Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Georgetown, TX: Firefighter Exam-Good Shot, Great Department

10 posts in this topic

Georgetown is a great town to live, especially if you like outdoor recreational oppurtunites, with have all the amentites of a city nearby. Cost of living is cheap, and the economy is still strong relatively.

The FD is very progressive, and a complete expansion of one of their 4 stations, Station 2, just broke ground. Two new fire stations are planned, each to house an Engine, Brush Truck, and another a Quint and Tender.

Come down here for the weekend, it's worth the shot! Email me for details at seth@emtbravo.com for details if you're serious about coming down to test and getting out of all the BS in the northeast.

Job Title: Firefighter

Closing Date/Time: Fri. 10/28/11 11:59 PM Central Time

Salary: $35,000.00 - $36,268.00 Annually

Job Type: Full Time

Department: Fire Operations

FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.

Pay Grade: Civil Service Pay Scale

Hiring Range: $35,000 per year (Fire Cadet) $36,268 per year (Firefighter)

Work Schedule: Varies

Special Notes for Applicants: The written examination is scheduled for Saturday, November 12, 2011. Approximately the top 100 applicants will move forward to the physical agility course scheduled for the afternoon of November 12 and Sunday, November 13.

More information regarding the hiring process, agility course, and written examination is posted on our website:

http://civilservice.georgetown.org/fire-careers/firefighter-test-information/

Just wondering here... is this a Firefighter/paramedic position or just Firefighter?

Firefighter/EMT

Just wondering here... is this a Firefighter/paramedic position or just Firefighter?

firedude likes this

I wonder if they provide wake up calls and rides to the testing center like they do up here? I think NOT!!!! I love how they say it's your responsibility to pick up the "prep" manual it won't b mailed to you. Good for them, it's nice to see there are still some Depts. out there that won't lower their Standards! You want the Job that much then go get it!

Edited by FirNaTine
FDNY 10-75, BFD1054, JM15 and 1 other like this

As of today, they MAY be running an ALS Engine or Quint company for a large retirment community, or a new Engine company out that way.

So if you're a Paramedic, then that's in your favor. As is being a Military vetran coming from Iraq or Afghanistan through Fort Hood.

As far as residency requirements, you must live in the State Of Texas at time of hire. They work 24/48 A B and C shifts.

There is a VERY strict list of disqualifiers as well, so read carefully:

http://civilservice.georgetown.org/fire-careers/fire-disqualifiers/

You have to be on top of your game, period.

BTW, jetBlue and American Airlines fly direct to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, Delta flies direct from LaGuardia. Continental flies direct from Newark. If you take the toll road when you get here, the closest hotels near the testing sites are only a 1/2 hour away. It's a very well run, organized process.

Seth what is the cost of living out there? The salaries seem a little low. Also what is their top pay?

Seth what is the cost of living out there? The salaries seem a little low. Also what is their top pay?

Your salary is a base salary. It doesn't include overtime or other stipends. It goes up quite nicely.Pay also depends on performance. If you want to be a slouch and just sit around the firehouse, you're not going to make much. If you want to train and particpate in other FD activities, you will be compensated accordingly. City benefits and retirement are awesome. Check out the FD page, a lot of neat stuff:

http://fire.georgetown.org/

Cost of living is MUCH lower then the NY Metro area. You can afford to live in the same community in which you work. You can get a decent or new house from anywhere in the $90,000 to $150,000 range and taxes about $3,000 a year if you live in Georgetown. Keep in mind there is NO state income tax, and you live close to work, which lowers commuting costs. If you live north or west or east, you can have even more land, a bigger house, and lower taxes. And, if you're so inclined, you can even build your own house. Georgetown is a really great community to live in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgetown,_Texas

Also, broke ground on Station 5 this week. Will house an Engine and Truck company. The station will also serve as the city's EOC. An Apparatus Operator (step below Lt and can fill in for Lt), a Lt, and 2 firefighters will be assigned to each apparatus. A brush truck will also be housed at this location

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I work with guys who live over an hour away from my firehouse in The Bronx, and their still paying over $12,000 in taxes..............Getting real tired of these outrageous taxes in NY..............If I didn't have 12 years already into my city pension, I think I might have come down and took that test.

I like on the web site how they post the Eligibility Lists(PD). The top 50. Name, Rank and scores