Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Thinking of joining the F.D. but need help

13 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about joining my local fire dept as a vollie but have been up in the air about it. I'd like to do it but I'd like to join as exterior. From what I've been told I have 2 choices, do Scene Ops or FF1 but not go through any of the interior? Does that make sense?

I've been told Scene Ops is only offered like every 2 years or something along those lines. If I do the 2 month course of FF1, does that include every saturday or just 1 per month? This is where my dilemma comes in because I work on Saturday's and my boss wouldn't be very happy with me giving up 2 months worth of Saturdays.

If I choose to wait for Scene Ops, does this mean I won't be able to go on any calls until I go through the training?

Thanks in advance, your advice is greatly appreciated!

I've been thinking about joining my local fire dept as a vollie but have been up in the air about it. I'd like to do it but I'd like to join as exterior. From what I've been told I have 2 choices, do Scene Ops or FF1 but not go through any of the interior? Does that make sense?

I've been told Scene Ops is only offered like every 2 years or something along those lines. If I do the 2 month course of FF1, does that include every saturday or just 1 per month? This is where my dilemma comes in because I work on Saturday's and my boss wouldn't be very happy with me giving up 2 months worth of Saturdays.

If I choose to wait for Scene Ops, does this mean I won't be able to go on any calls until I go through the training?

Thanks in advance, your advice is greatly appreciated!

The best thing to do would be to ask the chief of the department what you would be allowed to do.

firedude likes this

The lack of the Scene Support Operations course offered by WCDES has caused us to see members take Firefighter I that don't want to and/or having to extend the By-Law requiring someone to finish their basic training within their first year.

We had our own Instructor who gave this class once or twice per year until the county put an end to it (some BS from the state supposedly).

Allow volunteer departments to have an MTO and we all could improve ourselves (there I go with the crazy talk again...)

The lack of the Scene Support Operations course offered by WCDES has caused us to see members take Firefighter I that don't want to and/or having to extend the By-Law requiring someone to finish their basic training within their first year.

We had our own Instructor who gave this class once or twice per year until the county put an end to it (some BS from the state supposedly).

Allow volunteer departments to have an MTO and we all could improve ourselves (there I go with the crazy talk again...)

That's what's preventing me from doing this. I want to join but shouldn't have to take FF1 to be an exterior when there's a course offered specifically for it but due to lack of support, I can't.

If u wanna join the fd and know which ur talkin about better just join fire police and stay exterior. If u wanna go interior u know where the southside is!

That's what's preventing me from doing this. I want to join but shouldn't have to take FF1 to be an exterior when there's a course offered specifically for it but due to lack of support, I can't.

Rockland occassionally offers SSO as well. Their link is here.

Talk with someone of the Company you are looking to join. Ask them to check their Company By-Laws to find out how long a new member has to complete the required initial training (FF1 or Scene Support). I know my Company has a set time limit that new members must complete this training.

Talk with someone of the Company you are looking to join. Ask them to check their Company By-Laws to find out how long a new member has to complete the required initial training (FF1 or Scene Support). I know my Company has a set time limit that new members must complete this training.

Mine doesn't :)

In fact most of my compay is exterior, so if you're interested in joining somewhere in the eastern part of town PM me ....

I think it's a year and someone told me in this particular company's by-laws it reads you have to be interior to join which to me is obsurd!It's also looking like there's a bunch of bs drama involved so I'm kind of thinking otherwise cuz I try to steer clear of that.

Edited by peterose313

There is drama in a lot of departments don't let that steer you away go do the job you're there to do and leave.

I've been dealing with the drama and bs for thirty five years. You just have to focus on what you are there for. For me it is the Firematic (and firefighting) side of the job. Don't let the rest get you down, just focus on the job.

firedude likes this

First the handful of SSO courses offered were not very well attended. Second...being they weren't very well attended....and the constant demand for FF 1 courses...there are only so many instructors and resources to go around to conduct such courses. I have yet to have 1 student walk into a FF 1 class with the sole intention of gaining a SSO certification. In fact the topics covered in SSO are things that a department can do on their own and be in compliance with OSHA being SSO offers no real additional protection from anything. No disrespect to anyone but I'd rather see state hours or county instructor hours go to a course that will have a full compliment of interior firefighters to be trained or enhanced...then to waste them on a class that I've seen at a maximum have 8 or so people in it. Especially with the way budgets are going on the state and county level.

As far as volunteer departments having an MTO...that idea has been kicked around a few times. Only answers I ever got was it would be difficult for oversight and lets face it for every department and person (like you) who would do the right thing the right way...there are 3 to 5 that won't. Additionally, OFPC is not stupid...that would put them right out of business. Also how many departments have the ability or those who qualify to be a MTO? How many other members are instructors with instructor certification so the courses (for example FF 1...to even assist with deliver you have to be certified to teach it) can be delivered. I'm all for progress but also have been in the teaching business long enough to know its not that simple.

As far as the original question about Saturdays....it depends on the course schedule. You will be hard pressed to find a FF 1 course that doesn't have Saturdays (I've never conducted nor seen one) involved being it would take forever to get the course done. SSO...you may see just an all evening class...but again the courses that were delivered had very low attendance numbers.