Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

New Rochelle puts lives at risk in firefighter cuts

25 posts in this topic

New Rochelle puts lives at risk in firefighter cuts

http://www.lohud.com/article/20111114/OPINION/111140311/New-Rochelle-puts-lives-risk-firefighter-cuts?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

The City of New Rochelle's proposal to further slash emergency first responder protections for all of its citizens is penny-wise and pound-foolish. The proposed cutback of $770,000 to the Fire Department will save New Rochelle taxpayers less than 3 cents per citizen per day.

While it is clear that the economy is taking its toll on cities, this plan would cause a further increase in fire and emergency response times. Because of these proposed cuts, citizens will need to ask whether their loved ones can survive the extra minutes it will now likely take when they are having a heart attack, stroke or are unconscious and trapped in a fire with a heavy, toxic smoke condition.

Over the past three years the city has cut deep into the bone, diminishing its own emergency response capability, as it has made several layers of cuts into the structure of the New Rochell Fire Department since 2008.

In 2008 the New Rochelle Fire Department had 168 firefighters. Under this plan, that would be cut to just 143 (a 15 percent cut since 2008), before taking into account that 10 members of that remaining fire force are currently unable to fight fires due to on-the-job injuries, including burns.

In 2008, the minimum on-duty staffing level was 29 firefighters per shift to protect the entire city. The proposal announced last week would lower that to just 24 firefighters effective Jan. 1 (equaling a 17 percent reduction).

Significantly closing one fire company, Ladder 12, at the Webster Avenue firehouse, will diminish by one-third the number of ladder companies able to respond to emergencies. While the job of engine companies is to extinguish fires and respond to medical emergencies, ladder companies conduct search, rescue and recovery of trapped civilians, in addition to the vital job of venting heavy heat from the floors above the fire.

The manpower cuts experienced by the New Rochelle Fire Department have also led to the idling of its life-saving, $1 million-plus specialized fire-rescue vehicle, because the city does not have enough firefighters to staff it. All of these cuts have already pushed the Fire Department to the breaking point and endanger public and firefighter safety.

This has led to the department regularly using only three firefighter engines, which is already 40 percent below the minimum standard set by the National Fire Protection Association of four firefighters and an officer per truck.

A landmark study by the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Institute of Science and Technology concluded that four firefighter crews can perform basic firefighting functions, including search and rescue significantly faster than three- and two-person crews.

The primary purpose of government is to provide for the health and well-being of its citizens. This cut will put New Rochelle residents and its firefighters lives at risk, all to save the grand sum of less than 3 cents per day. I believe our citizens' lives and the safety of New Rochelle is worth it.

The writer is a 26-year veteran of the New Rochelle Fire Department and president of Local 273 of the NRFD.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

The article was written by Byron Gray according to the link you posted.

Edited by CTFF

The article was written by Byron Gray according to the link you posted.

Oh yes thank you, I didnt see that.

Minimum staffing level changes begin today. Hopefully some kind of answer can be found so none of the NRFD members get laid off, and L12 remains open.

Lohud Article

I think yesterday there was a working fire in New Rochelle when Ladder 12 was OOS. If I read the incident report right, there was only one company left in service for ALL of New Rochelle. Eng. 25 at Stratton Road. I realize they undoubtedly called in MA but as a non-professional, to me that does seem risky.

In White Plains in summer 2010 a serious fire broke out in the basement of a restaurant downtown. A number of WPFD companies were already assigned to a serious incident at a Con Ed power station.

I believe the initial response was an engine and a truck. Probably a total of six or seven men. One of the firefighters first on the scene were quoted as saying they couldn't do much of anything until reinforcements arrived. The fire got out of control and ultimately destroyed the building and required a big response.

As a taxpayer I want economy but I want to be safe too.

dadbo46 likes this

"As a taxpayer I want economy but I want to be safe too."

You can have both - Its called a TOTAL 100% COUNTYWIDE CONSOLIDATION

I think yesterday there was a working fire in New Rochelle when Ladder 12 was OOS. If I read the incident report right, there was only one company left in service for ALL of New Rochelle. Eng. 25 at Stratton Road. I realize they undoubtedly called in MA but as a non-professional, to me that does seem risky.

In White Plains in summer 2010 a serious fire broke out in the basement of a restaurant downtown. A number of WPFD companies were already assigned to a serious incident at a Con Ed power station.

I believe the initial response was an engine and a truck. Probably a total of six or seven men. One of the firefighters first on the scene were quoted as saying they couldn't do much of anything until reinforcements arrived. The fire got out of control and ultimately destroyed the building and required a big response.

EMSer likes this

what is manning in NR per engine and truck and how many engines and trucks do they have?

I am sure that Barry can answer the manning of each apparatus (Engine Company and Ladder Company in New Rochelle, but I believe that NRFD has the following:

Station 1:

Tower Ladder 11

Engine 21

Rescue 4 (Not full-time unit - Staff with crew of TL11 when needed)

Station 2:

Engine 22

Ladder 12 (Now in Brownout situation due to Fiscal Cutbacks - Could be placed out of service permanently)

Station 3:

Engine 23

Ladder 13

Station 4:

Engine 24

Station 5:

Engine 25

what is manning in NR per engine and truck and how many engines and trucks do they have?

EMSer likes this

has the city asked for give backs from the FF's union to save these jobs?

Minimum of 2ff/1of on 5 engines (eng 21 get 1 additional ff).

Minimum of 2ff/1of on TL (cross mans Rescue 4 & 54)

Minimum of 3 (either 2ff/1of or 3ee) on Ladder 13 and up until a week ago on ladder 12.

Chief & aide

has the city asked for give backs from the FF's union to save these jobs?

We gave back to keep them on in 2010. The city kept them in 2011 because it was an election year.

We are currently out of contract since Jan 01, so nothing to give back till they come to the table.

"As a taxpayer I want economy but I want to be safe too."

You can have both - Its called a TOTAL 100% COUNTYWIDE CONSOLIDATION

Do you know that a 100% countywide consolidation will actually solve this?

I know it will cut the number of apparatus and other costs, in some of the career depts it will spread crews out providing better coverage at the same cost.

The big question in a countywide consolidation (vs. multiple regional ones) is if some depts. have true staffing problems, that they have managed to keep undercover (and we all know who they are), then once the "county" goes in and see's it, they might actually have to address the shortages. This could cost $$$$, but the communities will be safer.

Cant be determined without studying the problem.

Edited by Bnechis

A couple of smaller paid Depts. Upstate paid for a consolidation study on merging both depts total manpower 65 ff and off study said would save between 200,000 - 400,000 and generate about 350,000 -500,000 by running FD ambulances savings would be a few years down the road and labor agreements would have to be worked out.

I believe that White Plains has volunteer firefighters, but never use them, perhaps they ought to consider utilizing their volunteers in situations like this.

yeah so they could cut staff even more no way.

791075 likes this

yeah so they could cut staff even more no way.

Not really; the union could craft language and insert it into the contract that dictates that all career FF's have to be called in first before calling out the volunteers.

I believe that White Plains has volunteer firefighters, but never use them, perhaps they ought to consider utilizing their volunteers in situations like this.

The volunteers did not respond to 1 call in over 30 years. It was a social club. THey have no converted it into a CERT team.

Not really; the union could craft language and insert it into the contract that dictates that all career FF's have to be called in first before calling out the volunteers.

Since, they have never called "all" career members back, what would be the point of having volunteers that will never be called.

I hesitate to bring this up since I'm neither a paid or volunteer firefighter. I sure don't want to help fan any flames. But I did grow up in White Plains and have friends who are paid members of the WPFD. Some I've known going back thirty years. Yes they're all retired now. B)

I had another friend who was a volunteer member of WPVFD South Side Engine Company. They were attached to the engine company in Station Four (Engine 68 which is now closed.)

Occasionally the volunteers were used, primarily at multi-alarms fires for things like traffic control and to stretch hose. From what he told me that was about it. He didn't receive much training.

One of my buddies who was a paid member of WPFD told me there was one volunteer from WPVFD who used to show up at his firehouse occasionally. He was primarily a buff though but he was allowed to lend a hand.

What is the situation like now? Would White Plains have to do a lot of training to get the volunteers ready to work at a fire scene alongside professionals? I'm sure they would.

Im going to go ot slightly. If im correct Engine 22 which is is part of the County Squad and is considered Squad 2, now again i might be wrong but when the need arises for the squad the truck company would jump into the engine and they would take the role as Squad 2. If ladder 12 does close what would happen to that??

Since, they have never called "all" career members back, what would be the point of having volunteers that will never be called.

Still its an option; better to have something you may never use as opposed to needing it and not having it. There are ways to craft language protecting career jobs in the event that they wanted to utilize volunteer firemen at fire scenes; however, if as you say, they have been converted to CERT Team, then its a moot point.

So is Ladder 12 staffed or not? I should just call Rende, but its late and his wife gets pissed when I call after the babies are asleep. How can they close the one haz mat decon part of the response matrix? Shouldn't Westchester be footing part of the bill for them from all the DHS money they get?

bigrig77 likes this

So is Ladder 12 staffed or not? I should just call Rende, but its late and his wife gets pissed when I call after the babies are asleep. How can they close the one haz mat decon part of the response matrix? Shouldn't Westchester be footing part of the bill for them from all the DHS money they get?

L 12 is on a day to day basis. If the # of on duty members is below 27 then L12 goes out of service and the remaining members get detailed out to other houses. New Rochelle isn't the only dept capable of doing decon there are other depts in the WCSOTF that can be used.

NRFD restores staffing?

Yes...No...Maybe.

Last night the city manager & the finance commissioner advised the city council that they had budgeted our health insurance based on previous estimates from the state. This week the figure from the state was reduced by about $1m. Leaving that amount available in the budget. The City council requested the budget be ammended to not have FD or PD (crossing guards) layoffs. They have still not voted on the budget, and wont for 2-3 weeks, but it looks like they do not want those layoffs.

We are still lossing positions due to attrition and will still be at the lowest manning levels in 75 years.