with gas incentives. You use your PC card and for every $50 in groceries you get $.10 off a gas purchase at any Sunoco dealer. Most people spend $100-200 each time to the grocery store, giving you $.40 off per gallon, build that up for a month and I have seen some people get gas for free.

I say that the membership card, although meaning well, will not work too much. EMTBravo has a hard time getting people to donate $1 or 2 as it is for the great site we use everyday, I think he would get nothing but grief if he tried that. You could do like another site I belong to and just charge $2-3 a year for annual dues; if you dont pay you dont get in to the site. If we have 3000 members, at $2 a person, thats $6,000. That covers operating costs and leaves some for the ability to make shirts and other promotional material to give out as incentive for membership awards.

I respect your opinion moose. But how do you see it as causing grief?

Stop and Shop does this as well. We paid $3.20/Gal the other day because we banked our savings. Of course we spend tons of $$$ at Stop and Shop so it's nice to get something back!

I respect your opinion moose. But how do you see it as causing grief?

Im sorry, I didnt mean to make it look like I was insulting your post and I hope you didnt take it that way cap. Being a former moderator I have seen other attempts at raising the necessary funds to run the site so Seth didnt have to out of his pocket, and they all ended with grief basically. Most of the members do not realize what they have in this site and they could care less, they just like to snoop around and read other posts and only get involved when its real hairy, and when you mention money...they jump up in protest and start the idle threats to the staff of leaving EMTBravo and going to other sites if they have to pay. Thats my only reason for saying what I did.

I like the idea but I see two things; the costs of printing the cards and mailing them to members, and whether or not you could get the backing from businesses to make it work. Maybe use your idea for an incentive type deal instead, make an annual membership fee of $1-2 with options of making donations as well, and the biggest donation gets the member package of like a round of golf and some gift cards to LEO, EMS and fire stores or something to say "thank you" for the extra donation.

I agre though, something needs to happen to help Seth pay for the expenses of the site, its too much for just him and the few die hard donators that still give regularly. I unfortunately have not been able to give any in a long time but my family comes first. Hopefully I will be in a better spot soon and I can shovel $20 or more towards the cause.

Stay Safe

Moose

Im sorry, I didnt mean to make it look like I was insulting your post and I hope you didnt take it that way cap. Being a former moderator I have seen other attempts at raising the necessary funds to run the site so Seth didnt have to out of his pocket, and they all ended with grief basically. Most of the members do not realize what they have in this site and they could care less, they just like to snoop around and read other posts and only get involved when its real hairy, and when you mention money...they jump up in protest and start the idle threats to the staff of leaving EMTBravo and going to other sites if they have to pay. Thats my only reason for saying what I did.

I like the idea but I see two things; the costs of printing the cards and mailing them to members, and whether or not you could get the backing from businesses to make it work. Maybe use your idea for an incentive type deal instead, make an annual membership fee of $1-2 with options of making donations as well, and the biggest donation gets the member package of like a round of golf and some gift cards to LEO, EMS and fire stores or something to say "thank you" for the extra donation.

I agre though, something needs to happen to help Seth pay for the expenses of the site, its too much for just him and the few die hard donators that still give regularly. I unfortunately have not been able to give any in a long time but my family comes first. Hopefully I will be in a better spot soon and I can shovel $20 or more towards the cause.

Stay Safe

Moose

Nah I didn't take it that way Brother. Was just wondering how you felt about it, if you would explain your position a little more, which you certainly did. Have a good one.

That is all well and good but what about us CANUCKS in Canada.

That is all well and good but what about us CANUCKS in Canada.

An EMTBravo emblazoned Hockey Puck ey?

An EMTBravo emblazoned Hockey Puck ey?

Or how about just being happy with the fact that your hockey teams are better than ours??? :rolleyes::P

Thats why making a membership appreciation care package would work out OK, give us gift cards or EMTBravo shirts. The gift cards nowadays can be used online which is good for those of you with better hockey teams and better bacon... B)

Stay Safe.

Moose

Hmmmm....interesting concept.

Or how about just being happy with the fact that your hockey teams are better than ours??? :rolleyes::P

Thats why making a membership appreciation care package would work out OK, give us gift cards or EMTBravo shirts. The gift cards nowadays can be used online which is good for those of you with better hockey teams and better bacon... B)

Stay Safe.

Moose

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnepeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal may be beter; but I still follow the BOSTON BRUINS.

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnepeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal may be beter; but I still follow the BOSTON BRUINS.

LOL...Im pleading the fifth amendment and keeping my team a secret for now :rolleyes: