Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon Lends Hartsdale A Ladder

10 posts in this topic

A few years ago, who would have thought that Mount Vernon would be lending other communities apparatus?

Well, they are in the process of lending Hartsdale a ladder.

For those who haven't been following, Hartsdale Tower Ladder 15, a 1994 FWD/Saulsbury(Body)/Baker Aerialscope (VA) has been out of service, at the Seagrave facility in Clintonville, WI. It has been out of service for a couple of years now, after many years of mechanical problems and damage to the boom. I think there is too much finger pointing and not enough funding going on right now. A friend at Seagrave said that when they physically took apart the boom sections, they weren't repairable due to years of neglect by properly trained mechanics and incorrect parts and procedues. They've probaly spent more in repairs of TL-15 over the years then the truck is worth.

With Hartsdale Fire District's budget being hit hard by tax ceratoris, two overbudget firehouse renovation/expansion projects, extensive legal costs,an expensive new Engine, and in my opinon poor financial foresight, there's no money for a new truck, let alone a refurb of TL-15, a demo Ladder, or even a used one. Some may recall Hartsdale FD had been using New Fairfield's Ex-1976 Seagrave non-NFPA compliant 100' RM aerial, which failed it's aerial certification in September, as well as had numerous mechnical problems. Fairview has been covering with their TL in the meantime.

This isn't the first time Hartsdale has had fleet problems and has gotten help from neighboring departments. In 1998, their two 1976 Ward LaFrances Engines (refurbs by Rnager in 1986) were on their last leg, with their spare, a pre-1970 red Maxim, being even worse. They bought the former Ardsley Engine 165 1979 Mack CF in 1998 to shore up their fleet, until the could order the twin 2000 Pierce Dash Engines (current 169 and 171). Many moons ago, they bought a 1950's American LaFrance midmount 100' ladder from White Plains. (Ladder 46). They bought another similar one from White Plains as a spare, and they alternated being in service, due to the extensive downtime both ladders had due to mechanical reasons and age. Until 2008, Hartsdale had been using the ex-Engine 169, one of the Wards, as a spare until the Spartan/4 Guys engine was delivered. Hartsdale Car 2172 is still operating a late 1990's Chevrolet Suburban with 100,000+ miles. That is their Shift Commander/IC vehicle (Deputy Chief). However, Car 2171 (Chief Of Department) recently took delivery of a new 2011 Chevrolet Suburban.

Kudos for Mount Vernon for turning their fleet around, and helping other departments like others have helped them in the past.

I hope for the brothers in Hartsdale and the citizens and businesses that depend on them that their Commisioners find the right thing to do, end this cycle of poor apparatus replacement funding, and find funding, somehwere, to replace the Tower Ladder with a similar type of Tower Ladder. It is a much needed device in Hartsdale, with cramped streets with multiple story apartment buildings built decades ago with exposure issues posing life hazards, and many of which hosuing senior citizens. I hope the union steps up and puts an apparatus age and condition clause in the next contract.

So, in a nutshell, Mount Vernon is lending Hartsdale their Spare Ladder 4, which I don't know what truck that is now that the new apparatus has been delivered.

firefighter59 likes this

Hello folks, I have not posted in a long time, just cant help myself, what has happened in 3 years:

New Rigs

New repeater portables

New Scotts

A real inventory of equipment

New CAD software and real IT network which we run

Replacement gear and washing and repair

BailOut systems

This is just a few of the examples of progress, Noah Lighty and Ted Beale have put us on a new path and they deserve a pat on the back, with the coming election we dont no what tommorow brings but they have shown leadership and that having your own people up top can make a difference. Lending Hartsdale a rig is a thank you from the past, we have received more then we gave. Might be my last post ( Law Dept.) Thanks to all for the past support.

Jim Loftus

( now a washed up calltaker and IT Whizard )

Graham26, gss131, FF398 and 10 others like this

Hartsdale and Stratford, CT should write a book about their apparatus problems in recent years! No department should go through this!

SageVigiles and sfrd18 like this

As SRS131EMTFF mentioned, Mount Vernon is lending the 1989 E-One Tower, former Ladder 3 and current Ladder 64, to Hartsdale FD for "long term use".

Hartsdale and Stratford, CT should write a book about their apparatus problems in recent years! No department should go through this!

Stratford is definitely one department that deserves simpathy when it comes to their apparatus fleet.

It's nice to hear that things are looking up for MVFD. Kudos to MVFD

Edited by PFDRes47cue

I saw a tower from Stratford today and thought it looked a little beat up, guess it is. Good luck Hartsdale, and good work by MV.

I'm sad to hear Ex-NFVFD Truck 4 failed its ladder testing, that truck served us extremely well.

Glad to see MVFD is helping out Hartsdale though, in the end that's what its all about.

Here is a pic I got of it today , It still has Mount Vernon markings on it.

post-20582-0-86352400-1333143033.png post-20582-0-11410000-1333143017.jpg